Week 3 GDT: Titans @ Browns

615finest

this is just baffling. we heard all offseason about how tim kelly's system was going to be *more* quick game as is typical of earhardt perkins, and this would help mitigate our OL issues. instead we're getting a bunch of downfield sideline shots, not working the middle of the field at all, and failing to get our guys the ball in space. the OL play is bad but our playcalling choices are making it worse. 

• Like 1

I think most agree Vrabel is a good HC, and a Super Bowl winning level HC. The issue I have is like someone above said he "just" needs a top QB. I think 1/2 of the current coaches could get a SB if they had a top QB. We don't, and we likely won't for the foreseeable future which is why we need a Head Coach that is offensive minded and will create a better version of a QB like Tanny...also easier said than done I know But Vrab's ain't that guy!!

He literally had the opportunity to inject some new life into the offense and he hired from within...from a historically bad offense...so who can be surprised we are once again getting nothing out of our offensive unit. His issue is he wants to pound the ball control the clock and win a game 17-14...that era is gone. You can win games that way but you can't win vs other top teams. KC, MIA, SF, CIN, BUF...teams like that we can't beat up and win close like Vrab's likes. Of course we have actually beat all of those teams the last couple of years, but they also beat us when it mattered. Even middling teams can beat us if they get any offensive output early...because we are not built to come back. 

Last thing...the best measure of a coaches ability is them vs ours...if we swapped coaches how would it turn out? I think it's fair to say we would get better more watchable football with a more innovative staff. Just picture some our opponents offenses if Vrabel was calling the shots.

9 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Hurts doesn't pass my sniff test. To me his "Good" Tannehill level.  Meaning give him a great offensive line. WRs to throw to, a running game, a strong defense and a good playcaller, you get MVP level stuff.

Put Hurts on the Titans and you get a version of decent Tannehill. 

Philly has a good roster.  Mainly a good offensive line.

I've learned more than ever that these coaches and QB's are only as good as the roster that surrounds them. 
New England went to smartest most powerful team ever to mid-level franchise after the QB left. 

QB and offensive line should be the only thing on Ran's whiteboard. 

Vrabel would be the best coach to ever exist if he had a QB.  

Put AJ on the Bears, Fields isn't magically becoming a franchise QB.

Put Fields and AJ on the Eagles....Hurts on the Bears.... Both franchises would still be continuing on the same paths they are now. 

Sean Payton is a bad coach now?  No. He was great with a HOF QB in Brees. Now he has a mid level guy in Wilson and boom. 

Everything is circumstantial to me. 

My point is that Hurts is terrible, and AJ Brown was so good that he made him "good." And the Titans are so incompetent that they let him walk over a few million dollars.

Also lol, at Vrabel ever getting a QB. That would require developing one, which is not gonna happen. Lmao When have we ever done that? Steve McNair? I'd argue McNair developed despite us, not because of us.  

There is no hope for a franchise run by Bafoons or "player's coaches." I am so sick of that term. GIve me an emotionless autistic robot that can mathematically, systematically shred for 30+ a game with a mid-tier defense every time over a "defense wins championships git er dun" coach.

Edited by Kookie23
  • Like 1

https://x.com/TicTacTitans/status/1706756456429895950?s=20

Im not even remotely insinuating he was a guy we "needed" to keep. But I always wonder why, among all the retread TEs, we let Mycole Pruitt go. He was a good blocker and better receiver than Swaim. Given we love trotting out guys who wouldn't sniff the field on 95% of teams for significant snaps, Pruitt was the one that I actually liked.

3 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

https://x.com/TicTacTitans/status/1706756456429895950?s=20

Im not even remotely insinuating he was a guy we "needed" to keep. But I always wonder why, among all the retread TEs, we let Mycole Pruitt go. He was a good blocker and better receiver than Swaim. Given we love trotting out guys who wouldn't sniff the field on 95% of teams for significant snaps, Pruitt was the one that I actually liked.

I haven't watched any of his play in Atlanta, but I wonder if that ankle injury he suffered in '21(vs Miami I think?) really harmed his abilities. Was a fracture and I think dislocation too.

11 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I haven't watched any of his play in Atlanta, but I wonder if that ankle injury he suffered in '21(vs Miami I think?) really harmed his abilities. Was a fracture and I think dislocation too.

Probable/almost certainly/I have no idea

He was just a legit "good" backup/dirty work TE for us

• Like 1

It is interesting to see the stats that seem to reinforce my main belief that this offense is predicated on dominating the ball with a run game and using the pass game as a big play option similar in a way to the 85 Bears.  This is okay when our run game is working and lead to us winning a ton of games by staying close and winning it with a dominant ball control finish.  But it is also pragmatic and worrisome if we get behind by 2 or more scores 

Watching the ALL-22 for this game. Damn man. We really had our chances early in this game to make an impact and play with the lead. Early missed sacks, that in breaker by Burks that's dropped is basically a td, and the fumble recovery that could have been a td, that we follow up with a telegraphed option run to Henry for a loss that settles the d inside the red zone. Ugly.

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

early indications are we should pay SMB and not fulton. if you told me that before the season it wouldn't surprise me, but the (unpleasant) surprise is how vast the gap between their play is and how bad fulton's been.

No way they resign Fulton. Even if he finishes with 12 INTs. 

His history shows that he will not consistently be healthy or good.