The good, bad and fire Josh McDaniels. Dolts edition.

Totty

I'm starting to think if it would be a better idea to let JMD finish the season, to ensure that we get the best possible draft position.
I don't have the confidence that it is getting better with JMD anymore, but what if firing him means, that the team starts growing together
and win a couple of games with a interim HC (like with Bisaccia).

The Good

AOC started a bit like a deer in headlights, holding the ball a bit too long and a bit unsure it seemed (which is understandable) but became more settled as the game went on, had decent velocity on throws and there were some genuinely good throws out there. He'll learn from the ball security issues and it was a real baptism of fire but I think he'll be better for it. He grew into the game, that 4th down throw to Adams was money, shame about that last INT. I'd stick with him now as it seemed to open the offence up a little with him in and we need to know what we have if we're in the QB stakes at year end. We're not winning anything with Garoppolo anyway.

Wilson showed a counter move and had a TFL I believe and some pressure. Small steps for now but steps in the right direction for sure.

Jacobs finding his groove a little more and delivering in the passing game, was a great pressure release valve for AOC. He picked up a few blitzes too that were just great, one on that last drive was terrific as AOC was about to be pummelled again.

Yay! we got our first turnover. Again, we should have had two though.

Crosby looking like he's taken a step up to elite, he's converting those pressures into sacks, impacting the game in every way he can and is a real leader out there, impressive given the lack of support.

Defence again stepped up big in the 4th, in fairness they did miss too many tackles and were a bit sloppy at times but they've improved from last year for sure and are not a liability out there.

The Bad

Tackling was shoddy all day, Spillane and Peters missed a few and Deablo I have no idea what he was doing to Herbert, trying to shake his hand maybe when he should be trying to flatten the guy? I want wild boar hunters out there, not guys who buy their bacon at the grocery shop 😈

Peters is the type of player who looks good when there is Dline pressure and he's on a good D but he's a softy and he's getting a bit exposed here.

Yet again very little push from the DTs and Silvera got nicked up aswell, not sure at this point what the answer is but hope we cut the liability that is Tillery, I said it all pre season he has no business being on this roster, too many negatives and not enough positive to make up for it. It literally is only a matter of time before he does something stupid and we're not good enough to overcome those things.

Refereeing today was pretty shocking and inconsistent. I want to make it clear I'm not blaming it for the loss as our mistakes cost us, but its not good enough from a supposedly professional crew.

The Ugly

Of all people to let destroy us again, we let Mack? Have we not seen this guy before? Even if we hoped to keep a lid on it, after two or three sacks it doesn't occur to add help to the tackles? With a 4th round rookie QB in his first start...............could we have made it any more difficult for the poor kid or tried to wreck his confidence any more? Bad coaching.

1st and goal at the 4 and I think we'd have all run Jacobs at them 4 times..........he's playing well and the Chargers are on the ropes. I think McDaniels overthought that one and thought the D would be expecting run, would bite and we'd just have an open guy all alone in the end zone. I can understand why he called that but I just think you take the pressure off the 4th round rookie in his first start and simply pound it in. On it's own, not a terrible call but when added to the FG last week and I think there was one where we didn't challenge a potential TD and a  few others it's worrying. Bad coaching.

• Like 3

We’re a poorly coached and ill-disciplined team, which lead to a whole lot of ugly yesterday. I can’t see a way back for Josh now, and I can’t wait for the day we can finally say good riddance.

If we want to look for positives, I thought AOC grew into the game and ended up looking alright. He’s not the QBOTF, but I feel like he has enough about him to be our backup going forward. Tyree Wilson also looked like an NFL player for the first time this week - there’s still a long way to go for him but there were definite signs of improvement yesterday.

The good- 1 game closer to mcdummy being gone.

aoc can be a decent #2

wilson and Bennett look like they might have a future. Along with Koonce.

the bad- tackling and ball security

the ugly- play calling, no help for Mack, throwing aoc under the bus in spite of the 2 aforementioned. Tillery and elu-manure with boneheaded penalties......as usual. I’m ready for tillery to be gone, and to find out what we REALLY have in munford (see m Koonce, for example.smh)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Significantly? 
In what aspects? 

