Week 4 GDT: Bengals @ Titans

TitanLegend

these last two games have been about as jekyll and hyde as it gets. no idea what to expect from this team. the bengals' passing offense is in the absolute gutter, so i'm not sold on the defense yet, but they did what they had to do today against a unit that still has some talented players. next week is going to be a tougher test- anthony richardson is the type of quarterback we literally always fail to tackle and let run all over us, and steichen looks like a sharp offensive coach. it's going to be a miserable day if we fail to wrap him up like we did with watson.

the offense kind of is what it is- i think we'll be able to move the ball at an average level when teams don't have a great pass rush, but there's still so little playmaking ability. i don't know if i've seen a WR break a single tackle after the catch this year, and treylon has been so bad to start the year that we genuinely did not miss him at all today. dillard is still godawful and i'm praying we'll put skoronski in his spot, but we seem to have a frustrating aversion to common sense when it comes to trying our blue-chip left tackle prospect at his actual position. the bright spot is that tim kelly is undeniably in a different league compared to downing though. was nice to see a vintage king performance today too. we'll need more of that, but it's hard to say how consistently the OL will be able to run block like this for him.

ultimately this is probably just a middling team and it'll really depend on the bounces we and the other AFC south teams get to see who actually wins the division. 

Edited by -Hope-

1 hour ago, 615finest said:

The play calling was enjoyable today.. Kelly was in his bag something our OC last year can only dream of.. Games were so boring last year

Cleveland game is the only one I haven't watched, but for the other three, I really enjoyed the play-calling. First two games it was more held back by abysmal OL play and inconsistent QB/WR performances, but I really like what Kelly is doing. We take shots when we can, we mix it up with some cool stuff here and there. If the OL somehow improves, hopefully at least once Skoronski is back, I do believe this offense can find a rhythm to allow us to win games.

Still need to replace Dillard with Skor when he returns.  Radunz is a liability as well but you can have a dud at OG more than LT.  Dillard is a lost cause right now.  Might even see if Murray can play LG unless they want to move NPF there and keep Hubbard at RT.  Both LG and LT need to be upgraded and when NPF and SKor are available we can do that.  

Edited by Soxcat

24 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Still need to replace Dillard with Skor when he returns.  Radunz is a liability as well but you can have a dud at OG more than LT.  Dillard is a lost cause right now.  Might even see if Murray can play LG unless they want to move NPF there and keep Hubbard at RT.  Both LG and LT need to be upgraded and when NPF and SKor are available we can do that.  

Is Radunz a dud?

29 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Is Radunz a dud?

I agree I don’t think he’s a dud at all. A dud (of the highest order) would be an Isiah Wilson. I think Radunz has been solid when he had played. Dillard on the other hand is awful. 

Edited by Titansfan

15 hours ago, -Hope- said:

these last two games have been about as jekyll and hyde as it gets. no idea what to expect from this team. the bengals' passing offense is in the absolute gutter, so i'm not sold on the defense yet, but they did what they had to do today against a unit that still has some talented players. next week is going to be a tougher test- anthony richardson is the type of quarterback we literally always fail to tackle and let run all over us, and steichen looks like a sharp offensive coach. it's going to be a miserable day if we fail to wrap him up like we did with watson.

the offense kind of is what it is- i think we'll be able to move the ball at an average level when teams don't have a great pass rush, but there's still so little playmaking ability. i don't know if i've seen a WR break a single tackle after the catch this year, and treylon has been so bad to start the year that we genuinely did not miss him at all today. dillard is still godawful and i'm praying we'll put skoronski in his spot, but we seem to have a frustrating aversion to common sense when it comes to trying our blue-chip left tackle prospect at his actual position. the bright spot is that tim kelly is undeniably in a different league compared to downing though. was nice to see a vintage king performance today too. we'll need more of that, but it's hard to say how consistently the OL will be able to run block like this for him.

ultimately this is probably just a middling team and it'll really depend on the bounces we and the other AFC south teams get to see who actually wins the division. 

It's the matchup to me.  If the opposing defense doesn't have a DL that can both stop the run and bother Tanny, the offense can actually move and put up some points.  Not a ton, but some.

On the other side, if the offensive line can stand up to the Titans DL in a four man rush, they're gonna be able to make hay in the passing game.

We have just enough talent at WR/TE to function if the other team sells out to stop Henry and Spears, but not enough to function if the other team can stop them without completely stacking the box.  And we have enough DL talent to make up for our DBs if the other OL has enough holes.

Any time we can't do one of those things, we look like basement dwellers.

https://x.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1708545457704554561?s=20

honestly, might be my fav Derrick TD run ever. Know that sounds crazy given there have been some true stunners. But, as a fan who gets way too emotionally invested, this run was a ton of Cincy-caused frustration  just let out in one mean stiff arm.

I hate Cincy. I think they’re soft AF. This was therapy.

2 minutes ago, 615finest said:

So we here does NPF go now that he’s back? Hubbard hasn’t done anything to lose the job

He doesn't, unless he's just killing it in practice.  Skoronski will probably be back soon at LG, so unless NPF looks like an improvement over Dillard at LT, I see no reason to have him anywhere other than as a backup.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

He doesn't, unless he's just killing it in practice.  Skoronski will probably be back soon at LG, so unless NPF looks like an improvement over Dillard at LT, I see no reason to have him anywhere other than as a backup.

hubbard has been fine as a spot starter but he's required a lot of help in pass blocking. if NPF can do a little more on his own he needs to start at RT, because we can't be a functional offense if we're constantly helping both tackles and we sure as hell have to give dillard help. that's a big if, though. no idea if NPF is any good at this point.