Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

NinerNation21

Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

Brock is now on pace for 4,500 yards, 31 TDs / 9 INTs to go along with all of his efficiency metrics. Brock is a really good QB, period. 

When I think about "is this guy really good?" I always look at game production, film review, and stats. If all three of those things point me to the same conclusion, then I have my answer. 

Watching Brock live is a lot of fun because he's heads and shoulders better than anything we've had behind center since the 90's. When I watch the film, he looks even better because you can see his anticipation, IQ, vision, etc. And the stats back all of this up. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Brock is now on pace for 4,500 yards, 31 TDs / 9 INTs to go along with all of his efficiency metrics. Brock is a really good QB, period. 

When I think about "is this guy really good?" I always look at game production, film review, and stats. If all three of those things point me to the same conclusion, then I have my answer. 

Watching Brock live is a lot of fun because he's heads and shoulders better than anything we've had behind center since the 90's. When I watch the film, he looks even better because you can see his anticipation, IQ, vision, etc. And the stats back all of this up. 

The thing that kinda pisses me off the most about the critics is when they point to all weapons around Brock and use that as some kind of crutch as to why he is performing at the rate that he is.

Jimmy had these same weapons around him....for YEARS and at no point did he ever look this efficient and precise. This passing offense is reaching it's full potential because we have a QB that can now elevate it, not surpress it with horrid decision-making, piss-poor accuracy and an inability to throw outside the numbers.

Ayuik is having the impact that he's having because he finally has a QB that can push the ball down the field and highlight his ability, on the boundary. Guys like Deebo & Kittle thrived with Jimmy because of their presence in the short-passing game. Their ability out of the backfield to gain mismatches against LBs & safeties with YAC fed right into Jimmy's wheelhouse. But BA could never fully maximize his skillset with a QB like Jimmy because he was allergic to pushing the ball down the field and making defenses pay for commiting bodies to clogging the middle of the field.

You look at the type of targets and catches BA is getting and they speak to how Brock has changed the way teams have to defend our pass game. The rest of the league is very fortunate the kid doesn't have a bigger arm. It would be game over if Brock could afford to be 'late' and have his arm bail him out of trouble like a Mahomes or a Allen.

That's the only real thing that will prevent him from being top tier. His lack of arm strength means he has to be early alot and throw with anticipation. That means there will be times where he guesses wrong or the defense out-flanks him and he'll give a few to the other team. But it's something I'm willing to live with. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

is when they point to all weapons around Brock

I dismiss it instantly. All successful QBs have strong talent around them.

People still in strong doubt are either looking at draft status, arm power, or something more insidious that isn't to be talked about here. 

Let em yap. It matters not a bit.

• Like 2

Thus far, Brock Purdy ranks 1st in DVOA and DYAR. Only a few quarterbacks have achieved that milestone in the FO database (back to '81 profiled). It has happened in about half of the graded seasons (23 out of 42). Mahomes' 2018 campaign was the most recent. 

Patrick Mahomes
Matt Ryan
Carson Palmer
Peyton Manning (x6)
Tom Brady (x3)
Kurt Warner (x2)
Randall Cunningham
Steve Young (x2)
Mark Rypien
Joe Montana
Bernie Kosar
Dan Marino
Dan Fouts (x2)

6 minutes ago, GW21 said:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7wl7clz3eknq6n5x5yy

My thing is - he even has a giant chunk of places in his informal metric system that should force him to put Brock very highly. Accuracy, pocket presence, timing, and creativity exist on his list of metrics. They should form most of the grade. And he just gives Brock no credit for them. Missing the 70% completions in a timing offense and the lack of sacks behind a bad offensive line requires willful misrepresentation. But it is hard to admit that you are wrong, especially when it draws more attention to stay stuck in and then say "nah, nah told you so" after one data point goes your way.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JIllg said:

My thing is - he even has a giant chunk of places in his informal metric system that should force him to put Brock very highly. Accuracy, pocket presence, timing, and creativity exist on his list of metrics. They should form most of the grade. And he just gives Brock no credit for them. Missing the 70% completions in a timing offense and the lack of sacks behind a bad offensive line requires willful misrepresentation. But it is hard to admit that you are wrong, especially when it draws more attention to stay stuck in and then say "nah, nah told you so" after one data point goes your way.

Also, his lines about Purdy "forcing receivers to adjust too often" to me speaks to his absolute lack of understanding about how anticipation down the field works. Like, when you are letting that thing go that early it will not look as clean all of the time, but DOES require elite timing. Ah well. Another case where having a lightweight, stupid process gives someone unnecessary feelings of rigor and competence. D-K indeed.

• Like 2

The one real knock almost any reasonable metrics have on Brock is sort of the "degree of difficulty" knock. Both pff's passing grade and completion percentage over expected (CPOE) try to adjust for situation by throwing their weight behind making more difficult throws. When you play for Shanahan, it's just going to be harder to make these metrics happy because they will grade you as just making a bunch of pars all of the time even if you are part of the reason that the plays seem like pars. And even CPOE and pff grades rank Brock ~11th-12th behind the usual suspects. That position is fully defensible. Being behind Daniel Jones is supported by no metric except delusion.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Being behind Daniel Jones is supported by no metric except delusion.

That part.

It's just being an insufferable **** just so you don't have to say that maybe your eval was a bit short-sided.

It's why I'm glad I'm not on social media. I'd be clapping back at these hacks far too often, which would consume way too much of my time than it should.

• Like 2