The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

It’s Daniels, according to every living, breathing soul who just reports news and other things connected people tell them.

The only ones that are holding out for Drake, for the most part, are folks who do their own evals and think he should be the pick. 

That’s disheartening, but the one hope I do still have is that at his core, Peters is a scout. Projecting guys based on tools and ceilings is his life. Maybe he sees it that way. But my fear is that getting burned by Lance, a huge projection, is going to make him go a little “safer” with his first ever pick as a GM — someone who is, in theory, closer to a finished product.

This is me based on everything I've seen in the offseason leads me to think it Daniels

Quinn and Kingsbury either one can afford a Project that fails as it ends both their head coaching dreams.

Don't think you get Vets like Wagner Eckler and Ertz for a project year.

No moves have made me think Maye, in fact Trading Sam who has good history with Maye make me think it less likely then anything.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lavar703 said:

As the draft gets closer and the realization that we're taking Daniels becomes more and more clear I think I'm falling in the camp of just trading the pick away. I know it seems drastic but I can't shake the 43 starts of mediocre football or Nussmeir playing in the bowl game and throwing for 400 yards and 3 TD. Sorry @MikeT14 lol. You're just going to have to scold me here dude. And trust me, I hope I'm incredibly wrong about this and Daniels becomes a star and everyone can laugh at my expense. 

Just glad you’re finally accepting what I already knew 😂

also I still think it’s Maye

• Like 5

9 hours ago, e16bball said:

It’s Daniels, according to every living, breathing soul who just reports news and other things connected people tell them.

The only ones that are holding out for Drake, for the most part, are folks who do their own evals and think he should be the pick. 

That’s disheartening, but the one hope I do still have is that at his core, Peters is a scout. Projecting guys based on tools and ceilings is his life. Maybe he sees it that way. But my fear is that getting burned by Lance, a huge projection, is going to make him go a little “safer” with his first ever pick as a GM — someone who is, in theory, closer to a finished product.

It was Mac Jones also at this point at 3. Schefter’s hilarious backtracking and fumbling tells me he messed up or actually got some better sources who “not so fast my friend”ed his butt. 

I don’t think the Lance projections vs Maye projections are apples to apples either. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I love JJ. 

me too, very much so.

about 2/3 of our Viking forum fans want JJ, a few think he'll never amount to anything, the rest want Penix without a trade up loss of our assets.

i think the Viking execs favor Maye over all others, and if WASH takes him at 2 then we go for McCarthy. if WASH goes Daniels at 2, then we're probably trying to get Maye at 3 from the Pats. if the Pats take Maye, then it's all in for McC at 4 or 5.

it's going to cost for us to deal at that high part of the draft, but so be it.

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

me too, very much so.

about 2/3 of our Viking forum fans want JJ, a few think he'll never amount to anything, the rest want Penix without a trade up loss of our assets.

i think the Viking execs favor Maye over all others, and if WASH takes him at 2 then we go for McCarthy. if WASH goes Daniels at 2, then we're probably trying to get Maye at 3 from the Pats. if the Pats take Maye, then it's all in for McC at 4 or 5.

it's going to cost for us to deal at that high part of the draft, but so be it.

I think the interesting tidbit left is if the Broncos really go mortgage any future to go get a guy. 

11 hours ago, lavar703 said:

And I'll throw this out there as well. If we're dropping to 13 with the Raiders, I want Crosby involved. I would simply tell them that. It starts at two firsts and Crosby and we'll go from there otherwise I'm just taking the QB I want. And if you're the Raiders you'd be nuts to do it. 

And the Raiders would promptly hang up the phone without even responding.  I mean, I get it.  You want to get a fortune for a pick that is probably one of the more valuable "available" picks in a while, but you're not going to get the farm AND a premier prospect.  It's one or the other.  You'll get a strong package, but you're not going to get 2 future FRPs, a mid-SRP AND one of the best pass rushers in the NFL.

14 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I think the interesting tidbit left is if the Broncos really go mortgage any future to go get a guy. 

i'm more concerned about the Giants messing things up for the Vikings than the Broncos. NYG could go from 6 to 4 or 3 pretty easily, Denver not so much.

but then, we have those two 2024 1st's to tempt someone with....

38 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And the Raiders would promptly hang up the phone without even responding.  I mean, I get it.  You want to get a fortune for a pick that is probably one of the more valuable "available" picks in a while, but you're not going to get the farm AND a premier prospect.  It's one or the other.  You'll get a strong package, but you're not going to get 2 future FRPs, a mid-SRP AND one of the best pass rushers in the NFL.

I know dude. That’s why I added the part “the raiders would be nuts to do it”. But that’s what I would want to move off the pick. So it wouldn’t happen and I’d be totally fine with it. 

• Like 1

Just now, lavar703 said:

I know dude. That’s why I added the part “the raiders would be nuts to do it”. But that’s what I would want to move off the pick. So it wouldn’t happen and I’d be totally fine with it. 

I wasn't trying to single you out.  Just the whole conversation in general.  The 2 future FRPs plus a SRP this year is about as good as it's gonna get for #2.  You do miss out one of the elite prospects unless you're willing to move back up the board, but teams aren't going to pay another Herchel Walker-like trade.

39 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i'm more concerned about the Giants messing things up for the Vikings than the Broncos. NYG could go from 6 to 4 or 3 pretty easily, Denver not so much.

but then, we have those two 2024 1st's to tempt someone with....

It'd be interesting to see what happens in that 11-13 range IF the Giants were the team that moved up to 4 to get a QB...

If the pick is McCarthy I'd probably just turn my tv off and go to bed. I probably wouldn't even watch the rest of our picks in the draft. Sorry @ripsean21. I know he's your boy but the absolute heartbreak I would feel walking away from this all important off-season with Dan Quinn and JJ McCarthy after thoughts of Ben Johnson and Drake Maye would just be crushing. Maybe it will work out but I'd just start to think "here we go again". 

• Like 1