A 2008-esque loss, Packers (1-1) fall to the Falcons (2-0) - Week 2 postgame thread

Striker

6 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Give me an example of a “great” QB doing this with 3 rookies and 2 second year pass catchers on the field.  

Point is, maybe his first read ran the wrong route, second read coverd and third read wrong route so he did the best he could. There’s a lot more to it than your making it out to be. 

Now, I’m not saying he’s “great” but he’s playing pretty damn good ball for his third start. Might still be the highest rated QB after this week. 

So you said pretty damn good and I said very good.  I don't think we are that far off.

From very good to great includes elevating the play of those other guys and being able to lead a game winning drive.  Not just stats.  Kirk Cousins gets stats and he ain't anything near great.

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

So you said pretty damn good and I said very good.  I don't think we are that far off.

From very good to great includes elevating the play of those other guys and being able to lead a game winning drive.  Not just stats.  Kirk Cousins gets stats and he ain't anything near great.

I just think your being pretty hard on the guy after 3 starts with the cast of super green players he’s surrounded by. 

Good players but very green. We’ve started the rebuild and so far, things look good. As his receivers mature, we may then see great. Maybe not but so far so good. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Sorry dude .. I've tried to understand you.  Either you are a troll and/or you just don't have a clue on qb's.  Whatever it is, as incog said " time to start ignoring some posters".

I do believe he's a GB fan, but he's obviously here to troll more than have real discussions.  Just seeing his quoted posts makes it quite clear that his goal is to agitate people.

9 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

I just think your being pretty hard on the guy after 3 starts with the cast of super green players he’s surrounded by. 

Good players but very green. We’ve started the rebuild and so far, things look good. As his receivers mature, we may then see great. Maybe not but so far so good. 

Not try to be confrontational, but I actually think his posts are pretty spot on.  Love has played well, he hasn't played great.  I think that's a fair assessment.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Not try to be confrontational, but I actually think his posts are pretty spot on.  Love has played well, he hasn't played great.  I think that's a fair assessment.

Agree, he's made some really good throws, that throw to Wicks in the corner was a dime.  He's gotten out and ran a few times and looked good doing it.  He's shown poise and command of the offense.  He's thrown 0 picks, which is outstanding.  

He had an opportunity to win the game and went 0/4 on the drive.  A dead person can accomplish that.  The moment was too big for him.

Overall. I like where he's at, he's got some things to work through, and I hope he continues to get better. Looking forward to watching his development. 

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 2

This was a team loss, in that every aspect of this game at every position failed to make plays too many times when the opportunity was there.

I don't know, maybe Dillon is a fullback.  Question is, is Wilson an NFL RB?

Maybe I missed it but waiting for PFF player grades to come out anxiously.  I have my grades, I want to see theirs. 

19 hours ago, craig said:

Does our o-line ever move people?  

Dillon got 55/15, so averaged 3.66.  I thought he wasted some opportunities to get an extra few crucial yards.  But for a between-the-tackles back, that doesn't seem that bad.  Better than Allgeier, the Falcons between-the-tackles guy, who got only 48/16,  

Bijan was an outside-the-tackles guy, and he got their running yards.  I think having outside-the-tackles running capacity is essential.  Taylor doesn't have that, either.  

Yes, they do.  And they are good at getting to the second level.  None of that happened on sunday.

Dillon is just.  Just.  Not good.  Right now does he even get a RB offer above 1.5M/year?  He seems like a JAG that can be replaced easily in the draft.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, StatKing said:

Atleast Rodgers could pull of a QB sneak and complete a 4th quarter pass. 

Eh.  He was also prone to taking sacks on 4'th down.

Also, he couldn't win a game on a final drive for quite some time after becoming a starter.

Those things take some time to learn.  Love is going to go through similar growing pains.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 15412 said:

This was a team loss, in that every aspect of this game at every position failed to make plays too many times when the opportunity was there.

I don't know, maybe Dillon is a fullback.  Question is, is Wilson an NFL RB?

Maybe I missed it but waiting for PFF player grades to come out anxiously.  I have my grades, I want to see theirs. 

If we are giving Love time, and the WRs/TEs time, we do have to give Wilson that same benefit of the doubt.  That said, he was a castoff from Denver, and did all of his damage in preseason games.  His very small sample size against regular season opponents is not very promising.  I don't think he has the blocking assignments down like Jones, Dillon, and Taylor do either.  Is he an NFL RB? Well, by the strictest definition, yes, he already is.  At the moment, he is not a guy that I think we want to be getting 20 carries or playing the majority of snaps from scrimmage.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, StatKing said:

He's been alright. I think it's safe to say at this point he isn't a bust. I just dont see anything special about him so far. Hopefully I'm wrong but everything so far tells me he's more of a Derek Carr than a Patrick Mahomes.

His outs were special throws.

The one that Wicks blew in the end zone was a gorgeous throw.

His TD to Doubs on the back shoulder in week one was a gorgeous throw.

His scrambling has been a special trait.

To me, he's much more down the road of Mahomes than Carr.  

To be fair, down the road means he's on the same road.  Mahomes is just light years ahead of him.  I don't mean to state that Love will be Mahomes.  But you brought up those two guys.

It is really hard to tell exactly what Love is right now, as he's been without key playmakers.  I also feel like the staff is really trying to protect him with their play calls.  Sooner or later the training wheels will come off and then we will really see what he is.  But I do think he's doing quite good for his first two games as QB1.

• Like 1

Boy, catching up on this thread really hurt.  I honestly feel badly for a few posters.

Because, honestly, Rodgers sucked last year with rookie pass catchers and a shaky line.

Love has these same pass catchers, only with more rookies and his best playmakers are missing major playing time.  While having a shaky offensive line.

And Love is doing better, statistically.

Just be happy that our QB looks the part of a good NFL QB through two weeks.  Because, he's going to look much better in a few games, and a whole lot worse in a few games.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

His outs were special throws.

The one that Wicks blew in the end zone was a gorgeous throw.

His TD to Doubs on the back shoulder in week one was a gorgeous throw.

His scrambling has been a special trait.

To me, he's much more down the road of Mahomes than Carr.  

To be fair, down the road means he's on the same road.  Mahomes is just light years ahead of him.  I don't mean to state that Love will be Mahomes.  But you brought up those two guys.

It is really hard to tell exactly what Love is right now, as he's been without key playmakers.  I also feel like the staff is really trying to protect him with their play calls.  Sooner or later the training wheels will come off and then we will really see what he is.  But I do think he's doing quite good for his first two games as QB1.

If he would have done anything at all in those last two drives I might be there with you but right now I just don't see special.

He's definitely a step above guys like Fields in terms of pocket presence and decision making but I want to see more wow plays.

I'm just greedy and have extremely high standards when it comes to QB. The last place I want us to be stuck in is QB purgatory.

1 minute ago, StatKing said:

If he would have done anything at all in those last two drives I might be there with you but right now I just don't see special.

He's definitely a step above guys like Fields in terms of pocket presence and decision making but I want to see more wow plays.

I'm just greedy and have extremely high standards when it comes to QB. The last place I want us to be stuck in is QB purgatory.

This is an extremely low bar.

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

How cute: Smith worried about our defense "identifying" and "adjusting"

"laughing" Meme Templates - Imgflip

Omg those plays are so gross. Watch 93, 95 and 97 get demolished by 2 guys on the 2nd one. Combined with us have 5 defenders to their 3 offensive left of center. 

Good God I could have picked those first downs up