In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

7 hours ago, swede700 said:

Yeah, I don't know what happened with Evans...but, it also coincided with Murphy being out, so I don't know what kind of impact that had as well.

All I know is they better prioritize a CB this offseason. Murphy is solid but I have no idea what to think of Evans and Blackmon. Safe to say Boothe is a bust?

3 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I’d love to shock everyone, and the first contract agreement we have is with D Hunter, the earlier the better. 

i want first priority to be Hunter. 

(Flores co-signs this message)

I actually agree. Though I hope they can get a deal done with Cousins but if they can at least not have a glaring hole at edge, that opens up pick 11 to focus on QB or CB. 

11 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Safe to say Boothe is a bust?

No, I wouldn't necessarily say that's safe to say yet, unless you anticipate him being a starter.  That's probably not likely, but he can still be a significant contributor. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

No, I wouldn't necessarily say that's safe to say yet, unless you anticipate him being a starter.  That's probably not likely, but he can still be a significant contributor. 

It just feels like we have several 3 through 5 CBs on the roster where it might be a numbers game for him. I can’t imagine they’d assume Blackmon and Evans to uncontested starters. I’d assume a FA may be prioritized in addition to an early draft pick. Which means your 4th and 5th CBs could be Evans and Blackmon. However, considering where Boothe was drafted, he’s a bust. He wasn’t drafted to be a reserve. He was essentially one of the two top picks that year as a result of a trade down. So yes a player taken that highly really should be a starter by year two or three. Cine is a much bigger bust but Boothe isn’t far behind him. At least Cine has the injury excuse but I don’t think it’s valid anymore.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

It just feels like we have several 3 through 5 CBs on the roster where it might be a numbers game for him. I can’t imagine they’d assume Blackmon and Evans to uncontested starters. I’d assume a FA may be prioritized in addition to an early draft pick. Which means your 4th and 5th CBs could be Evans and Blackmon. However, considering where Boothe was drafted, he’s a bust. He wasn’t drafted to be a reserve. He was essentially one of the two top picks that year as a result of a trade down. So yes a player taken that highly really should be a starter by year two or three. Cine is a much bigger bust but Boothe isn’t far behind him. At least Cine has the injury excuse but I don’t think it’s valid anymore.

I could see Blackmon and Evans competing to be the #2. Can't fill every hole in 1 offseason and they've both shown periods of competent play as young players

14 hours ago, babababa said:

How about Kwessi stop drafting DBs in the early rounds. He's done it a lot and he's not good at it. 

You must be talking about Spielman.  In the first 2 rounds, KAM only took Cine and Booth.  Evans, Blackmon and Ward have all been 3rd rd or later.  Spielman took Gladney, Hughes and Waynes all in the 1st rd and Mackensie Alexander in the 2nd...and ended up being far more successful at taking them later (Bynum, Metellus, Epps (in Philly) and Kearse (in Dallas))

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

You must be talking about Spielman.  In the first 2 rounds, KAM only took Cine and Booth.  Evans, Blackmon and Ward have all been 3rd rd or later.  Spielman took Gladney, Hughes and Waynes all in the 1st rd and Mackensie Alexander in the 2nd...and ended up being far more successful at taking them later (Bynum, Metellus, Epps (in Philly) and Kearse (in Dallas))

So 2 out of 4 is half of the early draft picks. But yes I should have said early-mid rounds technically. So the early rounds are bad and the mid-rd picks have been mediocre (The Vikings secondary was horrible the final 4 games of the season) and/or non-factors (Ward). 

If you'd like to compare Spielman, Waynes and Alexander had good/decent years. Also you neglected to mention Xavier Rhodes. Gladney we'll never know as he's was a sad story. Even so, he had 1 good year of football with the Vikings. Hughes-sure.

Atlanta Falcons
Seattle Seahawks
Washington Commanders
Carolina Panthers
Tennessee Titans
Las Vegas Raiders
LA Chargers

Until some more of these pieces fall, yeah he will not get much attention.  Not every day you have quality coaches like Belichick just around, much less Vrabel and Jim Harbaugh.  Who knows what Quinn wants to do or Anarumo.  Slowik is the hot name as is Johnson but both benefit a lot from personnel they have offensively as well.  Hard to dislike what Slowik has done on the Texans especially with their OL injuries.  You take out those top three and that lists changes completely.

Bill Belichick
Mike Vrabel
Jim Harbaugh
Ben Johnson
Dan Quinn
Bobby Slowik 
Lou Anarumo

Jerod Mayo:  New England Patriots