Accuracy, ability to read the field, movement in the pocket, movement outside of the pocket, experience.

Garoppolo has looked good this year in between the laughably bad plays and inability to attack the defense deep. That said, nothing from AOC yesterday made me think he is a better option right now.

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Accuracy, ability to read the field, movement in the pocket, movement outside of the pocket, experience.

Garoppolo has looked good this year in between the laughably bad plays and inability to attack the defense deep. That said, nothing from AOC yesterday made me think he is a better option right now.

Ill give you accuracy...
ability to read the field, more like ability to locate DA. Thats about it, its why he leads the league in INTS with missing 1 game. 
movement ill give you
experience - only one way to get experience. 

-
AOC though;
Arm strength. abililty to utilize the entire field. 
willingness to take shots to back defenders off. (yes they couldve/shouldve been picked yesterday, but it backs the safetys off). 
room to grow. 

Jimmy condensing the field into 20 yard chunks has severely hurt our team. 

-
end of the day though, this should be the captains decision, not JMDs. DA and Jacobs especially

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

end of the day though, this should be the captains decision, not JMDs. DA and Jacobs especially

At this point in the season, I couldn't see either going with a 4th round rookie. If the team is out playoff contention, I could see it, but not now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

On the positive parts this season…

aside from the Buffalo performance, Buffalo has steamed rolled their last few opponents 

The defense is better than before. We need more turnovers but they are showing signs of improvement 

Ok now how about the Steelers?

5 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

On the positive parts this season…

aside from the Buffalo performance, Buffalo has steamed rolled their last few opponents 

The defense is better than before. We need more turnovers but they are showing signs of improvement 

It appears, we can hang with below average teams. 
broncos steelers chargers, all 1-2 outside of playing us. 

Our exact team, better coached is 3-0 in those games. 

Still get rocked by buff (who is no doubt an elite team(
-
which makes me think, better coaching we may be able to sneak into playoffs. 
But we cannot compete with the bigboys yet, regardless of coaching alone. 

• Like 1

Just now, BackinBlack said:

It appears, we can hang with below average teams. 
broncos steelers chargers, all 1-2 outside of playing us. 

Our exact team, better coached is 3-0 in those games. 

Still get rocked by buff (who is no doubt an elite team(
-
which makes me think, better coaching we may be able to sneak into playoffs. 
But we cannot compete with the bigboys yet, regardless of coaching alone. 

I agree . A better coached team is 3-1 today

Make us think that the roster isn’t as bad we suspected. This may lead to JMD getting fired as we are under performing 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nightmare said:

We’re a poorly coached and ill-disciplined team, which lead to a whole lot of ugly yesterday. I can’t see a way back for Josh now, and I can’t wait for the day we can finally say good riddance.

If we want to look for positives, I thought AOC grew into the game and ended up looking alright. He’s not the QBOTF, but I feel like he has enough about him to be our backup going forward. Tyree Wilson also looked like an NFL player for the first time this week - there’s still a long way to go for him but there were definite signs of improvement yesterday.

I agree with most of this, though I do question why AOC can be deemed ‘not the QBoTF’ after only one game? What do you see that makes you sure he can’t be? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

I'm starting to think if it would be a better idea to let JMD finish the season, to ensure that we get the best possible draft position.
I don't have the confidence that it is getting better with JMD anymore, but what if firing him means, that the team starts growing together
and win a couple of games with a interim HC (like with Bisaccia).

I don't fully disagree, but I do worry about Josh’s ability to screw up and manage to win a few gimmes once the heat truly ramps up in hopes of self preservation. 

I almost wonder if firing him, appointing an interim HC and point blank telling him "We're not even considering making it a full time gig, just finish the year getting paid and best of luck in your future endeavors" wouldn't be the safer route.