Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

NinerNation21

Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

but why would Purdy take a chance on one of those when he has easier less risky options to take?

and yet, Purdy still will look at deeper (more risky/difficult) passes when we and he can see an underneath guy that is open. 

So yeah, this is usually a compliment to him, and should be, despite the general logic of taking the safe choice. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GW21 said:

This is one thing I don’t get; people are always going on about ‘big time throws’ and things of that nature, but why would Purdy take a chance on one of those when he has easier less risky options to take? IMO, thats just bad business.

The problem here is that it leaves out a substantial difference in what they do in the pocket. Sam Howell is a nightmare in the pocket right now. Won't get rid of the ball, takes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many sacks. His pressure to sack rate is the worst in the NFL among starters. He's either not seeing things as quickly as Purdy, not working the pocket as well, or he's just refusing to get rid of the ball 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

The problem here is that it leaves out a substantial difference in what they do in the pocket. Sam Howell is a nightmare in the pocket right now. Won't get rid of the ball, takes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many sacks. His pressure to sack rate is the worst in the NFL among starters. He's either not seeing things as quickly as Purdy, not working the pocket as well, or he's just refusing to get rid of the ball 

I can totally see that too. I guess what I don’t get, mostly is why should Purdy make things harder on himself trying to thread the ball into tight windows when he’s got open guys? It seems like flawed logic to me.

44 minutes ago, Forge said:

The truth is that the QB position is really hard to evaluate and sometimes the end result does not necessarily mean a QB is really good or really bad....But one thing has been made clear from former QBs that they value greatly footwork and the processing ability. That's something as fans or amateur evaluators that we don't always value as much as we should and clearly it matters a lot to them. 

If you are going to look at pure arm talent and the impressive throws? Purdy is never going to win that battle against these big armed QBs. Just never going to happen. But if you look at the types of throws Purdy is able to anticipate and how he's throwing to receivers that are not open but end up throwing them open, you will see just how good he is. Can't wait to see how he looks against the Browns and Ravens....Got through one test but those two defenses are fast and physical. I'm guessing he will come away looking just fine. 

• Like 3

Not that he is wrong as other former QBs have said and highlighted the same thing...But like he is also the one that just threw out Mac being just as good as Purdy if he was in SF....Like you just took a shot at Purdy and now are trying to bring it back a bit lol.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

Ruiz takes fields

The brand is strong, I respect it lol.

I mean I know what some of the arguments folks will make for Fields but does anyone think this offense would be better with Fields in it? If the answer is no, then don't just say Purdy is a product of this system and practically anyone can come in and be just as successful. 

Purdy is the answer and he's going to be rightfully seen as a top 10 QB by year's end. His best traits are special and that's more impressive than any special physical trait

• Like 2

Who would y'all take over Purdy at the moment? 

In no order - Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow, Allen, Hurts

Maybe - Stroud, Lawrence, Lamar, Tua, Cousins, Goff, Stafford

I'd see him as at worst a top 13 QB if you took all these guys over him. 

But, the way he's playing now, he belongs in that 1st tier & may be the best performing QB in 2023 

Edited by 49ersfan

21 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

But, the way he's playing now, he belongs in that 1st tier & may be the best performing QB in 2023 

Yes- Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Tua, Burrow
Depends on the coach/team, but not for us- Hurts, Lamar, Kirk, TLaw, Goff, Stroud, Geno, Stafford

Edited by jonnguy2015

20 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

At this moment, assuming this isn't all a figment of our collective imagination... Maybe Burrow? I don't think that Brock is better than many of those that you listed, but the fit is better. I genuinely don't think that Mahomes would be as good in our system as he is KC, I think he thrives when he is allowed to improvise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Not sure I'd take Hurts or Burrow over him if I'm being honest.

Right now...6:03 pm, EST on 10-10-2023??

Only guys I'm taking over Purdy are Mahomes, Herbert, Allen & Stroud. 

That's it...

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Not sure I'd take Hurts or Burrow over him if I'm being honest.

Right now...6:03 pm, EST on 10-10-2023??

Only guys I'm taking over Purdy are Mahomes, Herbert, Allen & Stroud. 

That's it...

THIS version of Burrow or the one we saw the last two years? BOLD if you are still going with Purdy over that version. 

Purdy was dealing. He made three big-time throws against Dallas, which matched his season total in five starts and two more relief outings as a rookie. In all games put together heading into Sunday Night Football, Purdy had only nine big-time throws, or a rate of 2.5%

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-brock-purdy-beginning-to-manufacture-own-success-san-francisco-49ers#:~:text=Purdy was dealing.,or a rate of 2.5%.

Paywall, but the point is that I guess with PFF he had his highest grade of his career in a game. Neato stat of the day. 

San Francisco quarterback Brock Purdy earned an 85.3 overall grade after another stellar performance in which he completed 17 of 24 pass attempts for 252 yards and a career-high four touchdowns.

The quarterback’s intermediate throws from 10 to 19 yards downfield continue to be his sweet spot. Purdy connected on 5 of 7 intermediate attempts for 105 yards and two touchdowns. Through five games, Purdy is now 27 of 31 for 490 yards, four touchdowns and a perfect 158.3 rating on those passes.

The second-year quarterback also completed both of his deep throws of 20 yards or more for 61 yards and one touchdown. Purdy now has completed five of his last six attempts at that distance since missing three deep passes in Week 2.

Purdy continues to be efficient while under pressure, completing 4 of 7 passes for 88 yards, two touchdowns and a 141.4 rating against the Cowboys.

https://sports.yahoo.com/pff-graded-brock-purdy-49ers-024245719.html