The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

9 hours ago, e16bball said:

Hell, he was getting buzz from me back in his freshman year 😂 but then he didn’t do anything worth noticing for the next 3 years, and he faded from anyone’s radar. Played with a lot of good players, and just didn’t do much. I don’t think anyone had him any higher than a Day 3 dart throw coming into this past season.

Probably worth noting that QBR and PFF hated his freshman year. I’ve never really understood that — the stats look good on the surface — but they weren’t buying. And they were hugely right, until the light finally went on sometime after FSU last year.

And then he blows up last year. Absolutely remarkable season. Honestly, I think the deal with Jayden is pretty simple: if you think he can do in the NFL even 85% of what he did last year, then he’s your guy. If he’s legitimately Burrow level passer with Fields legs, then he’s definitely a budding superstar.

If you’re not sold that he’s going to be able to do all that — because he won’t have the pristine pockets or because his receivers won’t run circles around the DBs or because he won’t have the speed to dust every LB and S on his scrambles — then you’re pretty skeptical. Because you’ve never seen him be great in anything short of the best possible scenario (the 2023 LSU offense).

I absolutely love Corley. I love the idea of getting a Deebo Samuel type player out there. I am very high on Corley doing some fun things in the NFL. 

• Like 1

I am just now catching up on this whole Top Golf thing…….and I love it.  

Agents are going to hate it and try to put a stop to it.  But…….when you are looking to draft a QB and want to see how they handle themselves in a strange situation, this is a character test plain and simple.  How do they lead, how do they react…..if their first inclination is to get stuffy and shut down, this might not be the guy.  

• Like 1

I guess I have to say, I'm sort of torn. A lot of people I respect as evaluators love Daniels. Like LOVE Daniels. Jay Gruden, Chris Cooley, Dan Orlovsky, Luis Riddick, JT O' Sullivan etc. I have a lot of respect for these guys and some of them even have him as QB1. So I feel like I'm fighting with myself at the moment. Maybe what I saw was wrong? Maybe Daniels really is this much better than Maye and I just don't want to believe it for some reason? I just hope if we draft him its a hit for the franchise and we can stop worrying about QB every year.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Maybe what I saw was wrong?

What do you see ?

I really like his release . ball goes up over his shoulder in tight to his ear and BAM ! it's gone ! We know his speed. I'm not sure he's all that elusive though .More straight line speed. His Pro Day was good, not great . Over threw a few deep balls and maybe underthrew a couple . Seemed the receiver had to slow up . I would like to have seen him throw on the run more both left and right . 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I guess I have to say, I'm sort of torn. A lot of people I respect as evaluators love Daniels. Like LOVE Daniels. Jay Gruden, Chris Cooley, Dan Orlovsky, Luis Riddick, JT O' Sullivan etc. I have a lot of respect for these guys and some of them even have him as QB1. So I feel like I'm fighting with myself at the moment. Maybe what I saw was wrong? Maybe Daniels really is this much better than Maye and I just don't want to believe it for some reason? I just hope if we draft him its a hit for the franchise and we can stop worrying about QB every year.

yes... feel the Purple Side within you... let it encompass you... devour you... embrace the Purpleness... take Daniels, your disciple....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

yes... feel the Purple Side within you... let it encompass you... devour you... embrace the Purpleness... take Daniels, your disciple....

Speaking of the Purple Side. How does Vike Nation feel about K C being gone ?

11 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Quit poking me Donatello. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’m having a lot of the same experience. 

What I’ve been trying to do to feel better about Jayden is watch 2022 games. In my head, I’ve reached this conclusion that 2023 was a mirage and a one-off. Part of a perfect storm offense, and he just rode the wave to these massive numbers. 

But that wasn’t really the case in 2022. He was new to the offense, Thomas hadn’t really “arrived,” they were dealing with Kayshon Boutte and all his BS, and the OL wasn’t as strong as it was in 2023. And you still see a lot of the flashes of what he became in 2023. It’s the best pick-me-up that I’ve had regarding this decision so far. 

At the end of the day, if you remove all of our over-thinking, it’s a guy who had a better 5th year than Joe Burrow from a purely passing standpoint. The highest passing efficiency rating in NCAA history. And then add in that he’ll be one of the 2-3 best running QBs in the league the day he arrives? At absolute minimum, there’s something for us to hope on there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

What I’ve been trying to do to feel better about Jayden is watch 2022 games. In my head, I’ve reached this conclusion that 2023 was a mirage and a one-off. Part of a perfect storm offense, and he just rode the wave to these massive numbers. 

But that wasn’t really the case in 2022. He was new to the offense, Thomas hadn’t really “arrived,” they were dealing with Kayshon Boutte and all his BS, and the OL wasn’t as strong as it was in 2023. And you still see a lot of the flashes of what he became in 2023. It’s the best pick-me-up that I’ve had regarding this decision so far. 

At the end of the day, if you remove all of our over-thinking, it’s a guy who had a better 5th year than Joe Burrow from a purely passing standpoint. The highest passing efficiency rating in NCAA history. And then add in that he’ll be one of the 2-3 best running QBs in the league the day he arrives? At absolute minimum, there’s something for us to hope on there.

We're going to talk ourselves into Daniels and then they'll end up picking McCarthy lol

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Can you provide a link for the highest passing efficiency rating in NCAA history?

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-raiders-reached-out-to-commanders-about-trading-for-no-2-overall-pick

58 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

All you’re seeing is that Washington not open for business for Pick 2. Shocker. 

Just wait till draft day. That's when you get the top dollar offers. Everyone still trying to play the game now. When it comes down to it, the offer to get us to move from 2 would absolutely have to be the highest compensation in history. I still don't think it happens though. But we'll see how much teams truly want it.