The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

3 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I hated when we had a 3-4 defense years ago. I’m kind of wanting us to have it again as long as we have the right players and the right coaches to run it. 
If this were the case draft T’vondre Sweat of Texas. 6’4 350 massive and very athletic for his size. 
I also sign Tim Settle still only 26. 

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of the 3-4, but @e16bballreminded me of how the Pats did so well in the early 2000s as everyone was chasing the 4-3 LBs, they went 3-4 and got huge value from the tweeners. We could do the same thing here.

• Like 2

It’s so crazy how peaceful a bye week can be compared to the ever falling roller coaster ride this team has managed to become. Personally idc where we draft because good run teams have and maintain a vision. Hire a quality GM and staff let them hire a coach who they work well with as far as football sides not their bestest buddies and run this team competently. Thats the best thing that can come from this offseason

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 6:45 PM, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of the 3-4, but @e16bballreminded me of how the Pats did so well in the early 2000s as everyone was chasing the 4-3 LBs, they went 3-4 and got huge value from the tweeners. We could do the same thing here.

I mean we already have 3 tweeners in Henry, Andre Jones & if the new regime keeps Shaka Toney. Not saying any of them are definitely the answer but they’re all 255 or less as pass rushers.

And if we keep our current DTs, we already have two 3-4 DEs w/ Allen & Payne plus 2 NTs w/ Ridgeway & Mathis. We’d have to sign/draft two 3-4 DE types though to back up Allen & Payne.

We’d also still need an upgrade at MIKE LB & an upgrade at back up MIKE w/ Jamin & Hudson being the two 3-4 WILBs.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, offbyone said:

Do you guys all have dementia?  I can't believe you guys are getting sucked back into the 3-4.  

The problem with our D in the 3-4 was always personnel. We never had a good DL until Jon Allen & Payne were drafted bc of either injury or a neglect of it. After Fletcher retired we never had great ILBs & other than a few players we didn’t have a lot of talent on or secondary.

it wasn’t the scheme, it was more the players & lack of talent as to why our D wasn’t even average except for a few years last decade in the 3-4.

14 hours ago, offbyone said:

Do you guys all have dementia?  I can't believe you guys are getting sucked back into the 3-4.  

Is it a bad system? Or were we just bad at it?

The Steelers, Ravens, and Pats have been using it with consistently excellent results for the last 20 years or so. Seems to be working okay for the Vikings in making that transition this year. 

The appeal is that we presently have zero players who can’t fit a 3-4 scheme, and I think the holes that exist — specifically the EDGE positions and at least one off-ball spot — are easier to fill if we’re trying to add traditional 3-4 personnel.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

2:00 left up by 15 pts. Have the ball. Bears Baby! Victory!

Things are going to get real interesting with that #1 pick if Fields keeps playing pretty well and winning games.

We probably ought to keep reviewing that Caleb Williams film, my friends…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Is it a bad system? Or were we just bad at it?

The Steelers, Ravens, and Pats have been using it with consistently excellent results for the last 20 years or so. Seems to be working okay for the Vikings in making that transition this year. 

The appeal is that we presently have zero players who can’t fit a 3-4 scheme, and I think the holes that exist — specifically the EDGE positions and at least one off-ball spot — are easier to fill if we’re trying to add traditional 3-4 personnel.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d75acwh9ly2ccrl4bqam