Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

NinerNation21

Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

So, I’d still like more data points, but Brock is currently 2nd in CPOE and 3rd in big time throw rate among regular starters. The main question for me and many entering into this year about whether Brock was a solid second contract starter (much less an elite one) was whether or not he could make more plays that other dudes couldn’t.

These metrics are somewhat volatile, but currently Brock’s statistical profile is just of a bad man that is doing things other guys can’t (with the caveat that Brandon Aiyuk’s season is definitely helping - even metrics that attempt to be context independent struggle to account for receivers not really being in the right place down the field in the case of big time throw rate or not having hands in the case of CPOE). That makes Brock a solid payable starter at the minimum unless some serious data rolls in otherwise. The real question is if the turnover rate can stay at this level or lower and if he can do the same with, say Deebo missing but with an offensive line that is roughly average. And that’s about all he needs to do to continue to confirming the elite category because while this is a good supporting cast with a nice and diverse group of weapons, it is also immensely cheap. This team isn’t paying two top wide receivers like most top teams - that money is instead spread among a top tight end and a top receiving running back. And while Aiyuk will get paid, I don’t think that they need Aiyuk and another top wide receiver to make things hum with Brock as long as they have a tight and and a receiving running back. At the same time, Brock is legit elevating some pretty bad and very cheap offensive line play.

Long story short, it’s difficult to evaluate anyone in Kyle Shanahan’s offense because he’s the man that got Jimmy G to ~8.2 ypa for his tenure here. But Brock Purdy is a good quarterback by the measures that we have available and there’s evidence that he might be more than that.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 4

Updated stats after the Eagles game...

3185 passing yards, 127 rushing yards, 23 TDs passing, 2 TDs rushing, 6 INTs, 2 lost fumbles

116 passer rating

70% cmpt %

Franchise record for passer rating over a full season is Steve Young in 1994 at 112.2.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 3

Brock is now on pace for:

• 4,510 yards
  • 33 passing TDs
  • 9 INTs
  • 4 rushing TDs

If his final season line was this, he'd own the 49ers single-season passing yards record by almost 300 yards and would be 3 TDs behind 1998 Steve Young for the single-season TD franchise record. 

So, if Purdy throws for over 4,500 yards and over 30 TDs to go along with leading the league in every meaningful efficiency stat, plus takes his team to the SB, does he win the MVP or at least is a finalist?

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's in his feels. 

I just listened to the ringer. He basically said that Purdy is playing with the greatest supporting cast of all time. 

Ah, picking and choosing the passing charts to care about. Raving over the excellent Spencer Burford and Colton McKivitz. Delightful. I can feel the cognitive dissonance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JIllg said:

Ah, picking and choosing the passing charts to care about. Raving over the excellent Spencer Burford and Colton McKivitz. Delightful. I can feel the cognitive dissonance.

Yeah, I thought it was a garbage post too lol 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's in his feels. 

I just listened to the ringer. He basically said that Purdy is playing with the greatest supporting cast of all time. 

https://x.com/minakimes/status/1730342442308923585?s=20

This was from last week and completely invalided his opinion on the matter. He said that Brock needs to get to his 2nd and 3rd read within the timing of the offense for him to change his opinion on Brock. That is pretty absurd considering the frequency this happens. 

Brock's processing and timing is what makes him good/great. I think it is more likely that Ruiz just does not understand what he is looking at. 

Criticize him all you want, but if your criticism is that he does not move through progressions within the timing and structure of the offense, then you are just grasping at straws. 

They are running out of things to criticize him for. 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, N4L said:

https://x.com/minakimes/status/1730342442308923585?s=20

This was from last week and completely invalided his opinion on the matter. He said that Brock needs to get to his 2nd and 3rd read within the timing of the offense for him to change his opinion on Brock. That is pretty absurd considering the frequency this happens. 

Brock's processing and timing is what makes him good/great. I think it is more likely that Ruiz just does not understand what he is looking at. 

Criticize him all you want, but if your criticism is that he does not move through progressions within the timing and structure of the offense, then you are just grasping at straws. 

They are running out of things to criticize him for. 

The odd thing, if he’s saying that Dak is going thru his progressions more, I would call BS. How many of the last few games have been heavily Lamb. I find it hard to believe that Lamb isn’t their first read?! At least with us, everyone is getting the ball regardless of progression. Can’t help it when you have one of the better OC/coaches who can make your first read wide open. Ppl will always hate/troll, they want the clicks.