In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

7 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

The Vikings have given up 20, 34, 28, 13, and 27 points per game so far. 24.4 per game. 22nd in the league.

I think that's a talent problem more than a coaching problem. We did Flores no favors with poor drafting by the new FO.

But Flores is still helping some of his players flourish. The Smith/Bynum/Mettellus Safety group is great, Ivan Pace looks like a future star, and Akayleb Evans and Mekhi Blackmon can at least see the field and be decent enough. Jordan Hicks looks different this year too.

Buuuut...guys like Cine and Booth either are buried in the depth chart, or are often injured. At this point, I'm not sure either are on the team next season. Asamoah might have a chance to start at some point, but to me looks like a special teams ace more than anything.

Flores needs more to work with.

Edited by SteelKing728
  • Like 1

As I review the first 5 games defensively, the scheme is trending the right way.  Statically, the D is only marginally better than last year right now, but if you look at how they've improved since weeks 1 and 2, its at least a positive.  

They didn't have all the answers on Mahomes. But, I thought they played well overall.   The held the running game in check.  Too streaky in stopping them on 3rd down though.  

Flores appears to be using Hunter the right way!   I think he's showing he'll call the blitz to the Vikes' advantage.  Hammered it home at Carolina, but when facing the best, he dialed it back and played honest.  

Ultimately, this D needs to keep morphing.  

• Like 1

I would agree with the point that there are a few key positional players needed to get this D rolling towards the top. Specifically on the line when it comes to run blocking and in the secondary, especially with what seems like a wasted pick in Cine since he cannot get healthy. 

Overall, I think Flores is doing a fantastic job and will be here for a couple years at least until this squad is a top 5-10 unit. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

As I review the first 5 games defensively, the scheme is trending the right way.  Statically, the D is only marginally better than last year right now, but if you look at how they've improved since weeks 1 and 2, its at least a positive.  

They didn't have all the answers on Mahomes. But, I thought they played well overall.   The held the running game in check.  Too streaky in stopping them on 3rd down though.  

Flores appears to be using Hunter the right way!   I think he's showing he'll call the blitz to the Vikes' advantage.  Hammered it home at Carolina, but when facing the best, he dialed it back and played honest.  

Ultimately, this D needs to keep morphing.  

And needs more infusion of talent...which certainly can't happen this year. 

22 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Flores is getting the best out of his players that he can in the first 5 games.  They will get incrementally better each week. However, he can't produce better talent at defensive line.  That's Kwesi's job.

I agree. They definitely got pressure yesterday.....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, swede700 said:

While I didn't watch his every snap, I think he did okay. 

Yeah he was fine. He should have had an INT though.

We can get more talent in season but that's tough to do. Last year we managed it with Duke Shelley but he was a below average CB, which was an upgrade over Cam Dantzler lol

Of course. He’s the least of my worries tbh. I feel bad for him having to draw up everything in his arsenal only for this defense to be mildly decent. But I suppose that’s the best that we could hoped for given how bad we were last season. 

Flores is great. 

• Like 1