Week 5 GDT: Broncos vs. NY Jets

broncosfan_101

8 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

1. Take Williams

2. Take Maye

3. Trade down

Really the only three options that make sense for this team in its current state. 

If you’re not convinced the QB left on the board is the dude, I have no problem with this.   To be Williams & Maye are at that can’t-pass up level.  It would take a lot to get a 3rd qb there, but it’s possible (it would have to be a guy who’s not a 1-year wonder and had early success vs good competition - so that eliminates a lot of ppl).  

Really it comes down to how early we pick.  If we’re in the top 5 then Maye is very much in play.   Top 3 and it’s almost a lock.   1.1 is still a pipe dream but a 3-5 pick is very much in play.   

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Fashanu is absolutely on the table given Payton likes OLs and has been generally good in OL development. I think Marvin Harrison Jr. could/should certainly be considered, but I don't think Denver should spend the luxury pick on WR when there's so much else to fix, and that's coming from a guy who is all for drafting skill position players annually in this day and age.

Depending on where you are trading down and still getting 1 of those 2 (or Alt ) is possible.   Let’s say we’re at 4 and Williams / Maye are gone - trading back to 6-7 would still likely net 1 of those 3.  

I wouldn’t even dream of passing  on Williams / Maye but there’s a scenario we can’t get them but pick result and can trade down and stlll get a foundation T or Harrison Jr (can trade far back; but still possible esp if the 2nd tier of QB’s gets pumped up hype wise).  

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Is Penix Jr. the 3rd QB to look at?  I know it's petty, but I am not keen on left-handed QBs. 

At this stage, it's probably fair to say there's no clear 3rd QB.  Penix has the early success vs. good competition, which is why I favor him, but I'm not sold he's at a level above the rest...yet.   There are a lot of QB's who are generating R1 buzz, but no one is at the "def will go R1" level yet outside of Wiliams & Maye.

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

At this stage, it's probably fair to say there's no clear 3rd QB.  Penix has the early success vs. good competition, which is why I favor him, but I'm not sold he's at a level above the rest...yet.   There are a lot of QB's who are generating R1 buzz, but no one is at the "def will go R1" level yet outside of Wiliams & Maye.

I think right now there are 7-8 QB’s that I’d give a starting grade to. It’s a great QB draft. Caleb and Maye are the can’t miss tier, but after that I’d be real tempted to trade down for (at least) a 1 and 2 and be aggressive with a trade up at some point for a QB that Sean likes. 

4 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I think right now there are 7-8 QB’s that I’d give a starting grade to. It’s a great QB draft. Caleb and Maye are the can’t miss tier, but after that I’d be real tempted to trade down for (at least) a 1 and 2 and be aggressive with a trade up at some point for a QB that Sean likes. 

The danger though is getting a "starter-level" QB has a lot more variation, and not as much ceiling.    And then you get into a debate on whether it's worth it, depending on the spot (I get you are saying trade back, get another future 1st, and still end up with the QB, not the same as just taking a non-elite ceiling guy in R1 straiht up). 

It's so much easier if we are where Maye is available (I refuse to acknowledge any possibility that we can sniff 1.1 and Caleb Williams - tonight kinda showed why, even if we lost).  That's all, then there's no debate on what Payton & Paton likely want to do (or should do).

Edited by Broncofan

As much as I love Caleb, and I do.  I am just worried that what if he is Andrew Luck or Trevor Lawrence, where you think generational talent, but in the end, they are really Tier 2 QBs who sometimes play like their Tier 1 capabilities.  But then again, Caleb could be the second coming of Mahomes.  I can see it going either way.   With Maye, I feel more confident that you get a Justin Herbert or Joe Burrow-level production, which I am fine with.   

On 10/12/2023 at 8:36 AM, broncos67 said:

Fashanu is absolutely on the table given Payton likes OLs and has been generally good in OL development. I think Marvin Harrison Jr. could/should certainly be considered, but I don't think Denver should spend the luxury pick on WR when there's so much else to fix, and that's coming from a guy who is all for drafting skill position players annually in this day and age.

Harrison doesn't feel like a luxury pick, but I get the sentiment. The Raider passed on Calvin Johnson for a bust QB because of the same reasoning. It should go QB, OT, trade out for Denver, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a generational prospect at WR next. Harrison is different and will be a massive asset to the eventual QB.  

I'd hate drafting a WR in the top 3. Seriously if we end up at 3 I'd prefer to trade up to 2 to get Maye than stand pat at 3 and take a WR, no matter how good he is.

Justin Jefferson is the best WR in the NFL and has a solid, albeit unspectacular QB, in Cousins and the Vikings are 1-4. Jets have Garrett Wilson, a stud, and they are 9-13 with him on the roster. How have the Raiders done with Davante Adams? The list goes on and on. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I'd hate drafting a WR in the top 3. Seriously if we end up at 3 I'd prefer to trade up to 2 to just Maye than standpat at 3 and take a WR, no matter how good he is.

Justin Jefferson is the best WR in the NFL and has a solid, albeit unspectacular QB, in Cousins and the Vikings are 1-4. Jets have Garrett Wilson, a stud, and they are 9-13 with him on the roster. How have the Raiders done with Davante Adams? The list goes on and on. 

Yeah I mean this is basically where I'm at. I love MHJ, he's an absolute animal, but I'd say WR that high feels like a luxury even with how good he is. We just need OL or QB much more.

• Like 3