Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

NinerNation21

Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

I love all the doubters. It’s not only gonna fuel Purdy but the rest of the team as well since they really back him so much. After he wins the superbowl mvp and everyone gives in that he’s great, then he’ll have even more confidence and won’t need that motivation next year. Will have the confidence, arm will be healthy for a full off-season, and will be in a contract year so he’ll win it all again next year. And the year after, since he’s a stand up guy he’ll want to prove he’s worth the mega contract he just got. So I just really see no way we don’t come away with the next three super bowls. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, straighthate said:

I love all the doubters. It’s not only gonna fuel Purdy but the rest of the team as well since they really back him so much. After he wins the superbowl mvp and everyone gives in that he’s great, then he’ll have even more confidence and won’t need that motivation next year. Will have the confidence, arm will be healthy for a full off-season, and will be in a contract year so he’ll win it all again next year. And the year after, since he’s a stand up guy he’ll want to prove he’s worth the mega contract he just got. So I just really see no way we don’t come away with the next three super bowls. 

Sold.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, straighthate said:

It's been written!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Popcorn. 

I tried, i made it to 5:24

Not coming from behind is a Shanahan thing.  The Shanahan 49ers have not come from behind at all, since he has been here.  It doesn't seem to matter as much as these guys say it does.

Check out the records of teams down by 10 or more in the 2nd half, they almost always lose. 

is Brock supposed to suck until the team is down so he can get a comeback and then these guys will like him?

13 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I tried, i made it to 5:24

Not coming from behind is a Shanahan thing.  The Shanahan 49ers have not come from behind at all, since he has been here.  It doesn't seem to matter as much as these guys say it does.

Check out the records of teams down by 10 or more in the 2nd half, they almost always lose. 

is Brock supposed to suck until the team is down so he can get a comeback and then these guys will like him?

This is another "Yeah, but" argument much like "Well, we haven't seen him make a bunch of tight window throws". Who cares? Why would he make life harder on himself? 

• Like 1

I can understand people who aren't niner fans and watch every play every week wanting to pause a little bit before calling him a top NFL qb. Its also possible that these shows thrive on conflict so its an argument that is for arguments sake. FWIW if that is the case I see that as more being Dan Orlovsky than Nick Wright but it is possible. The last part is time will determine who is correct. This isn't college football so is the direct numbers that matter, not the style points for the most part. And I don't think Brock really gives a damn about an MVP award, at least at this point.

11 hours ago, GW21 said:

This is another "Yeah, but" argument much like "Well, we haven't seen him make a bunch of tight window throws". Who cares? Why would he make life harder on himself? 

I think we have seen enough tight window throws to know.  You don't want tight throws against zone any-how.  Like who is that helping, why is that the goal.  He has a few sweet passes against man this year.  Not an overwhelming amount of spectacular throws, but amazing things are amazing because they are rare.  

It's not like we are sitting here wondering "How does he do it."   

It's quick feet, good reads, eye movement,  anticipation, and accuracy.  I don't think that is just a passing thing.  I am happy to have him lined up at QB for this team, and I trust him more than any QB since Young.  More than prime Kap, more than the best version of Jeff Garcia, and more than Jimmy G.  I just hope he stays healthy.  He needs all his levers to play at this level.  

22 hours ago, GW21 said:

This year Purdy has actually seen a big bump in tight window throws. He's actually about middle of the pack. He does still have a slightly higher rate of open and wide open throws, but it's not that big of a difference. Nick Wagoner had an excellent post about it:

@Forge & @Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 I’m not saying he is not making these throws or incapable of doing so if that was the impression you got. 

What I’m saying that these so called experts who are saying “he’s a product of the system” and essentially “just another average starter” are the same ones that are dinging him because he’s not making these tight window throws, big-time throws, whatever we want to call it; saying essentially that he’s not making flashy plays. He’s making the right reads and putting the ball where it needs to be which doesn’t seem to matter to the talking heads as much as it does to people like Gannon, Daniels, and JTO who actually played the position.

What I do find funny about Shannon being a part of the “Purdy is a system QB”, is that he specifically called out that he’s not Tua (who he said was elite), who is playing under McDaniel who came from this system. Sure his offense is different than what we are running, but he is also playing with a stacked cupboard with Tyreek, Waddle, and his RBs. 

The fact of the matter is that these opinions aren’t going to change until he’s had a full season under his belt and I’m sure even then there will be people out there that will never give his game the respect it deserves. 

There will also be these people that have these double standards of “well we haven’t seen him play outside of Shanahan’s system”. Duh. We did however see Tua play outside of McDaniel’s system and people were ready to call him a bust. 

What kills me is these double standards. That’s all. 

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

@Forge & @Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 I’m not saying he is not making these throws or incapable of doing so if that was the impression you got. 

What I’m saying that these so called experts who are saying “he’s a product of the system” and essentially “just another average starter” are the same ones that are dinging him because he’s not making these tight window throws, big-time throws, whatever we want to call it; saying essentially that he’s not making flashy plays. He’s making the right reads and putting the ball where it needs to be which doesn’t seem to matter to the talking heads as much as it does to people like Gannon, Daniels, and JTO who actually played the position.

What I do find funny about Shannon being a part of the “Purdy is a system QB”, is that he specifically called out that he’s not Tua (who he said was elite), who is playing under McDaniel who came from this system. Sure his offense is different than what we are running, but he is also playing with a stacked cupboard with Tyreek, Waddle, and his RBs. 

The fact of the matter is that these opinions aren’t going to change until he’s had a full season under his belt and I’m sure even then there will be people out there that will never give his game the respect it deserves. 

There will also be these people that have these double standards of “well we haven’t seen him play outside of Shanahan’s system”. Duh. We did however see Tua play outside of McDaniel’s system and people were ready to call him a bust. 

What kills me is these double standards. That’s all. 

Yesterday I heard someone say Purdy has never felt the rains in Africa, and until he does we don't know if he will  be as good as Todo, Weezer, or even Joe from Family Guy.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 1

The debate on if his receivers are open is dumb to me because look at the timing of his throws and how that affects it. He is not staring down guys who are open for 5 seconds. He’s throwing to guys before they are open like on that Aiyuk pass that’s been debated on here from the Dallas game. When you see where the receiver is when he starts his throw, these guys are not wide open often. But his anticipation is amazing. Look at the last TD to Kittle. He starts his throw and Kittle’s not even into his break. If he waits a little to see if Kittle gets open, maybe it’s too late. But he releases at the right time and Kittle’s wide open. Guys like Jimmy or Lance or most of the QBs in the NFL would have waited a bit longer and maybe it would have been a tight window throw at that point as someone switched over to Kittle. 

What’s elite is just his anticipation, ability to read the defense, etc. Of course guys seem more open if you always throw it at the right time. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Geek said:

Honest question. What would Brock need to win MVP? An undefeated record? Most passing yards?

He’s never gonna lead the league in passing if the teams always in front. They just don’t need to pass by the fourth quarter and isn’t gonna throw for 400 yards in a losing effort because they’re facing prevent defense in the 4th. So I think that hurts his chances, but I do think if he’s got 115ish QB rating and 35 to 40 TDs with single digit picks, not only will this team be the best in the nfl but he’ll earn an mvp.