Broncos release Randy Gregory

broncosfan_101

10 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Gregory was legitimately playing at an All-Pro level before his injury last year. The ability was always there. The motivation to do it for a sustained period was not. 

That does make the move a stronger one, though.   There's no questioning Gregory's physical abilities.   But you have to put the effort in.

It's easy to cut guys with marginal starter-level talent and some work ethic issues.    It speaks volumes if you do it to guys who have talent.   Don't get me wrong, I always prefer talent & ceiling, you can't just have high-character, low-skill guys (they will also fail, talent matters).    But if you want the culture to change quickly, getting rid of the low-effort guys, even very talented ones, that sends a message faster than any other move.  

Edited by Broncofan

We likely would have to eat some of the 10.9M salary left this year to get even a late round pick, but something to look out for.  I really don't think he'd be claimed outright on waivers, so a late Day 3 pick swap, but us getting some of the 2023 guaranteed money back (again, I don't see it close to 10M lol), makes sense.    We'll likely find out by tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 7:18 AM, Broncofan said:

We likely would have to eat some of the 10.9M salary left this year to get even a late round pick, but something to look out for.  I really don't think he'd be claimed outright on waivers, so a late Day 3 pick swap, but us getting some of the 2023 guaranteed money back (again, I don't see it close to 10M lol), makes sense.    We'll likely find out by tomorrow.

You are a wizard, sir. Will see on the money angle though

51 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Traded to the Niners. 

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

You are a wizard, sir. Will see on the money angle though

DEN moves up a few spots and gets 840K.   Better then nothing but it’s a minimal cost to SF.   Ensures another AFCW team doesn’t get him.   Really it’s about moving on.  The 840K and 5-10 pick move is just window dressing.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

DEN moves up a few spots and gets 840K.   Better then nothing but it’s a minimal cost to SF.   Ensures another AFCW team doesn’t get him.   Really it’s about moving on.  The 840K and 5-10 pick move is just window dressing.   

Something's better than nothing as they. We get what figures to be a late 6th in exchange for what figures to be an early 7th. But like you said, it's more about moving on and sending a message. I have a feeling Gregory is not the only high profile player we will bid a fond ado to in the next few months. I also expect Sean to really clean house come spring. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

So, what are the Salary Cap implications going forward ?

We clear 10.8M in cap space for next year assuming the 840k saved this year rolls over.  There’s a 6M dead cap hit but that was unavoidable - keeping him would have cost 16M so it was a no brainer we were moving on.  This just sends a message in parting ways early.  

• Like 1