The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

That’s one hell of a drop for so little in return. Essentially two firsts and a second to drop to 13 and miss out on almost all of the elite talent in this draft. That’s just an insanely bad value deal for us. 

This is correct. That’s the deal if it had been Atlanta at 8. Or if NYG wanted our pick moving up from 6. 

You want us, in desperate need of a QB, to move off our choice at the position — AND to move out of range for the top 4 QBs plus the top 3 WRs plus probably the top DE plus probably at least the top 2 OTs? 

Then it really needs to be the biggest trade package in draft history. Sorry, but that’s what you have to do to get that pick and move us down that far.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

This is correct. That’s the deal if it had been Atlanta at 8. Or if NYG wanted our pick moving up from 6. 

You want us, in desperate need of a QB, to move off our choice at the position — AND to move out of range for the top 4 QBs plus the top 3 WRs plus probably the top DE plus probably at least the top 2 OTs? 

Then it really needs to be the biggest trade package in draft history. Sorry, but that’s what you have to do to get that pick and move us down that far.

And I'll throw this out there as well. If we're dropping to 13 with the Raiders, I want Crosby involved. I would simply tell them that. It starts at two firsts and Crosby and we'll go from there otherwise I'm just taking the QB I want. And if you're the Raiders you'd be nuts to do it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4209 said:

There you go @lavar703 and alll you Drake maye lovers. I wonder if that is Viking scout.

As the draft gets closer and the realization that we're taking Daniels becomes more and more clear I think I'm falling in the camp of just trading the pick away. I know it seems drastic but I can't shake the 43 starts of mediocre football or Nussmeir playing in the bowl game and throwing for 400 yards and 3 TD. Sorry @MikeT14 lol. You're just going to have to scold me here dude. And trust me, I hope I'm incredibly wrong about this and Daniels becomes a star and everyone can laugh at my expense. 

I think Drakes been the guy all along. I remember seeing video at his Pro day when Quinn got close to him and he lit up like a kid on Christmas with a huge smile. Wish I had the link.

• Like 1

It’s Daniels, according to every living, breathing soul who just reports news and other things connected people tell them.

The only ones that are holding out for Drake, for the most part, are folks who do their own evals and think he should be the pick. 

That’s disheartening, but the one hope I do still have is that at his core, Peters is a scout. Projecting guys based on tools and ceilings is his life. Maybe he sees it that way. But my fear is that getting burned by Lance, a huge projection, is going to make him go a little “safer” with his first ever pick as a GM — someone who is, in theory, closer to a finished product.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It’s Daniels, according to every living, breathing soul who just reports news and other things connected people tell them.

The only ones that are holding out for Drake, for the most part, are folks who do their own evals and think he should be the pick. 

That’s disheartening, but the one hope I do still have is that at his core, Peters is a scout. Projecting guys based on tools and ceilings is his life. Maybe he sees it that way. But my fear is that getting burned by Lance, a huge projection, is going to make him go a little “safer” with his first ever pick as a GM — someone who is, in theory, closer to a finished product.

It's Daniels. We all know its Daniels. Keim has not wavered at all. He does his "nobody is saying anything" deal and then just goes back to Daniels every single time. He can pretend nobody is talking to keep intrigue but Daniels is going to be the pick. I also wonder now if Schefter is walking it back because he was told to because they didn't want him spoiling the pick?

I just keep hearing how he can read defenses, he processes so well, he's not just a runner but he's an amazing passer as well, he's Lamar but better and yet for 4 years nobody knew. And my favorite thing is "oh his historically bad P2S...yeah, don't worry about that" lol. 

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Viking fans want WASH to stay at 2 and draft Daniels.

thank you, there will be cookies later.

Just throwing this out there, the Pats are going to pick Maye. I have absolutely no idea why anyone thinks they're going to trade that pick? The moment we stupidly pick Daniels over him the Pats are going to turn that card in so fast. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Just throwing this out there, the Pats are going to pick Maye. I have absolutely no idea why anyone thinks they're going to trade that pick? The moment we stupidly pick Daniels over him the Pats are going to turn that card in so fast. 

i know this is WASH's forum, but it's fine by me if we are able to get McCarthy.

think we can do it at 5, or do we have to go to 4?

i saw an interesting mock yesterday where the QB's go 1, 2, 3, 4, and then Chicago trades up to 5 and drafts MHJr.

Caleb Williams AND Harrison...? zowie.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Just my opinion, I think both have their pros and cons. I am not particularly swayed one way or another.

I think Maye has great arm strength and pretty good accuracy. I think his footwork and decision making isn't great. I think he has good speed and is able to escape the pocket. I am really bothered by how long he sticks to his first read. I think when pressured Maye should ONLY take off and run, I do not like his footwork and decision making when scrambling. I think Maye throws a great ball to the hashes and can throw it 60 yards on a rope. I know that people don't like the comparison, but I think he is a lot like Sam Howell, where he plays hero ball too much. I think he tends to be a gunslinger like Brett Favre was and I don't think he is accurate enough to get away with it at the next level. I think he took below average talent around him and did pretty well considering. At 21 years old, he probably needs a full season to watch and develop, IMO.

I think Daniels is a terrific scrambling QB. I think he is a more accurate, less arm strength, slightly less athletic, SKINNY Lamar Jackson. I think Daniels footwork is really good. He does a good job of keeping his body square when he throws the ball and he can be trusted to use proper footwork while scrambling and while in the pocket. He does not have a rocket for an arm. He can make all throws, but his deep balls have a tendency to float rather than be on a rope. He is almost Russell Wilson bad at scrambling out of a clean pocket, but he does a good deal of damage when on the move. He has the capability to take the ball to the house on any scramble. At the same time, his frame makes it so that one good hit, and he is prone to not taking care of his body, and he may be out for a while/the season. He looked pedestrian with very poor talent around him before getting to LSU where he looked very good. At 23 years old, he seems to process defenses well enough to start relatively quickly, if not right away, IMO.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i know this is WASH's forum, but it's fine by me if we are able to get McCarthy.

think we can do it at 5, or do we have to go to 4?

i saw an interesting mock yesterday where the QB's go 1, 2, 3, 4, and then Chicago trades up to 5 and drafts MHJr.

Caleb Williams AND Harrison...? zowie.

I think it’s 5 for yall because I think AZ is going to stick and pick Harrison honestly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Personally buddy I just hope they make you happy. Because we know how I feel about JJ but I just don’t know if they turn that card in and I think Maye gives you the closet thing to JJ in this class outside on Penix and I just don’t believe he’s going to be our pick. I think of the top 3 guys on the consensus id take Maye. And while part of my Jayden knocks are film and part of the things going on through this process who knows what’s truth with the process. But we shall see. Just a few more days. I do personally believe Peter’s isn’t the one sold on Daniel’s but I do believe his coaching staff is. We will see what happens come 815-830ish Thursday and no matter the name on the card I’ll just be happy we can finally get to new discussion for the next moves. I know there will still be a 60 page thread on whoever we chose to be the face but atleast there will be other moves to predict and discuss

• Like 1