The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If the pick is McCarthy I'd probably just turn my tv off and go to bed. I probably wouldn't even watch the rest of our picks in the draft. Sorry @ripsean21. I know he's your boy but the absolute heartbreak I would feel walking away from this all important off-season with Dan Quinn and JJ McCarthy after thoughts of Ben Johnson and Drake Maye would just be crushing. Maybe it will work out but I'd just start to think "here we go again". 

How many times have we won the offseason just to continue losing? I get that it might not be what was wanted but that doesn’t mean it won’t be right. And especially after this offseason I don’t think anyone should hate whoever we pick because I think this staff has atleast shown competence since being hired. I’d love the pick. But I’d love Maye as well. Daniels I’d be slightly worried! But I’m going to believe in the process because so far every addition outside of Mariota has made calculated sense for what these coaches have shown on tape before

49 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

How many times have we won the offseason just to continue losing? I get that it might not be what was wanted but that doesn’t mean it won’t be right. And especially after this offseason I don’t think anyone should hate whoever we pick because I think this staff has atleast shown competence since being hired. I’d love the pick. But I’d love Maye as well. Daniels I’d be slightly worried! But I’m going to believe in the process because so far every addition outside of Mariota has made calculated sense for what these coaches have shown on tape before

My concern about JJ is that he's never shown he can put a team on his shoulders and lead them to wins off his play alone through out a season. I've said for months, for that reason alone I wouldn't take him in the top 10. I think he has the skills to develop & leadership qualities to eventually become a Purdy type QB but, at #2 I want better than Purdy. 

Purdy is a good QB but he's aided by an elite team around him with elite playmakers, a great OL & an elite D. He makes some great passes, but he also makes a lot of easy passes & then his playmakers do all the work. I think I saw a stat where his playmakers have the most yac of any playmakers in the league. 

I think that's what McCarthy will be.

I think Daniels, Maye & especially Penix have shown they can carry teams & they will be carrying their teams more than McCarthy will be off their play alone in the NFL.

Edited by turtle28

53 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If the pick is McCarthy I'd probably just turn my tv off and go to bed. I probably wouldn't even watch the rest of our picks in the draft. Sorry @ripsean21. I know he's your boy but the absolute heartbreak I would feel walking away from this all important off-season with Dan Quinn and JJ McCarthy after thoughts of Ben Johnson and Drake Maye would just be crushing. Maybe it will work out but I'd just start to think "here we go again". 

If it's McCarthy, I'm just going to hope I'm wrong about him and he shocks me while developing into a top 5 QB. I don't see it in him, or in his ability at all but again, If he's the pick I hope I'm wrong.

47 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

We haven’t won the off-season since Cerrato has been gone. Picking McCarthy would be a pick that Rivera would make. Obvious better talent on the board and we reach for someone who has no business going at that point.

Honestly, there has been nothing that has happened outside of the Peters hire that has me excited about the offseason so far. The free agent signings have been uninspiring. The coach hiring was a total letdown and if we ultimately take McCarthy at 2 I’ll be extremely worried about the direction this team is headed. 

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

We haven’t won the off-season since Cerrato has been gone. Picking McCarthy would be a pick that Rivera would make. Obvious better talent on the board and we reach for someone who has no business going at that point.

Honestly, there has been nothing that has happened outside of the Peters hire that has me excited about the offseason so far. The free agent signings have been uninspiring. The coach hiring was a total letdown and if we ultimately take McCarthy at 2 I’ll be extremely worried about the direction this team is headed. 

Really? I've liked most of the free-agent signings. I like the approach of not overspending on guys with long-term deals before you have your young core established and have a QB and know what you are going to be long term. I like how many of the signings will help us develop a culture of how Quinn does things and how he develops a winning culture. We certainly got a hell of a lot better at LB which is a relief & the interior OL.

I agree with your points about McCarthy though. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

If we draft McCarthy without a trade back, I would probably vomit. He is the 4th best QB in the draft. Drafting him at #2 would not make me happy.

I know... I know... #TrustTheProcess #InPetersWeTrust... but I just feel that is a tremendous waste of a very valuable asset. Again, if you don't see any difference between Maye, Daniels and McCarthy, just trade back a few spots, even if you only net an additional 2 this year, it would be worth it IMO.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I thought he was impressive at the Senior Bowl 1 on 1’s

I think his tape is very solid. I think it’s just easy to get lost in this class!!! I’d be very pleased adding him. They ran the ball very very well to his side

• Like 2

Final Mock Draft

Washington trades #2 to New England for pick #3, 2nd round #34 and 4th round # 104

1.3 Drake Maye QB UNC

Washington trades up with Arizona 7 spots for pick 27 sending #34 #104 and their own 7th #227

1.27 Tyler Guyton OT OU

2.36 Nate Wiggins CB Clemson 

2.40 Xavier Leggette WR South Carolina

3.67 Patrick Paul OT Houston

3.78 Bralen Trice Edge Washington

3.100 Zak Zinter OG Michigan

5.139 Tommy Eichenburg LB Ohio St.

5.152 Eric All TE Iowa

I think Maye has been the target all along. I believe New England wants Daniel’s as well so while this is a simple trade with not as big a return it works for both teams

i know a lot of you think Wiggins goes earlier but I could see a slide with both Bama guys, Mitchell, and Dejean potentially going before him.

