A 2008-esque loss, Packers (1-1) fall to the Falcons (2-0) - Week 2 postgame thread

Striker

4 hours ago, Laces Out said:

oh for sure, i just think media is capitalizing on the 6/0 bit in two games to start the season, which isn't surprising.

I think Love's best throw this season was his incompletion in the corner of the endzone yesterday that the DB made a fantastic play on. That ball was a beauty.

So yeah stats can be goofy.

Wicks needs to work on his "late hands".  When you stick your hands out too early the DB knows the ball is incoming.  

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

If the reality is that Bakh just isn't getting back to being a reliable presence at LT, I'm kind of fine with plugging in the young guys and letting this season play out.  

Bakh is fine, he'll be out there Sunday. This was a planned maintenance game but Matt LaFleur can't say that because our fan base doesn't get it.

17 hours ago, Pugger said:

IMO the fact MLF kept Barry around this season is a fireable offense.  A unit with this much talent shouldn't be as lousy as it is.

Help me out here, forum…

…this situation with Barry kind of reminds me of Sherman and Ted. (I think I have this right) Ted lets Sherman keep his job with a suspicion he won’t do well. Then, with fresh talent from HIS draft he hires McCarthy following a 4-12 season.

Organizationally, could Murphy and Gute be cold-blooded enough to keep Barry as a meat puppet* to accrue better draft standing and then fire him for a fresh DC in 2024?

It plays in my head, but it seems way too cynical and conspiratorial to be fact. 

*I don’t think meat puppet is the right word. Lame duck, zombie coach, scapegoat…? Barry’s job is to be himself, suck and get fired, whatever you call that. 

Edited by Uffdaswede

1 minute ago, Uffdaswede said:

Help me out here, forum…

…this situation with Barry kind of reminds me of Sherman and Ted. (I think I have this right) Ted lets Sherman keep his job with a suspicion he won’t do well. Then, with fresh talent from HIS draft he hires McCarthy following a 4-12 season.

Organizationally, could Murphy and Gute be cold-blooded enough to keep Barry as a meat puppet to accrue better draft standing and then fire him for a fresh DC in 2024?

It plays in my head, but it seems way to cynical and conspiratorial to be fact. 

possible, Gutekunst did the same with McCarthy, I think the boat gets rocky when ya fire more then one cord at a time, the new coach, brings new schemes, which often means his schemes require different type players, do that on both sides of the ball and now you are certainly in rebuild mode, I think thats why we don't want to do that, just to much upheaval in one off season.

7 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Help me out here, forum…

Organizationally, could Murphy and Gute be cold-blooded enough to keep Barry as a meat puppet* to accrue better draft standing and then fire him for a fresh DC in 2024?

It plays in my head, but it seems way too cynical and conspiratorial to be fact. 

*I don’t think meat puppet is the right word. Lame duck, zombie coach, scapegoat…? Barry’s job is to be himself, suck and get fired, whatever you call that. 

Said this in the other thread but I believe the FO looked at this as a throw away season and next year our vacant DC position will be much more attractive to potential candidates. With our draft capital, ascending young players and cap space, we should be considered a top contender next year. Hopefully it lands us Leonard or Saleh if he gets canned.

5 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Said this in the other thread but I believe the FO looked at this as a throw away season and next year our vacant DC position will be much more attractive to potential candidates. With our draft capital, ascending young players and cap space, we should be considered a top contender next year. Hopefully it lands us Leonard or Saleh if he gets canned.

Right. It makes sense.

But it’s kind of an ugly thing to say out loud behind closed doors.

One poster mentioned that we shouldn’t look for ANY free agent help this year, and that also plays with the theme of mediocrity now, excellence next year. 

Edited by Uffdaswede

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

my decision to fly out of Atlanta Monday morning at 6:45 was perhaps worse than any decision Barry made during the game.

avoid Monday mornings at ATL. Woof.

I was in the Atlanta airport at 3 am a few years back and came across a lady who was lost and spoke no English. I looked at her ticket and she was like five concourses away from her gate. In my bad Spanish I had to use the word “train” to indicate how she needed to use that shuttle tram to get where she needed to be. Knowing that you can’t take a train to Puerto Rico she left me in the hopes of finding a more sane person.

That airport is insanely large.

2 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

I was in the Atlanta airport at 3 am a few years back and came across a lady who was lost and spoke no English. I looked at her ticket and she was like five concourses away from her gate. In my bad Spanish I had to use the word “train” to indicate how she needed to use that shuttle tram to get where she needed to be. Knowing that you can’t take a train to Puerto Rico she left me in the hopes of finding a more sane person.

That airport is insanely large.

security lines were bonkers. Plane was like 70% full

of people (1) who got there more than 90min early and (2) who sprinted