The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

17 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I don't know the statistics and honestly have not watched Daniels throw as many deep passes as Penix. At the very least I would call Penix very good in the category, if not elite, so that is some high praise for Daniels.

If you watch all his Pro day throws. Daniels wasn't that good on his deep tosses, he was both long and short . 

22 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I don't know the statistics and honestly have not watched Daniels throw as many deep passes as Penix. At the very least I would call Penix very good in the category, if not elite, so that is some high praise for Daniels.

https://miketanier.substack.com/p/ultimate-quarterback-stat-pack-jayden 

LSU’s Jaden Daniels produced the most impressive deep passing statistics of the last decade in 2023. 

Daniels completed 53-of-79 passes of 15-plus air yards for 1,783 yards, 24 touchdowns and just one interception. His completion rate of 67.1% on deep passes led the nation. Don’t let your eyes gloss over that number: a completion percentage of 67.1% would be impressive on all passes, including screens and dump-offs. For deep passes, it’s beyond exceptional. 

Daniels’ Adjusted Net Yards per Attempt (ANY/A) of 28.1 were 34.4% higher than the second-place figure (20.9) of USC’s Caleb Williams.

South Carolina’s Spencer Rattler and Florida State’s Jordan Travis will appear throughout this feature’s tables as a kind of control group to illustrate what a lower-tier prospect’s stats typically look like. Rattler and Travis are a clear notch below the others in this category. 

Daniels attempted just 327 total passes in 2023. Washington’s Michael Penix led the nation with 555 attempts. Naturally, there is a wide disparity in their raw deep-passing numbers. But Daniels threw for just 403 fewer yards in a little more than half as many attempts! And Penix was among the nation’s best-regarded deep passers.

Penix’s eight interceptions on deep passes nerf his ANY/A and should give draft analysts pause.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Do you want me to show you all of Drake Maye's bad throws? Every QB has bad throws. The biggest knock on Penix is not his ability to play QB, its his ability to stay healthy. Also, bringing up the CFP Championship, where Washington's defense allowed two 40+ yard TD runs on back to back drives to start the game is not the best example. Sure he didn't play great, but he was playing from a deficit against the best team in the nation from start to finish. Sometimes that's how the cookie crumbles.

I will say this, Penix is the best deep ball thrower in the draft and its not close. I have watched him A LOT. His footwork, release and accuracy on his deep throws is elite. He throws with good rhythm and has really good pocket awareness too. Also, I don't care how close they are drafted together, Nix is not on the same level as Penix. If not for Penix's injury history, he would be more highly sought out, IMO.

Drake Maye wasn't in the same freshman class with Sam Howell and didn't have 4 major injuries. 

10 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

There are a lot of knocks on Jayden Daniels, but saying someone else in this class is a better deep ball thrower than him just isn't accurate. 

I didn't knock Daniels...

I stated something that I believe, Penix throws the best deep ball of any prospect this year and I don't believe it is close.

You can disagree. You have statistics to back you up. No issues there.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

It's going to be pretty boring if no trades happen in the top 5. 

Jordan Schultz@Schultz_Report

NFL Draft notes I’ve gathered after speaking with multiple team sources:

• #AZCardinals are driving a hard bargain to move back and are “more than happy” to take Marvin Harrison Jr. at 4
• #Chargers have explored moving down from 5, but are content staying put — likely to take an OT
• #Bears aren’t married to WR at 9 — OT and EDGE are also options, while trading down remains a possibility as well
• #Raiders are a candidate to move up for QB, but it’s going to be tough to get past 9
• #Vikings more likely to keep 11+23 at this point, though they continue to explore all options

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Drake Maye wasn't in the same freshman class with Sam Howell and didn't have 4 major injuries. 

I get it bro, you really like Drake Maye.

I live in Washington State, Michael Penix is a good QB. I wouldn't draft him over Daniels/Maye, but I also don't think he should be discredited as a QB. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Jordan Schultz@Schultz_Report

NFL Draft notes I’ve gathered after speaking with multiple team sources:

• #AZCardinals are driving a hard bargain to move back and are “more than happy” to take Marvin Harrison Jr. at 4
• #Chargers have explored moving down from 5, but are content staying put — likely to take an OT
• #Bears aren’t married to WR at 9 — OT and EDGE are also options, while trading down remains a possibility as well
• #Raiders are a candidate to move up for QB, but it’s going to be tough to get past 9
• #Vikings more likely to keep 11+23 at this point, though they continue to explore all options

Didn't the Vikes specifically trade for #23 in order to trade up. ?? Looks bad if they don't hey ?

19 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

#Vikings more likely to keep 11+23 at this point, though they continue to explore all options

This doesn't make sense to me. They wouldn't trade for 23 pre-draft and then not make another move. 

10 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Didn't the Vikes specifically trade for #23 in order to trade up. ?? Looks bad if they don't hey ?

who knows what the truth is that any team is saying right now...?

Vikes have said from the beginning that having 11/23 gives them "flexibility" in making decisions. so who knows. all the GM's are just posturing right now...

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

This doesn't make sense to me. They wouldn't trade for 23 pre-draft and then not make another move. 

We posted this thought almost simultaneously ! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

we'll know in 30 hours or so, eh?

Vikes have all sort of options and moves they can make. could draft someone at 11 and then move up (or down) from 23. who knows?

personally, i'd like to see them get the QB4 of the draft by trading with LAC at 5, so to box out the Giants at 6. but if the NYG's are bluffing at wanting a QB, then the Vikes could also maybe make their move at 8 with Atlanta.

but the Bears have 9, and would easily trade it with a QB-hungry AFC West team, so if we ant one of the top 4 QB's, our move has to happen before then.

Just now, Troublez said:

Vegas changed odds of Chargers drafting McCarthy from 100/1 (@ Market Open) to 15/1 (Yesterday), to 6/1 (Today).

Good god.... Is Harbaugh putting Herbert on the Market?

That has to be for JJ to go #5 overall but not specifically to the Chargers right? 

• Like 1