Week 3: New Orleans Saints (2-0) at Green Bay Packers (1-1)

Old Guy

1 hour ago, Zycho32 said:

The toggling between Walker and Nijman doesn't give me much faith that they won't get too clever and just juggle lineups. I'd honestly rather they didn't.

Yeah, I'd prefer there weren't multiple guys jumping around and starters taking on new positions.  If it were me, I'd leave Myers, Runyan, and Tom where they are, leave Bakhi and Walker at LT, and just select between Newman and Rhyan for LG.  

15 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

The toggling between Walker and Nijman doesn't give me much faith that they won't get too clever and just juggle lineups. I'd honestly rather they didn't.

The reason for that in the last game was whenever Nijman came into the game, he played LT and Walker became a tackle eligible. The rule states if you are eligible for a play, you must be eligible the next play or come out of the game. So, Walker had to come out of the game for one play, then went back in.

Also, per MLF's presser, "the best five play!" If Bak is a go, I would imagine Walker was given reps at guard this week and would expect him in there. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The reason for that in the last game was whenever Nijman came into the game, he played LT and Walker became a tackle eligible. The rule states if you are eligible for a play, you must be eligible the next play or come out of the game. So, Walker had to come out of the game for one play, then went back in.

Also, per MLF's presser, "the best five play!" If Bak is a go, I would imagine Walker was given reps at guard this week and would expect him in there. 

That feels a bit needlessly complicated. I'm not sure how much better Walker is as open-field mobility than Nijman, but it can't be by that much.

Given that, I can see them using Walker as a Guard, but I have little faith in the idea being anything other than a management miscue, or at least one that treads water but adds little in long-term development.

15 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

That feels a bit needlessly complicated. I'm not sure how much better Walker is as open-field mobility than Nijman, but it can't be by that much.

Given that, I can see them using Walker as a Guard, but I have little faith in the idea being anything other than a management miscue, or at least one that treads water but adds little in long-term development.

I'm guessing in practice the plan all along was Bak was going to be the tackle on those plays and Walker actually practiced as the tackle eligible. Since Bak doesn't practice Nijman was the LT. With Bak out they just ran it like they practiced. which makes sense to me.

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

I'm guessing in practice the plan all along was Bak was going to be the tackle on those plays and Walker actually practiced as the tackle eligible. Since Bak doesn't play Nijman was the LT, in like in practice and Walker the tackle eligible.  

Okay, that makes more sense. I would like to say my present amount of sleep deprivation makes me unable to think, but I doubt I'd have figured that out even on full rest.

1 minute ago, Zycho32 said:

Okay, that makes more sense. I would like to say my present amount of sleep deprivation makes me unable to think, but I doubt I'd have figured that out even on full rest.

Clearly, I haven't had enough sleep either because you actually had to translate my poor English. Well done! 

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Clearly, I haven't had enough sleep either because you actually had to translate my poor English. Well done! 

Oh no, you were perfectly clear. I had forgotten to take Bak into account and I thought the Walker/Yosh thing was an isolated mess. I was looking at the whole thing the wrong way.

I fear Watson is going to struggle with hamstring issues for the rest of his career.  He might be fast and all but he does us no good standing on the sidelines in street clothes every week.  Let's hope the other young WRs we have added recently will continue to improve so the loss of Watson isn't so noticeable.  Gute may have to address this position yet again in the next draft.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I fear Watson is going to struggle with hamstring issues for the rest of his career.  He might be fast and all but he does us no good standing on the sidelines in street clothes every week.  Let's hope the other young WRs we have added recently will continue to improve so the loss of Watson isn't so noticeable.  Gute may have to address this position yet again in the next draft.  

If his hammy is like this now at 24... imagine at 30?

It'll be feeling like fresh halal meat coming off the bone