The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

10 hours ago, lavar703 said:

No probably not. At that point I’d look to sell off the pick to the highest bidder. I don’t think they’ll sign Higgins though. My guess is they approach free agency the same way Rivera did in year one. 

If I’m not taking MHJ, I’m taking Fashanu or available or Bowers with our top 5 pick. We badly need a top talent whether that’s on the OL or one of our playmakers.

• Like 1

Ugh. Not sure I'm happy about this. I was just messing around with the mock draft simulator on Profootballnetwork and did a draft. I'm not too happy because I traded back from 5th to 10th and missed out on Bowers, MHJ, and Alt (wasn't paying attention to who was still available).

But despite my brain fart I still managed to recover from that mistake and do this (I also traded back another time too - each time I traded back I picked up a pick in 2025 draft):

#10 - JC Latham, Alabama OT

#36 - Cooper Beebe, Kansas State - OG

#38 - JT. Tuimalauo - Ohio State - EDGE

#41 - Donovan Jackson - Ohio State - OG

#73 - Tommy Eichenberg - Ohio State - LB

#96 - Ruke Orhorhoro - Clemson - DT

#104 - Blake Corum - Michigan - RB

#132 - Antwane Wells Jr - S. Carolina - WR

#166 - Jason Marshall - Florida - CB

#170 - Jake Briningstool - Clemson - TE

2025 TEN 2nd rounder

2025 TB 4th rounder

So again, don't kill me too much. I really haven't paid too much attention to some of the teams and haven't really delved into a lot of these players. And I tried with the DT to take a guy who could play in a 3-4 (h/t to @e16bball)

One other note - I traded back 3 spots to #104 and was gonna take the QB Daniels from LSU (yes @taylor made) but the Giants took him at #102.

This draft was assuming we didn't address anything in FA along the OL. I'll try another one with the assumption that we signed a good OT and OG in FA so it frees us up for BPA at any position.

Oh and BTW - if anyone can tell me how I can post the graphic without having to type the danged pics out I'd appreciate it. My brain is not doing the brain things today.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

If I’m not taking MHJ, I’m taking Fashanu or available or Bowers with our top 5 pick. We badly need a top talent whether that’s on the OL or one of our playmakers.

Okay don't look at my mock draft (even though I did take 3 OSU players in a row)

In regards to Bowers...TE weird in draft.  When was the last top 10 tight end picked who was worth it?  What about even first round?

Think about it Kelce 3rd, Kittle 5th, etc

I liked the last can't miss prospect- Pitts, but he has been an utter disappointment.  He was picked at #4.  The hype was in line with the Bowers hype and yet he has not been particularly impactful.

In 2019 Hockenson was drafted 8th.  He has definitely been good, but I don't know about elite?  Worth the pick?  Maybe.  I think the fact that Detroit traded him says it all.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, offbyone said:

In regards to Bowers...TE weird in draft.  When was the last top 10 tight end picked who was worth it?  What about even first round?

I liked the last can't miss prospect- Pitts, but he has been an utter disappointment.  He was picked at #4.  The hype was in line with the Bowers hype and yet he has not been particularly impactful.

In 2019 Hockenson was drafted 8th.  He has definitely been good, but I don't know about elite?  Worth the pick?  Maybe.  I think the fact that Detroit traded him says it all.

Yeah, he's been available at 5 each time I've run a mock draft and each time (regardless of my scenario of what we did in FA) I've bypassed him at 5 (either trade down or picking another player)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

Isn't Hockenson like the best TE in football right now? He's pretty damn good. Pitts had a 1K yard season before being stuck in the dumbest offense ever. Kincaid has been pretty damn good. 

Bowers is an incredible talent. He's a tremendous receiver but he's also a very good blocker. He's a much more well-rounded TE than Pitts. I think its similar to the Bijan Robinson situation. Yes, you can get good value in the later rounds but is it going to be what you'd get from Bowers at his peak? Probably not. Would I take him over Fashanu? My heart says yes but my brain says no. Finding a stud OT is much more difficult outside of the first round. Most of the best ones are picked within the top 15 picks.

But the Bowers pick totally hinges on who we hire as head coach. If we hire someone who features the TE quite frequently you simply can't get better than Bowers. The issue you run into is I'm not sure Fashana and Alt are any different than most tackles you see in the draft every year however Bowers, there just isn't much talent like him out there. Its extremely rare. There's 3 guys in this draft that I think will be elite at their position very quickly. MHJ, Rome Odunze and Bowers. They just seem so much better than everyone else on the field. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Isn't Hockenson like the best TE in football right now? He's pretty damn good. Pitts had a 1K yard season before being stuck in the dumbest offense ever. Kincaid has been pretty damn good. 

Bowers is an incredible talent. He's a tremendous receiver but he's also a very good blocker. He's a much more well-rounded TE than Pitts. I think its similar to the Bijan Robinson situation. Yes, you can get good value in the later rounds but is it going to be what you'd get from Bowers at his peak? Probably not. Would I take him over Fashanu? My heart says yes but my brain says no. Finding a stud OT is much more difficult outside of the first round. Most of the best ones are picked within the top 15 picks.

