A 2008-esque loss, Packers (1-1) fall to the Falcons (2-0) - Week 2 postgame thread

Striker

An interesting blurb from Silverstein for everyone (including me) who's been down on Savage for not busting up the flea flicker

Safety Darnell Savage could have played the ball better on a 45-yard flea-flicker completion that receiver Mack Hollins leaped to make. But Savage had to come all the way from the other side of the field to even get in the picture, so it wasn’t the easiest play.

It was Alexander who froze for no reason given he was in man coverage and his only responsibility was to cover Hollins. Savage wouldn’t have had to make the play if Alexander would have followed his man to the end of the play like he should have.

• Like 3

I have no problem with Love's decision here to target Wicks but over the next few weeks, I think he needs to make it a priority to target Musgrave. The guy is constantly open. He was wide open later in the game on the throw to Doubs on the sideline as well. Again, no issue with Love going to Doubs because it ended up being a nice play, but hopefully Love and Co. are taking note in the film room that Musgrave is consistently winning. 

• Like 1

I have to admit that after re-watching the defensive debacle vs ATL, I am much more anti-player vs anti-Barry now than I was on Sunday night.  There were some bad situations due to scheme/alignments, but defensive players not doing their job was a far bigger issue in this game.  Particularly on the edge.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I have to admit that after re-watching the defensive debacle vs ATL, I am much more anti-player vs anti-Barry now than I was on Sunday night.  There were some bad situations due to scheme/alignments, but defensive players not doing their job was a far bigger issue in this game.  Particularly on the edge.

At the end of the day, it still comes down to coaching.

Edited by NFLGURU

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I have no problem with Love's decision here to target Wicks but over the next few weeks, I think he needs to make it a priority to target Musgrave. The guy is constantly open. He was wide open later in the game on the throw to Doubs on the sideline as well. Again, no issue with Love going to Doubs because it ended up being a nice play, but hopefully Love and Co. are taking note in the film room that Musgrave is consistently winning. 

All part of Love growing into the role, but seeing that one hurts.  This forum would be all over the "Rodgers ignores the middle of the field!" narrative had it been AR who went outside rather than targeting a wide open Musgrave over the middle. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yep I came to the same conclusion for the most part but I do think Barry played a roll in the 2nd half. He should have stacked the box more and dared Ridder to throw the ball instead we let Ridder have the best of both worlds both on the ground and then through the PA scheme.... Just wasn't very good all around in the 2nd half. 

Looked like a game where the defense started sniffing its own farts after the Bears and wasn't playing nearly as sound especially on the back end. 

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

Yep I came to the same conclusion for the most part but I do think Barry played a roll in the 2nd half. He should have stacked the box more and dared Ridder to throw the ball instead we let Ridder have the best of both worlds both on the ground and then through the PA scheme.... Just wasn't very good all around in the 2nd half. 

Looked like a game where the defense started sniffing its own farts after the Bears and wasn't playing nearly as sound especially on the back end. 

Oh, for sure Barry is not blameless.  It's just not as simple as saying "fire Barry" the way many want it to be.  I can't be too critical though.  I was definitely on the "fire Barry!" train after the game, and still think he is part of the problem.  In this particular game, I just think multiple players not executing basic responsibilities was a bigger problem.  Some of that is coaching, but the problems were so basic it mostly comes down to players ignoring their role in the scheme.  That's a player issue.

• Like 3

I guess we can argue now about how "fine" Bakh is.

Bakhtiari experienced swelling in his knee preceding Green Bay’s 25-24 loss to the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday, LaFleur said Monday and didn’t play. LaFleur said he doesn’t believe Bakhtiari would have played even if the game had taken place at Lambeau Field.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Coaches can only do so much.  These Edge players are not being coached to ignore their contain responsibilities.  At some point it's the players.

Coach also needs to put the right guys in the roles. I'm not sure that was the case consistently enough vs ATL either. Blame is shared l, of course, it's just really disappointing overall to have lost repeatedly to the run in 6-man boxes

17 hours ago, squire12 said:

How does this compare to the previous 4bseasons through 2 games?  How do those numbers factor in Rodgers checking out of a run play to a pass play?

I have no freaking clue

Looking to compare GB to the league, and they are the 3rd most conservative pass/run split

Edited by skibrett15

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Oh, for sure Barry is not blameless.  It's just not as simple as saying "fire Barry" the way many want it to be.  I can't be too critical though.  I was definitely on the "fire Barry!" train after the game, and still think he is part of the problem.  In this particular game, I just think multiple players not executing basic responsibilities was a bigger problem.  Some of that is coaching, but the problems were so basic it mostly comes down to players ignoring their role in the scheme.  That's a player issue.

Barry wasn't blameless but...

1)Jaire was really bad.

2)Gary wasn't much better.

3) When the cards were on the table Bijan was the best player on the field and we had no answer. 

• Like 2