Edited by LoganF89
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Really? I've liked most of the free-agent signings. I like the approach of not overspending on guys with long-term deals before you have your young core established and have a QB and know what you are going to be long term. I like how many of the signings will help us develop a culture of how Quinn does things and how he develops a winning culture. We certainly got a hell of a lot better at LB which is a relief & the interior OL.

I agree with your points about McCarthy though. 

Other than LB, the free agent signings have been the equivalent of shuffling deck chairs. We cut our LT and don’t have one. We signed an old, often injured TE. Hopefully Dotson develops but if he doesn’t we have nothing outside of Terry as far as pass catchers go. I know we still have time left and there’s the draft coming but this team looks like it’s going to be terrible next season. 

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

If we draft McCarthy without a trade back, I would probably vomit. He is the 4th best QB in the draft. Drafting him at #2 would not make me happy.

I know... I know... #TrustTheProcess #InPetersWeTrust... but I just feel that is a tremendous waste of a very valuable asset. Again, if you don't see any difference between Maye, Daniels and McCarthy, just trade back a few spots, even if you only net an additional 2 this year, it would be worth it IMO.

If you don’t see any difference between Maye/Daniels or McCarthy then just don’t pick a QB. I just don’t think highly of McCarthy at this stage. I really think he should’ve stayed another year. 

44 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If you don’t see any difference between Maye/Daniels or McCarthy then just don’t pick a QB. I just don’t think highly of McCarthy at this stage. I really think he should’ve stayed another year. 

No one would be happy with this result.

1 hour ago, LoganF89 said:

Final Mock Draft

Washington trades #2 to New England for pick #3, 2nd round #34 and 4th round # 104

1.3 Drake Maye QB UNC

Washington trades up with Arizona 7 spots for pick 27 sending #34 #104 and their own 7th #227

1.27 Tyler Guyton OT OU

2.36 Nate Wiggins CB Clemson 

2.40 Xavier Leggette WR South Carolina

3.67 Patrick Paul OT Houston

3.78 Bralen Trice Edge Washington

3.100 Zak Zinter OG Michigan

5.139 Tommy Eichenburg LB Ohio St.

5.152 Eric All TE Iowa

I think Maye has been the target all along. I believe New England wants Daniel’s as well so while this is a simple trade with not as big a return it works for both teams

i know a lot of you think Wiggins goes earlier but I could see a slide with both Bama guys, Mitchell, and Dejean potentially going before him.

I hope they stay away from Wiggins. He isn’t the type of DB Quinn deploys. He’s very grabby and he isn’t the best tackler. He might have good hips and speed but his feet actually are bad for as good as his hips are and he is about as handsy as kool aid

otherwise I love the draft I’d love Guyton or Mims I prefer mims but like both!! Great mock

Edited by ripsean21

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

But how does staying another year in a system we’re crucifying him for playing in help him elevate his stock? No he didn’t carry his team but this years team is very very talented too. So it’s the same evaluation or worse if they don’t repeat. He progressed and went further each year starting. He def made the throws he needed to against Bama. He made the throws he needed to against Washington after the first two drives while he shook the nerves off. I just don’t see what another year does for him throwing for a similar stat like while your gonna have Primes son with over 4,000 and however many TD’s and Ewers with another loaded Texas team I just don’t see the benefit for him.

I know your feelings so I’m not trying to change them I’m just presenting what another year can do for him when he’s going to again be hit with all the same questions. When this year he could realistically go to Minnesota and be throwing to JJ and Addison and their TE and I believe he will show everyone just what he was already doing just on a smaller scale. Or second best case for him he could come here and throw to Terry and Jahan and honestly progress with this roster while it gels. Because the reason I want him is for what I know the kid has off the field and that’s focus and work ethic to improve upon what the team needs from him to get better

15 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

But how does staying another year in a system we’re crucifying him for playing in help him elevate his stock? No he didn’t carry his team but this years team is very very talented too. So it’s the same evaluation or worse if they don’t repeat. He progressed and went further each year starting. He def made the throws he needed to against Bama. He made the throws he needed to against Washington after the first two drives while he shook the nerves off. I just don’t see what another year does for him throwing for a similar stat like while your gonna have Primes son with over 4,000 and however many TD’s and Ewers with another loaded Texas team I just don’t see the benefit for him.

I know your feelings so I’m not trying to change them I’m just presenting what another year can do for him when he’s going to again be hit with all the same questions. When this year he could realistically go to Minnesota and be throwing to JJ and Addison and their TE and I believe he will show everyone just what he was already doing just on a smaller scale. Or second best case for him he could come here and throw to Terry and Jahan and honestly progress with this roster while it gels. Because the reason I want him is for what I know the kid has off the field and that’s focus and work ethic to improve upon what the team needs from him to get better

He completed 55% of his passes for 140 yards against Washington. Didn’t throw a TD pass. They still won 34-13. He had 8 games where he threw one or no TD passes. His only 300 yard game was against an awful Purdue team that had the 67th ranked defense in college football. The idea this guy is a top 5 pick is just ridiculous. 

• Like 2