Week 3 GDT: Bears @ Chiefs

Ty21

2 hours ago, JibjeResearch said:

Like I have said before.... Fields is not the big issue...  The Defense can't stop anybody....lolz🤣  and OL lolz ahahaha😂

There were some plays left on the field like the bomb Moore dropped but Fields was simply bad. He missed several easy throws because he's dropping his eyes and seeing ghosts. OL wasn't good by any means but he was as bad as they were.

Good QBs don't have to make many "wow" passes, but Fields makes several of those every week. The problem is good QBs make few of the "wtf" plays and Fields does 5+ of those each week. The Bears essentially are getting Good Rex/Bad Rex with Hester's legs.

24 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I stopped watching at 21-0.  I will read thread or rewatch later. Maybe. 

Debating about canceling my gamepass and coming back next year. 

YouTube posts a condensed highlight reel of sorts. Usually about 12 mins 

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

There were some plays left on the field like the bomb Moore dropped but Fields was simply bad. He missed several easy throws because he's dropping his eyes and seeing ghosts. OL wasn't good by any means but he was as bad as they were.

Good QBs don't have to make many "wow" passes, but Fields makes several of those every week. The problem is good QBs make few of the "wtf" plays and Fields does 5+ of those each week. The Bears essentially are getting Good Rex/Bad Rex with Hester's legs.

Fields is a good QB.  He played his style of football.  He needs to keep doing what he did yesterday with a little more accuracy and consistency with his feet and throws.  Now, give him some Defense. 

A little better play from his OLs and WRs will make him look good.

A much better Defense will win many games.  The Defense embarrassed the team yesterday!

That is where the Bears are at right now.

42 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

Fields is a good QB.  He played his style of football.  He needs to keep doing what he did yesterday with a little more accuracy and consistency with his feet and throws.  Now, give him some Defense. 

A much better Defense will win many games.  The Defense embarrassed the team yesterday!

I'm going to be honest, I have no idea why you think defense is the issue with Fields. Time of possession goes both ways. It isn't JUST defense that determines it. Fields can't keep the offense on the field too. If he needs the 2018 Bears defense to look good, then he isn't good. Is the defense bad? Obviously. But that matters more for the win/loss than it does for Fields' actual production.

Fields missing throws - both by not seeing them or just making a poor throw (and two drops I saw which wasn't on Fields) stops the clock. He isn't "a little" of anything from looking good. The offense going 4 plays, 5 plays, 7 plays, 1 play due to a fumble, 2 plays due to an INT, etc - That is 100% on the offense, not the defense. The most plays they could get in one drive yesterday was 11 - and they got all of 29 yards on that drive. They had one 75 yard drive at the end of the game then the next longest drive was 31 yards. That blows. You want the time of possession to go up? Then the Bears need to stop having an 8 second drive, a 14 second drive, followed by a 31 second drive. On 10 drives yesterday they had an average TOP of 2 minutes and 35 seconds. That is 100% on the offense, not the defense. 

My question is, when will Fields elevate his teammates? You said it yourself, OL and WRs need to make HIM look good. That isn't how it needs to be. If you're a franchise QB you need a baseline level of play all around you to be successful, that much is a given. But since you're the QB looking to take up 15% of the team's total cap space you need to be the one making THEM look better, not the other way around. 

A much better defense will win a lot of games, yes. So will a better QB. As bad is the defense is, the offense is just as bad. They've scored 15.7 ppg so far - the worst they have done since 2004 when Love took over as a rookie HC. How is THAT not embarrassing? KC scored almost as much yesterday as the Bears have in 3 games combined. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'm going to be honest, I have no idea why you think defense is the issue with Fields. Time of possession goes both ways. It isn't JUST defense that determines it. Fields can't keep the offense on the field too. If he needs the 2018 Bears defense to look good, then he isn't good. Is the defense bad? Obviously. But that matters more for the win/loss than it does for Fields' actual production.

Fields missing throws - both by not seeing them or just making a poor throw (and two drops I saw which wasn't on Fields) stops the clock. He isn't "a little" of anything from looking good. The offense going 4 plays, 5 plays, 7 plays, 1 play due to a fumble, 2 plays due to an INT, etc - That is 100% on the offense, not the defense. The most plays they could get in one drive yesterday was 11 - and they got all of 29 yards on that drive. They had one 75 yard drive at the end of the game then the next longest drive was 31 yards. That blows. You want the time of possession to go up? Then the Bears need to stop having an 8 second drive, a 14 second drive, followed by a 31 second drive. On 10 drives yesterday they had an average TOP of 2 minutes and 35 seconds. That is 100% on the offense, not the defense. 

My question is, when will Fields elevate his teammates? You said it yourself, OL and WRs need to make HIM look good. That isn't how it needs to be. If you're a franchise QB you need a baseline level of play all around you to be successful, that much is a given. But since you're the QB looking to take up 15% of the team's total cap space you need to be the one making THEM look better, not the other way around. 

