The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

I cannot express the utter heartbreak I'd feel if this team picked McCarthy at 2. It would be no different than reaching for Davis, Dotson and Forbes. He threw for 140 yards, no TD and completed 50% of his passes and his team won by 3 scores in the National Championship game. The idea that he can "do it all" while having almost no evidence of this smacks of teams outthinking themselves. No I don't think he sucks or he's awful but I see him as an Andy Dalton/Derek Carr-type. A productive but never elite talent you get in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I cannot express the utter heartbreak I'd feel if this team picked McCarthy at 2. It would be no different than reaching for Davis, Dotson and Forbes. He threw for 140 yards, no TD and completed 50% of his passes and his team won by 3 scores in the National Championship game. The idea that he can "do it all" while having almost no evidence of this smacks of teams outthinking themselves. No I don't think he sucks or he's awful but I see him as an Andy Dalton/Derek Carr-type. A productive but never elite talent you get in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

Hang in there man. 

We'll know for sure in about 75 hours. 

Edited by Slappy Mc
  • Like 3

All I know is there are too many JJ and Daniels reports and nobody even mentions Maye. I keep saying he’s their pick. Watching our staff at his pro day and the amount of time Kingsberry spent with Longo I keep saying they have diverted this perfectly to the reports. Could be wrong and won’t be shocked unless it’s nix and in that surprise I’ll probably croak💯💯💯

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

#FireDanQuinn

• Like 3

Anyone getting serious deja vu like I am?

Washington has the second overall pick in a draft where the presumed number one is a generational talent by scouts and media, and Washington likely could take the reigning Heisman winner known for his electric play style.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TOUCAN said:

Anyone getting serious deja vu like I am?

Washington has the second overall pick in a draft where the presumed number one is a generational talent by scouts and media, and Washington likely could take the reigning Heisman winner known for his electric play style.

Yes. I have been thinking about that a lot. Just have to figure out who our Kirk Cousins will be lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I heard Drake Maye is good golfer, just one of those natural athlete types that is good at every sport.

This is why I think Daniel’s didn’t like the visit. If the report was true. Apparently Maye and JJ were pretty good at golf and Daniel’s being a competitor must have felt “shown up” he couldn’t compete. Almost as if he felt embarrassed or given a reality check that he finally wasn’t “the guy” at something 

• Like 1

Interesting to see WR Malachi Corley above Roman Wilson and Ricky Pearsall in betting odds to go in the first round. I love the potential of Malachi Corley. He's got the size and the moves but can he run routes? He seems to me like a Steelers WR that they'll pick up and turn into a Pro-Bowler. 

7 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Because in 5 seasons in college he only threw for over 3k yards once?

This in the one for me. 5 seasons in college, and the last one is the only one that really appears consistent with a high-end QB prospect.

Traditional stats kinda like the true freshman year (for a true freshman), but QBR and advanced metrics hated it. QBR likes the COVID year a lot and kinda likes the first LSU year — but they’re both extremely ho-hum from the standpoint of traditional stats. 

I just don’t see anyone with that particular college track record among the top NFL QBs: played 4-5 seasons, never meaningfully on the radar until the last year. Maybe Russell Wilson or Jalen Hurts? But they were both good prior to the last season, and it was a last-season transfer that opened up the door for them. If Jayden had dominated both years at LSU, that might have been one thing…but he wasn’t this sort of dominant force for even half of his LSU games (let alone half his college career).

It just feels a whole lot like buying someone at the absolute apex of their value. Maybe this is just who he’s become and will be moving forward. I guess that’s the hope.

13 minutes ago, e16bball said:

This in the one for me. 5 seasons in college, and the last one is the only one that really appears consistent with a high-end QB prospect.

Traditional stats kinda like the true freshman year (for a true freshman), but QBR and advanced metrics hated it. QBR likes the COVID year a lot and kinda likes the first LSU year — but they’re both extremely ho-hum from the standpoint of traditional stats. 

I just don’t see anyone with that particular college track record among the top NFL QBs: played 4-5 seasons, never meaningfully on the radar until the last year. Maybe Russell Wilson or Jalen Hurts? But they were both good prior to the last season, and it was a last-season transfer that opened up the door for them. If Jayden had dominated both years at LSU, that might have been one thing…but he wasn’t this sort of dominant force for even half of his LSU games (let alone half his college career).

It just feels a whole lot like buying someone at the absolute apex of their value. Maybe this is just who he’s become and will be moving forward. I guess that’s the hope.

Mknight just posted that Jayden's been a 2nd round pro prospect since out of high school? I've read that he was getting first round buzz his freshman year at ASU. I'm not sure where this narrative that he was a nobody has come from, besides looking at the stats. 

Edited by taylor made

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I cannot express the utter heartbreak I'd feel if this team picked McCarthy at 2. 

i agree. what i think would be wonderful is the Vikings getting him at 8. or heck, getting him at 11!

and now we know he has a better golf swing than Maye.