Week 5 GDT: Titans @ Colts

TitanLegend

14 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Yeah, Burks has to get and remain healthy. And he needs to be way more consistent when he’s on the field. But no way am I trading him four games into his 2nd year.

I mean, just imagine we prematurely trade him away then later this year or in year 3 he has a Brandon Aiyuk or Devante Adams type explosion on his new team. That’s nightmare fuel stuff.

Adams is far and away the exception, not the norm. Aiyuk has always been way better than Burks has ever shown

23 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

He might never be healthy. It’s borderline funny that J-Rob didn’t want to invest significant assets into an elite receiver because of nagging injury concerns and this was his solution.

1,000% jumping the gun though. In his extremely limited action, he’s shown he can make plays with the ball in his hands and can separate at a higher level than any receiver we’ve had in a decade besides AJ. Though he does actually need to be on the field and catch the ball in order to take advantage of it. Never sell low on a talented 23-year-old that doesn’t have character concerns.

idk man i’m not seeing the “making plays with the ball in his hands” *at all.* he was supposed to be this YAC monster and has provided almost none of that. when’s the last time he even broke a tackle after the catch? he’s also not been a particularly good separator thus far on anything but deep routes- which, to his credit, he’s been quite good at, but the production elsewhere has been extremely whatever even when he’s been on the field and caught the ball. the deep separation and jump ball skills were enough to tide me through an injury-plagued rookie year but this year when we were hoping for growth it’s just more of the same, plus a litany of drops.

• Like 1

And I totally get that it would theoretically be silly to trade Burks right now. But imo his return value is as high as it’ll be

theres just so clearly zero consistency there. A couple big plays get lost in what has become being constantly banged up and straight up disappearing from games. Rarely do you see a guy go from super inconsistent to a legit contributor esp in a #1 capacity. 

like if we were to get a third for him…I’d have as much faith in a 3rd round receiver to give us what he gives and more at this point. 

4 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

And I totally get that it would theoretically be silly to trade Burks right now. But imo his return value is as high as it’ll be

theres just so clearly zero consistency there. A couple big plays get lost in what has become being constantly banged up and straight up disappearing from games. Rarely do you see a guy go from super inconsistent to a legit contributor esp in a #1 capacity. 

like if we were to get a third for him…I’d have as much faith in a 3rd round receiver to give us what he gives and more at this point. 

This is pure emotional talk, that's the problem. Sucks that he's injured again, but you don't give up on a guy like Burks that fast.

9 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

This is pure emotional talk, that's the problem. Sucks that he's injured again, but you don't give up on a guy like Burks that fast.

He has appeared in 14 games for us. He’s had <30 yards in 8 of them. What’s emotional about that?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Adams is far and away the exception, not the norm. Aiyuk has always been way better than Burks has ever shown

adams' early career lack of production was also at least partially because he was WR3 behind two established guys in jordy nelson and randall cobb. burks has had every opportunity to seize the #1 role here and he's either been hurt or disappearing/dropping passes. two things can be true- that there's not much point in giving up on burks this quickly, and that right now there's very little reason to believe he'll turn things around here

• Like 1

I will say Burks not taking that next step thus far has to be my biggest disappointment so far this season.

Hopkins has been dependable and NWI/Chris Moore/Kyle Phillips is actually a formidable 3-5 group. We’re just missing that true #1 guy, which I was really hoping Burks would be for us this year. I’m still not writing him off, but he needs to be better and he needs to get healthy.

Edited by TitanSlim

The truly unfortunate aspect is neither Burks or Chig taking a step forward thus far. DHop is gonna catch everything we throw in his radius but obviously physically can't dominate like he used to. NWI is like a bargain bin DHop, reliable hands but routes aren't even in the same league. Moore is a nice speed option but that's about all he is.

If Chig or Burks could step in as a consistent threat our receiving corp would be more than passable. Still time yet, but less than ideal results from them so far.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

The truly unfortunate aspect is neither Burks or Chig taking a step forward thus far. DHop is gonna catch everything we throw in his radius but obviously physically can't dominate like he used to. NWI is like a bargain bin DHop, reliable hands but routes aren't even in the same league. Moore is a nice speed option but that's about all he is.

If Chig or Burks could step in as a consistent threat our receiving corp would be more than passable. Still time yet, but less than ideal results from them so far.

Out of the two, I thought Chig was gonna have a year this year and start to be the guy. Still time, but even he has came into this season lukewarm.

I know we're a ways off from this, and I doubt San Fran lets him hit Free Agency with the way he's been playing... But if Brandon Aiyuk somehow hits the market, he needs to be our top priority this offseason. He's one of the best young receivers in the league and still incredibly underrated IMO. He would absolutely be the answer to our WR1 woes. 

48 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

I know we're a ways off from this, and I doubt San Fran lets him hit Free Agency with the way he's been playing... But if Brandon Aiyuk somehow hits the market, he needs to be our top priority this offseason. He's one of the best young receivers in the league and still incredibly underrated IMO. He would absolutely be the answer to our WR1 woes. 

the 49ers picked up his 5th year option and he's only in year 4 this year. it's not possible for him to hit FA this offseason