Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

NinerNation21

Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

32 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

THIS version of Burrow or the one we saw the last two years? BOLD if you are still going with Purdy over that version. 

I've never really been that enamored with Burrow. 

Good QB but nothing about his game really made me take notice or caught my attention to the point I was like wow, that's different.

I think Brock and him are very similar but I like Brock's footwork and off-schedule ability more, all things being equall.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The brand is strong, I respect it lol.

I mean I know what some of the arguments folks will make for Fields but does anyone think this offense would be better with Fields in it? If the answer is no, then don't just say Purdy is a product of this system and practically anyone can come in and be just as successful. 

Purdy is the answer and he's going to be rightfully seen as a top 10 QB by year's end. His best traits are special and that's more impressive than any special physical trait

Ruiz has brought Purdy up from 25th to 22nd after the Cowboys performance!!! Mentioned questionable decision making LOL. 

Legitimately had three bad decisions vs the Giants and aside from that you can't even really think of any other bad decision. He's had off throws and inconsistent accuracy so if he wants to mention that, then that's fair. However, he didn't have any bad decisions vs Pittsburgh, Arizona or Dallas. The Rams game he missed three big throws but those weren't bad decisions. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Ruiz has brought Purdy up from 25th to 22nd after the Cowboys performance!!! Mentioned questionable decision making LOL. 

Legitimately had three bad decisions vs the Giants and aside from that you can't even really think of any other bad decision. He's had off throws and inconsistent accuracy so if he wants to mention that, then that's fair. However, he didn't have any bad decisions vs Pittsburgh, Arizona or Dallas. The Rams game he missed three big throws but those weren't bad decisions. 

Clearly his bad decision making is an issue, with his 0 interceptions and all.

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

Clearly his bad decision making is an issue, with his 0 interceptions and all.

The 0 INTs to me don't mean that much because you can have bad decisions where passes are not picked off. Just look at the Giants game as an example....The issue is that the Giants game is literally the only game you can point to Purdy having bad decision making and that only lasted one half. He was pretty much flawless in the 2nd half. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The 0 INTs to me don't mean that much because you can have bad decisions where passes are not picked off. Just look at the Giants game as an example....The issue is that the Giants game is literally the only game you can point to Purdy having bad decision making and that only lasted one half. He was pretty much flawless in the 2nd half. 

Yeah this is true, but even had the Giants capitalized on all three of his bad throws his TD-to-INT ratio would still be 3:1. I just feel like homeboy is just digging himself a bigger and bigger hole. 

Just now, GW21 said:

Yeah this is true, but even had the Giants capitalized on all three of his bad throws his TD-to-INT ratio would still be 3:1. I just feel like homeboy is just digging himself a bigger and bigger hole. 

It's also using PFF's stats on what they determine turnover worthy plays. Like they gave him one against the Cardinals on a mishandled snap. Now, Purdy DID have two legitimate TWPs against the Steelers on the fumbles but that does not have to do much with his decision making....Unless you think he just held on the ball too long and needed to get rid of it but every QB will have plays like that. 

Simply put, Purdy has not shown questionable decision making aside from one game. Anything else and you are grasping for straws and SEARCHING for certain plays as TWPs. 

All you need to know about Ruiz is that he tried to say Aiyuk being held in the end zone had nothing to do with the incompletion from Purdy against Arizona...Like how desperate are you at this point? Lol. 

Posted this in the general forum but another point that shows how delusional Ruiz is with his argument:

Lol, Steven Ruiz is hilarious. PFF has Purdy having FIVE total TWPs....Aka five turnover worthy PLAYS not passes. I don't think he understands what he is referencing. Purdy only has TWO turnover worthy PASSES. So why the hell would he compare Love/Howell having 12 combined INTs to Purdy having 0? I mean even if both those turnover worthy passes were caught...He would only have two INTs for the season.

His other three turnover worthy plays were on two fumbles against the Steelers (forced by Watt, lost one) and a fumbled snap vs the Cardinals. 