A much better defense will win a lot of games, yes. So will a better QB. As bad is the defense is, the offense is just as bad. They've scored 15.7 ppg so far - the worst they have done since 2004 when Love took over as a rookie HC. How is THAT not embarrassing? KC scored almost as much yesterday as the Bears have in 3 games combined. 

The Bears Offense needs to get back to the 2nd half of last year.  Then Fields needs to fix his feet and throw the short/easy throws better and consistently.  This will get Fields to around 65%.  Then work hard to keep the TD/INT to 2/1.  This is do able....

And then.. the Defense needs to play better... like the Lovie's Tampa2!  The defense needs time to come together...  Hopefully,  the next game will click for them.

Get it now?

Just now, JibjeResearch said:

The Bears Offense needs to get back to the 2nd half of last year.  Then Fields needs to fix his feet and throw the short/easy throws better and consistently.  This will get Fields to around 65%.  Then work hard to keep the TD/INT to 2/1.  This is do able....

And then.. the Defense needs to play better... like the Lovie's Tampa2!  The defense needs time to come together...  Hopefully,  the next game will click for them.

Get it now?

There are many reasons why that is not working. For one, nobody in the NFL had reason to believe that Fields was going to suddenly turn into supercharged Michael vick going into last season, they definitely figured that out even in season last year. They dedicate a defenseman to him on every play, sometimes I think it might even be two. I don't think the path of doing what they did last year is as open as you might think. There is also the psychological aspect that you have acknowledged, I think fields and probably everyone else on this team is in a crap place right now and it's pretty hard to get psyched up I would imagine. 3rd of all I don't think that's part of the Betsy offense, and it sure seems like they're going to run that no matter what.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

You think this DL is going to generate pressure like the Bears did when they had Harris, Peppers, Melton, Ade, Brown, etc?Hell Alex Brown would be far and away the best player on this DL. He was the "weak" rusher out of the EDGE and 3T most years. Sorry, there isn't the talent to rush 4 and generate pressure, nor is there the same talent around the defense. Urlacher > Edmunds, Briggs > Edwards, Hillenmeyer > Sanborn (though that may change very soon, I do think Sanborn can play). Tillman > Johnson, etc. EJax is better than Conte but the difference between him and Mike Brown is about the same as Briggs vs Edwards. 

Scheme means nothing if you don't have the talent to run it. That's why Fields and Co can't just replicate the Greatest Show on Turf. 

Also I'm not going to romanticize the Lovie Smith Tampa 2. It wasn't a great scheme and the Bears defense was dependent on elite players at multiple spots. They had great defenses in 4 years - 2005, 2006, 2010, 2012. That's it. You look at those rosters and they could run damn near any scheme and kill it. They only had two other years where they were top-15 in PPG allowed - 2004 and 2011 and that was just barely. Then Lovie goes to TB and in his two years there they were bottom 7 in scoring. Frankly the Tampa 2 is just outdated with the way defenses spread the ball around to slots and athletic TEs. 

40 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

Get it now?

No

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JibjeResearch said:

The man didn't pass for 100 yards yesterday, why are we calling him a good QB?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

The man didn't pass for 100 yards yesterday, why are we calling him a good QB?

If the WRs caught the drops... and Fields had  made 2 more good throws and caught... His stats would look different...  These are correctable.  It takes effort and concentration by all team members.

But, the Defense was so bad... it would still be a lost....  I get it.

The Bears can go somewhere with Fields, but the Defense will bring the lost.

This is where the Bears are at.... 

Just now, JibjeResearch said:

If the WRs caught the drops... and Fields had  made 2 more good throws and caught... His stats would look different...  These are correctable.  It takes effort and concentration by all team members.

We're past hypotheticals. They're a fun exercise from time to time but they are not reality.

The reality is, game after game, Fields and the team disappoint. It's not something that's isolated, it's become the expectation now. You can't blame this loss on the defense. We should never expect to win a game where we score 10 points, or a game where our first points come in the fourth quarter. We are like an XFL team trying to compete in the NFL. We are that bad.

We are going to continue to get put in the dumpster week in and week out until some team absolutely soils their drawers in front of us and we leave scratching our heads wondering how and why we won.

We are a laughingstock. Everything I have been reading has been fans of other franchises expressing sympathy for Bears fans. Literally the only thing we have to look forward to is cleaning house and starting again. And even then, how exciting is that when the McCaskeys are still in charge?

I love the Bears but honestly if you have supported a team for 20 or 30 years and they just keep failing in remarkably similar ways over and over and over again... if ownership doesn't change and you continue to fervently support the team anyways, all you are telling me is that you are a glutton for punishment.

Being a fan of this team has reached the point of becoming painful.

3 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

Here's the thing. This can be said about every bad QB in the league just about. If this or if that does nothing. What is happening is happening. What ifs do not translate into wins. Ever. We need a new coaching staff and at this point a new QB. Frankly, it isn't even debatable at this point and I have been a huge Fields supporter. It is what it is.

• Like 1