Broncos release Randy Gregory

broncosfan_101

45 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I just said in the CHI-DEN thread how Gregory was a no-brainer cut in the offseason, guess the FO realized that it's better to send a message now.    Terrible signing but better to not get invested in the sunk cost now.

Sadly, we don't save any of the 14M salary - unless someone picks him up on waivers.   If they don't, then we're on the hook for all of 2023's salary.  Still, agree with the decision 100 percent. 

Edited by Broncofan

What a truly awful signing that was. I've never, ever seen a guy bark on the field as much as he does but play with such a low level of effectiveness. 

For you cap experts out there - is there any way of taking the deadcap for 2024 ($6.3m) this year if we have room for it? It's a deadcap of $16.1m for this year, so I imagine that already puts us in a bind for this year's cap.

18 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

What a truly awful signing that was. I've never, ever seen a guy bark on the field as much as he does but play with such a low level of effectiveness. 

For you cap experts out there - is there any way of taking the deadcap for 2024 ($6.3m) this year if we have room for it? It's a deadcap of $16.1m for this year, so I imagine that already puts us in a bind for this year's cap.

When you cut a guy after June 1st, the remaining dead cap money gets split half into 2023, half into 2024.   In-season, that number might tilt even more, but at worst, we're only on the hook for 3.1M+ this year, and 3.1M+ in 2024.   We'll be ok.

Edited by Broncofan

26 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Sadly, we don't save any of the 14M salary - unless someone picks him up on waivers.   If they don't, then we're on the hook for all of 2023's salary.  Still, agree with the decision 100 percent. 

We could get lucky, the Niners ($44m) and Browns ($35m) have the cap space to take a flier on him for the rest of the season. 

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

We could get lucky, the Niners ($44m) and Browns ($35m) have the cap space to take a flier on him for the rest of the season. 

Man, that would be a godsend.   The thing is, unless there's a competition for his services, a lot of teams will just gamble on waiting until after he clears waivers, then sign him at a much lower rate.  We would get any offset money they sign him to then, but obv it wouldn't be close to the 10.7M he's still due.  Still, one can always hope lol.

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Eh, in fairness I know a lot of us weren't really bothered by it at the time because of the ability to get out of it early (as we are) if he busted. Also the narrative at the time is he was a good athlete (George loves him some high RAS players) who wasn't on the football field, but when he was, he was quite good. He actually already had a deal to comeback with Dallas and backed out to come here. I guess I just don't see it as much of an awful move because of those factors. It would be like saying the Russ trade was, which I don't think was at the time. Now, the extension I could see argued...

Idk. A lot of people are hating on George right now but I think he's actually quite a good drafter, as that's been the bulk of his experience in the league. With Sean taking over the other stuff, I could see them actually working well together in a dynamic more like Lynch/Shanahan.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dbrog24 said:

Eh, in fairness I know a lot of us weren't really bothered by it at the time because of the ability to get out of it early (as we are) if he busted. Also the narrative at the time is he was a good athlete (George loves him some high RAS players) who wasn't on the football field, but when he was, he was quite good. He actually already had a deal to comeback with Dallas and backed out to come here. I guess I just don't see it as much of an awful move because of those factors. It would be like saying the Russ trade was, which I don't think was at the time. Now, the extension I could see argued...

Idk. A lot of people are hating on George right now but I think he's actually quite a good drafter, as that's been the bulk of his experience in the league. With Sean taking over the other stuff, I could see them actually working well together in a dynamic more like Lynch/Shanahan.

Agreed. This wasn’t a case of buying someone else’s garbage. The team he was on offered him essentially the same deal, and they knew him better than anyone. 

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Man.... that AFC West arms race last offseason really crashed. Gregory, JC Jackson, Chandler Jones all gone already. 

What happened with Gregory? Dallas pushed hard to keep him I recall. Injury or just didn't care after getting the bag?

First bolded was last season. Second bolded was this season 😄

Edit: I wonder what the over/under was on Gregory turning out to be the one who DIDN'T end up with a mugshot?  O_O

Edited by Dbrog24
  • Like 1