But the Bowers pick totally hinges on who we hire as head coach. If we hire someone who features the TE quite frequently you simply can't get better than Bowers. The issue you run into is I'm not sure Fashana and Alt are any different than most tackles you see in the draft every year however Bowers, there just isn't much talent like him out there. Its extremely rare. There's 3 guys in this draft that I think will be elite at their position very quickly. MHJ, Rome Odunze and Bowers. They just seem so much better than everyone else on the field. 

Hockenson is good, but he is no Kelce.  And it has taken until his second contract for him to blossom.  Detroit traded him for a second and got a 4th back.  

I am just saying if you track the draft the majority of Tight Ends taken this high in the draft they underwhelm and the best Tight Ends seem to come in the later rounds.  So if use the law of averages Bowers is a risk.  Bowers might be an exception, but I would be wary.  It just seems like something in the tight evaluation doesn't translate to pro level.  I drooled over Pitts and he hasn't lifted his team up.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, offbyone said:

Hockenson is good, but he is no Kelce.  And it has taken until his second contract for him to blossom.  Detroit traded him for a second and got a 4th back.  

I am just saying if you track the draft the majority of Tight Ends taken this high in the draft they underwhelm and the best Tight Ends seem to come in the later rounds.  So if use the law of averages Bowers is a risk.  Bowers might be an exception, but I would be wary.  It just seems like something in the tight evaluation doesn't translate to pro level.  I drooled over Pitts and he hasn't lifted his team up.  

I think he’s actually been better than Kelce this year. Either way, I agree. TE at the top of the draft usually never equals the value you’re spending. I totally get it but at some point you just run into unicorn prospects. Obviously they don’t always pan out as we saw with Chase here but they’re rare players and you have to decide if you want to be the team to pass on that if you have a need. I’d say we do considering Logan’s age and extensive injury history.

I’ll be fine with it if they pass on Bowers but I also won’t be if they do it in the vein Rivera’s been doing it by taking much lesser players. If you’re passing on him for Alt, Fashanu or MHJ then I get it. If you’re doing it for Mims or Latham then no, it won’t make sense to me and I’ll be pretty upset. 

• Like 1

ADDRESS THE OFFENSIVE LINE!

No to Harrison. No to Bowers. Hard to get them the ball when you have to get it out in under two seconds. Terry, Josh, and Brown are all speedsters. All are having underwhelming years. You can say it's because Howell spreads it around. You should say it's because he doesn't have enough time, on average, to consistently get it to them. You should also say that Howell, realistically, should be hurt by now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsin2013 said:

ADDRESS THE OFFENSIVE LINE!

No to Harrison. No to Bowers. Hard to get them the ball when you have to get it out in under two seconds. Terry, Josh, and Brown are all speedsters. All are having underwhelming years. You can say it's because Howell spreads it around. You should say it's because he doesn't have enough time, on average, to consistently get it to them. You should also say that Howell, realistically, should be hurt by now.

It depends on who is available when we pick. If you’re picking at 6 and Alt and Fashanu are gone are you seriously reaching for Mims or Latham? Neither of which have shown they’re worth that pick. It just doesn’t make sense. That’s how you end up with guys like Jamin Davis and Emmanuel Forbes. I think there’s a good chance Fuaga is moved to guard in the NFL so are we taking a guard in the top 10 again? We’ve been over drafting guys for years under Rivera. My hope is that it stops with this next regime. 

Realistically you hope for one of Alt or Fashanu to be there but I’m not just taking an OL to take one. Especially in a draft where good OT like Graham Barton will most likely be available at the top of the second round.

31 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It depends on who is available when we pick. If you’re picking at 6 and Alt and Fashanu are gone are you seriously reaching for Mims or Latham? Neither of which have shown they’re worth that pick. It just doesn’t make sense. That’s how you end up with guys like Jamin Davis and Emmanuel Forbes. I think there’s a good chance Fuaga is moved to guard in the NFL so are we taking a guard in the top 10 again? We’ve been over drafting guys for years under Rivera. My hope is that it stops with this next regime. 

Realistically you hope for one of Alt or Fashanu to be there but I’m not just taking an OL to take one. Especially in a draft where good OT like Graham Barton will most likely be available at the top of the second round.

Yes, it depends on who is available. I expect there will be a top end OT at pick 5 or 6. I also suspect the position rankings will shift between now and the draft. 

And although unpopular, and depending upon who is there when we pick, I'm never against trading back. I'm a big believer in having a lot of bullets in the gun. Picks, even top 5 picks, flake out all the time.

One thing we can all agree on, I hope we get some damn good talent evaluators in the front office soon after this season ends.

Edited by Skinsin2013
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Yes, it depends on who is available. I expect there will be a top end OT at pick 5 or 6. I also suspect the position rankings will shift between now and the draft. 

And although unpopular, and depending upon who is there when we pick, I'm never against trading back. I'm a big believer in having a lot of bullets in the gun. Picks, even top 5 picks, flake out all the time.

One thing we can all agree on, I hope we get some damn good talent evaluators in the front office soon after this season ends.

You can also have too many picks, though with the talent deficit we have here, that won’t be a problem with this year’s draft.  

• Like 1