Week 2 GDT: Washington Commanders @ Denver Broncos

Broncofan

On 9/14/2023 at 9:00 AM, Dbrog24 said:

I like the idea of this as I am already struggling to be excited about this next game. I've seen you bring up the 60s Broncos a lot recently, is this how you tried to cope with the products that were on the field at the time? Also random, but how did we end up getting out of that eventually? (I really should know more history about us than I do!)

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but moose season is coming to a close and I've got some friends here trying to get their bull. Pretty busy.

Anyway, 1st question is yeah, focusing on different match ups helps a lot. You could spend half a game watching Art Shell and Rich Jackson go at it, two of the best in the biz. Watching the rookies is always fun and trying to spot the talent that will be foundational in a year or two. Watch Surtain play against top WR's, Meinerz and his wildman bit at RG. It's lots tougher to do on the tube rather than in the stands but you can still do it.

As far as turning the franchise around, that was John Ralston. He believed there were no shortcuts to developing a winning franchise, just draft and develop. A far cry from the "swing for the fences" short term attitude that always fell way short that we kept through the 60's He brought a great coaching staff, and his 2nd year here gave us the first winning record in our history. 5 years later they fired Ralston, brought in Red Miller and he took us the the SB that same year. Basically we've stuck to "draft and develop" ever since with the exception of Shanahan.  He was a bit like Miller. Great game day coach, took the team Reeves built and hit a couple of FA bargains and got us our two SB's. He was terrible at draft and develop though and we just floundered in mediocrity for a long time.

Anyway, I'd imagine you know the rest. Paton decided to go back to the quick fix, swing for the fences approach and that just hasn't turned out so well. It's going to take lots of time, patience and hard work to get us back into serious contention. Here's hoping Sean is this decades John Ralston.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

As far as turning the franchise around, that was John Ralston. He believed there were no shortcuts to developing a winning franchise, just draft and develop. A far cry from the "swing for the fences" short term attitude that always fell way short that we kept through the 60's He brought a great coaching staff, and his 2nd year here gave us the first winning record in our history. 5 years later they fired Ralston, brought in Red Miller and he took us the the SB that same year. Basically we've stuck to "draft and develop" ever since with the exception of Shanahan.  He was a bit like Miller. Great game day coach, took the team Reeves built and hit a couple of FA bargains and got us our two SB's. He was terrible at draft and develop though and we just floundered in mediocrity for a long time.

Joel Buchsbaum of Pro Football Weekly praised a man that was in the Denver organization during the time of Ralston by the name of Carroll Hardy. It seemed to me that Ralston was following his advice more than Miller (whose draft choices were awful). 

As for Shanahan, I credit Wade Phillips for putting in the foundation of those SB winning teams. He brought in guys like Elam, Rouen, Zimmerman, Habib, Crockett, and Nalen. Shanahan continued what he did and took the team over the top. Had nothing to do with Reeves, who was dragged kicking and screaming by Elway to three Super Bowls in the 80's. In my opinion, Reeves should have been fired after the 1990 5-11 season. 

4 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Joel Buchsbaum of Pro Football Weekly praised a man that was in the Denver organization during the time of Ralston by the name of Carroll Hardy. It seemed to me that Ralston was following his advice more than Miller (whose draft choices were awful). 

As for Shanahan, I credit Wade Phillips for putting in the foundation of those SB winning teams. He brought in guys like Elam, Rouen, Zimmerman, Habib, Crockett, and Nalen. Shanahan continued what he did and took the team over the top. Had nothing to do with Reeves, who was dragged kicking and screaming by Elway to three Super Bowls in the 80's. In my opinion, Reeves should have been fired after the 1990 5-11 season. 

You can't say that. Too many of the players on those teams were brought in by Reeves. The Phillips note is a good one. I'd sorta forgotten Wade.

The name Hardy really rings a bell. I've slept since then though.

14 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Funny thing is when McD was our HC he would come in here and troll us about him. 

Haha this bit does make me chuckle, as I'm sure it does for most vet posters around here.

Still, I'm all for people chatting big when they win rivalries. It would be boring if everyone was civil.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Funny thing is when McD was our HC he would come in here and troll us about him. 

Times change. Now he's a Bronco buster. 

In all seriousness.... I don't think he'll amount to much. I support any coach getting 3 years to carry out their vision assuming they don't completely fall off the rails.

On 9/15/2023 at 12:10 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

When the injuries happened last year, Hackett got absolutely obliterated. It was all his fault for not playing the starters in preseason and for a light camp.

Well, Payton did the opposite, the injuries have happened again, yet absolute crickets from all media and twitter pundits .....

It's time we all accept the truth - this team is cursed for having the funnest time possible as an NFL fan when Peyton Manning was here. Sooner we accept it, sooner we all reach closure.

It's been 8 seasons, 5 head coaches (excluding Rosburg), 6 starting QB's, 6 starting RB's, and 7 offensive coordinators since we've fielded a team that scored more than 21 ppg. That's basically half a dozen complete offensive rebuilds with zero results to show for it. Cursed indeed

• Like 1