The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

8 hours ago, offbyone said:

Is this real or are you just posting like fake twitter stuff?  This can't be real right? 

If so I don't want anything to do with him.

It’s not my intention to post as you call it ‘fake stuff’. My posts consist of information that I trust is factual and some is opinion based. My posts are usually from known and verified accounts but I can’t verify any information with a 100% certainty. 

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

I will say, I think Fashanu is a guy who is sort of getting the same shaft that Maye is. 

He was really good last year, expectations got very high, and he didn’t expand on his already really good play. People were thinking he was going to be on the level of Sewell or Trent or someone like that. And he isn’t, at this point. So now he’s seen as a disappointment and even a regression.

The dude is still a really good OT prospect. I still think he’s the best pass protector in this bunch, to include Alt. Elite core strength, he takes what guys give him and just snaps back into place. Good feet, good recovery. He’s a long-term LT for me, all the way.

I was as hard on his run blocking as anybody when people were still talking top 5 — and it still needs work, but I think people are a little over the top with that criticism too. He’s not bad…he’s just not blowing people up like Fuaga or Latham do at times.

I'm not sure he is a better pass blocker than Alt, but I agree with most of the other stuff. I think Olu is easily the 2nd best LT prospect. 

This tackle draft class is very special. I think we see the most OTs drafted in the first round in the history of the draft. Depending on where a lot of them go, I could see them being successfully really early on in their careers too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

There were a couple things from the presser that stood out to me.

1. Adam Peters is detail oriented. If it wasn't clear from how highly he is regarded, we made the right choice at GM. 

2. The owners are committed to improving the team on and off the field. Adam Peters made a point to say "no more D+." The survey at the end of the year clearly didn't sit well with management. 

3. There is a strong possibility that unless the F.O. and staff feel a drafted player is ready, we will go with what is currently on the roster (and any additions in the post-draft FA). 

4. The teams draft philosophy will try to blend need and value as much as possible. They made it clear that they believe that their work in FA opens them up to not have to draft for need at every pick. Getting the best players that can help the team is paramount. 

5. Adam Peters and his assistant GM don't just sound like they have pick #2 figured out, they seem to have a plan for every situation and know exactly where they want to go with all six of the top 100 picks. 

6. Lastly, this team could very well suck next year, but I seriously doubt we suck the year after. This management team is starting at the base level and trying to turn this team into a winner. Exciting times to be a fan of this team. 

As an aside, has anyone notice how no one really wants to call them the Commanders in press conferences or any media comments? I really don't think the name is going to last very long. 

One of the local beat guys noticed that Harris has never said or wore anything with Commanders on it. That name is a goner. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If you can get Fashanu with those two second round picks then you do it. 

I would prefer not to trade up. Adding 6 top 100 players could do wonders for this roster. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I would prefer not to trade up. Adding 6 top 100 players could do wonders for this roster. 

I see both sides. Sacrificing one to potentially get a stalwart at LT for a decade is always nice. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Man I struggle with giving up two premium picks, but I tend to agree. 

I think a lot of talent can be had in the 2nd, but Olu is a premium talent. 

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I am of this mindset also. If he's falling to a point where you can jump up and get him, you go do it.

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm better off adding 5 if I think one of those five can be elite, and I think Fashanu can be elite.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I see both sides. Sacrificing one to potentially get a stalwart at LT for a decade is always nice. 

We should be trading down not up. They littered the roster with serviceable players in FA. We shouldn't be forcing need picks in this draft. If we miss out on a LT this year we can just draft one next year. 

11 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We should be trading down not up. They littered the roster with serviceable players in FA. We shouldn't be forcing need picks in this draft. If we miss out on a LT this year we can just draft one next year. 

IMO With a Rookie QB, LT is even a more important position. Don’t know if you can just punt that away to the following year. 

1 minute ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

IMO With a Rookie QB, LT is even a more important position. Don’t know if you can just punt that away to the following year. 

I don't know that Year 1 of a rookie's play is going to be that different from veteran Cornelius Lucas. 

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't know that Year 1 of a rookie's play is going to be that different from veteran Cornelius Lucas. 

I like C. Lucas but I think it would depend on which prospect we’re talking about. 

19 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Getting a potential all-pro LT for your QB now has its pluses. We might be in position to get one next year or we might not. I don't think going to go get a LT is forcing a need pick if they're as talented as we hope. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Trust me, I get it. I'm usually right there with ya but you'd be essentially giving up one player extra player for what many believed to be the best LT in this draft for most of the year. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I think Fashanu is substantially better, even as a rookie, than Lucas. 

I want the best protection we can get for our rookie QB. If that means we trade up to secure that, I'm ok with it.

I don't think trading down in round 2 has any benefit to us unless we somehow come away with 2 2nds for 1 of our 2nds. We have two of the top 8 picks in the round. With 36, we will most likely be in position to get someone who surprisingly fell out of round 1. 

If I am being honest I agree with @e16bball, it would suck to burn both 2nds. If we could find a way to do one of our 2nds and a 3rd (maybe when add a 2025 3rd day pick), I would feel better, but I firmly believe Olu is a starting LT immediately and improves not only our o-line play, but the offense as a whole. 

• Like 1