Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

NinerNation21

Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

11 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Well, I stand to eat much crap here, but a little adversity is good for character.  There are going to be up's and downs.  He just needs to play better in key moments.   His game wasn't horrible, we are just giving back all the breaks we got early in the season.

Your not alone in that boat. Brock wasn't the reason they lost last night but he didn't do enough to overcome other deficiencies. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Forge said:

Niner Twitter is so sensitive about Brock Purdy it's hilarious. 

In a week he didn't even play, I'm seeing people like so insecure about  the love that Stroud is getting while also comparing Purdy to Josh Allen.

Ignorance really can be bliss. How? Keep yourself free of all social media. This forum is as social as I get online. Which might explain some things...😏

• Like 6

Purdy is saving this o line from looking pathetic in the eyes of the casual fan by having one of the lowest pressure to sack ratios in the NFL. His fast decision making, anticipation and ability to buy time is saving them. He has extremely high EPA despite this putrid o line. BTW, these charts even take into account the 5 games that Trent Williams played. Imagine how awful this o line was last 2.5 games without Trent...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Im not disputing the information, but I don't know what the hell it means.  

Like the Dolphins have a 72ish PFF score but a below average win rate.  What is win-rate, and how does it turn into a graph with the other thing I don't really understand. 

For offensive line, win rate is classified by holding their block for 2.5 seconds.

For the niners, they are able to sustain their blocks about 51% of the time which is 22nd in the league. But through like the first five weeks of if the season, Purdys time to throw was like 2.4 seconds, so it wasn't hugely impactful regardless. 

They tend to be in the bottom half of the league in this metric. Last year they were 59%, but the league as a whole was better at pass block. 59% was only good for 21st. 

In 21, that was their best season, they were 15th at 61%. In 20, we were 22nd (54%), in 2019 we were 26th. 

The pff portion of that is just the pff grade for the line, which means absolutely squaddoosh. I mean, the humor of using pff grades on the offensive line to show how bad it is and how much Purdy is doing in spite of it while pff grades also indicate that Purdy is a below average starting QB is pretty thick

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

For offensive line, win rate is classified by holding their block for 2.5 seconds.

For the niners, they are able to sustain their blocks about 51% of the time which is 22nd in the league. But through like the first five weeks of if the season, Purdys time to throw was like 2.4 seconds, so it wasn't hugely impactful regardless. 

They tend to be in the bottom half of the league in this metric. Last year they were 59%, but the league as a whole was better at pass block. 59% was only good for 21st. 

In 21, that was their best season, they were 15th at 61%. In 20, we were 22nd (54%), in 2019 we were 26th. 

The pff portion of that is just the pff grade for the line, which means absolutely squaddoosh. I mean, the humor of using pff grades on the offensive line to show how bad it is and how much Purdy is doing in spite of it while pff grades also indicate that Purdy is a below average starting QB is pretty thick

Thanks, offensive line stats are hard.

I think it mostly bears out what he is saying though, Brock Purdy has done well at dealing with quick pressures up to this point.  He get the ball out earlier than most QB's, but his ability to keep his feet under him is very important to the offense.  I hope the offensive line can pick back up run blocking.  There is no excuse for a unit that is bad at both.  They need to be good in space blockers that may play at a 55-60 win rate, or better at pass blocking.  I think they will get better as the season progresses.  It seems like a unit they just don't effectively invest assets.  Feliciano is a good 6th, but I am not sure he is any different than the three right side starters, who are all pretty consistently just below average.  

Offensive linemen are hard to find nowadays.  Too bad we can't plant five coaches in college to act as feeder programs.  

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

The one that really matters to me is the pressure to sack rate, which I maintain is one of the most important stats for a QB. Sacks are a QB stat just as much as an offensive line stat. Purdy is legit there. 

Yeah, as long as the QB has targets and coaches that understand hot routes I agree it is a QB stat.  

There are certain teams and certain years where this is a coaching stat, but those are usually bad teams.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

What gets lost in the, "is he actually good" conversation is the fact that he's flat out getting better almost completely across the board. He's a better QB this year than last, point blank

The last box for him to check is performing well in crunch time. So far he has failed that test but if you noticed yesterday, it was pretty much a pass heavy start early on and Kyle is giving him more and more trust. We only really started to run the game after getting a big lead. I thought Kyle was too committed to the run at times against Minnesota and Cincy and he needed to just let Purdy go as that was our best offense. 

Once Purdy shows he can get it done in the clutch...He's going to be in the top 10 convos in no time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The last box for him to check is performing well in crunch time. So far he has failed that test but if you noticed yesterday, it was pretty much a pass heavy start early on and Kyle is giving him more and more trust. We only really started to run the game after getting a big lead. I thought Kyle was too committed to the run at times against Minnesota and Cincy and he needed to just let Purdy go as that was our best offense. 

Once Purdy shows he can get it done in the clutch...He's going to be in the top 10 convos in no time. 

He HAS to make better decisions in those moments to really gain Shanny's complete confidence.

He has to be sharper when we're trailing and defenses know we need yards via the pass.

I feel like he's been steady in all other scenarios.