This was in response to Ruiz saying this:

I’ve given Purdy credit for the skills that help make him a fit in Shanahan’s offense. But I don’t want to overstate his ability in those categories. His accuracy is merely good, not great. His timing has improved this season, but he still has room for further development. His decision-making is still mediocre, but playing in Shanahan’s system helps mitigate that issue. That’s what I see on film, and there’s statistical evidence to back it up. His turnover-worthy throw rate—as charted by Pro Football Focus—is identical to those of Jordan Love and Sam Howell. Those two have thrown 12 interceptions combined; Purdy has yet to be picked off. His accuracy rate ranks a mediocre 16th, per PFF, where he finds himself as the meat in a Baker Mayfield–Justin Fields sandwich. The perception that Purdy is uniquely accurate and making great decisions isn’t backed by the metrics designed to track those things specifically, and it also doesn’t match what I see when I watch him play.

Dude really thought TWP stood for turnover worthy passes instead of turnover worth plays 😂.

From PFF's website:

TWP: Turnover Worthy Plays - a pass that has a high percentage chance to be intercepted or a poor job of taking care of the ball and fumbling

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Anyone who questions Purdy's timing and decision making is not worth my time.  The end.

He can say whatever he wants.  He could say Purdy is the worst QB in the league and I wouldn't care.  HIs opinion is less than meaningless, and it is not even his own opinion. It's probably just something he said, that people talked about, so he said it more.  Now people have heard of him.  I am done rewarding stupidity with attention.  It has to stop somewhere.  

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Anyone who questions Purdy's timing and decision making is not worth my time.  The end.

He can say whatever he wants.  He could say Purdy is the worst QB in the league and I wouldn't care.  HIs opinion is less than meaningless, and it is not even his own opinion. It's probably just something he said, that people talked about, so he said it more.  Now people have heard of him.  I am done rewarding stupidity with attention.  It has to stop somewhere.  

Good point. He may be doing it for the 'clicks', just like the Cohns. Quit giving them the attention they desire and they will have to have legitimate takes or become irrelevant. 

10 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Good point. He may be doing it for the 'clicks', just like the Cohns. Quit giving them the attention they desire and they will have to have legitimate takes or become irrelevant. 

Yeah, he can't possibly actually believe that Purdy's anticipation is just him guessing right over and over and over again for 500 throws.  I had never heard of Ruiz before this, and now I know him as the guy that hates Brock Purdy.  There is another guy on ESPN using this playbook too with Brock.  He is the dumb looking one with long hair.  Whatever

I have been watching Brock since college.  Every element of these plays is precise.  His foot placement, his timing, and his accuracy.  To say he is just guessing where to place his feet, then guessing when to throw, then guessing where to throw it, and it all just keeps working out for him is beyond absurd.  His reads are amazing and his anticipation is as good as I have seen.  

Pausing it on Purdy's throws is fun because of how early he sees and delivers the football.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Yeah, he can't possibly actually believe that Purdy's anticipation is just him guessing right over and over and over again for 500 throws.  I had never heard of Ruiz before this, and now I know him as the guy that hates Brock Purdy.  There is another guy on ESPN using this playbook too with Brock.  He is the dumb looking one with long hair.  Whatever

I have been watching Brock since college.  Every element of these plays is precise.  His foot placement, his timing, and his accuracy.  To say he is just guessing where to place his feet, then guessing when to throw, then guessing where to throw it, and it all just keeps working out for him is beyond absurd.  His reads are amazing and his anticipation is as good as I have seen.  

Pausing it on Purdy's throws is fun because of how early he sees and delivers the football.

That's Nick Wright. He has flat out said that he is reluctant to give Brock credit because of how much praise was given to Jimmy while he was here and how flat he has fallen on his face in Vegas.

4 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

That's Nick Wright. He has flat out said that he is reluctant to give Brock credit because of how much praise was given to Jimmy while he was here and how flat he has fallen on his face in Vegas.

I think the flak he gets is just silly.  It is mostly stuff that he has no control over, that are considered positives for QB's.

Like dumb hair guy is talking negatively about Brock's performance because of how well Jimmy G is playing in Las Vegas.  How are the two related at this point?  Do you think coaches are out there watching Jimmy G to learn about Brock Purdy? 

The other examples are:

His targets are open: Yeah, you want him to throw to the covered guy?

He has great players around him:  Yeah, you want him to play for a crap team instead?

The coaching is responsible:  While I feel this one is more true than most, it is universally true for the other QB's as well.  

He was drafted in the 7th round:  He didn't draft himself.

His throws are so early he is just guessing:  That is called anticipation, and he knows these plays beforehand and knows where the receiver is supposed to go.

I am sure there are others that I missed.  I am happy to have Brock at QB.  I feel like making the right reads, playing on time, and utilizing proper footwork are not flash in the pan skills.