Week 5 GDT: [MNF] McRaiders v Packers - The one where we need to smarten up

big_palooka

How hot is that seat getting?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How do we feel about the McRaiders this week?

• Raiders rally, get a much needed win at "home"
    • Raiders come in unprepared and it's another nail in the coffin?
    • Just tank baby?

Just now, BackinBlack said:

just to call the entirity of the season lucky is absurd. 
losing your coach and young WR, who literally changed our Offense. definitely offsets some of the lucky breaks we had. 
yes we faced teams with covid, we had guys with covid too. 

To say we were terrible all year, is also absurd, we were 5-2 with ruggs, putting up 30+ points in 5 of thsoe games to I believe. 

sneaking into the playoffs sure we got lucky, but that season all things considered was not lucky lol.

I didn't call it entirely lucky. They had some lucky breaks along the way. In almost any year, they are not a playoff team. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I didn't call it entirely lucky. They had some lucky breaks along the way. In almost any year, they are not a playoff team. 

ah sorry, just realized I first responded to another posted who called it the luckiest season ever. 
MY B. 
I do agree they had lucky breaks / just going 4/4 in playoffs alone is crazy.
ruggs was the closest thing to a Hill jr in the league, nowhere close to same level, but jsut his speed was scary and backed Ds up. His loss to the team was massive. 

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Back to the Packers. 

Bears showed last night, you can be down and out with the building on fire and still pull out a win.

Packers are a beatable team. Will the Raiders wake up the same way?

I think Jacobs plays well. 
Havent watched any packers game yet this year outside of redzone from time to time, so not gonna pretend i know them in and out, but this really is a season defining game. 
Do the players want to compete for that 7th spot or not

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Back to the Packers. 

Bears showed last night, you can be down and out with the building on fire and still pull out a win.

Depends on the level of mutiny going on behind the scenes. 

I don't know if the Bears have any well-respected players in the locker room that are clearly irked with the direction of the team just yet, or how they feel about Eberflus. Do the Bears suck or are they quiet quitting? 

We've heard the rumblings here. Not entirely dissimilar to how the players more or less quit on Gruden, I could see us quitting on McDaniels. It's hard to watch, because the proven talent we have on the roster is clearly obviously better than the sum total being put out on the field.

An offense with Josh Jacobs, Davante Adams, Jacoby Meyers, and Hunter Renfrow should at least look somewhat capable even with a bunch of Helen Kellers making up the OL and Steven Hawking at QB. I don't think Jimmy is a great QB by any means, but he looks like he's not really even a good backup level QB right now, and I fail to believe he's gotten THAT bad. Him not being great doesn't mean he's trash, but boy he looks like trash out there. There's gotta be something going on we're just not privy to yet for us to be as bad on offense as we've been, and I just cannot fathom it being a raw talent level issue. With half of our offense being undeniably good at their jobs, and at least some of the OL being decent, I'd expect a middle of the pack offense at least but we're nowhere even close to it yet. 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

To think Bisaccia and that group could have ran it back would be misguided. They were -68 in point differential and made the playoffs. They won a lot of games in the final minutes, which usually tends to return to the mean the following year. Look at the Vikings this year. 

Bisaccia lost me when they took two butt whoppings from the Chiefs and he kicked a FG down 35 in one of them. 

He was a steady hand, deserved all the credit in the world navigating that turmoil but I don't think he was long for success as a HC. Hindsight, should have gave him 2022 to see what they could do. But that would have meant keeping Mayock who destroyed the roster with terrible picks.

They would be a lot better than this team. He say what you will about him but his team never look unorganized or undisciplined.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I disagree. No team with a -68 point differential deserves to make the playoffs. And they were gifted an easy in due to covid protocols. They narrowly beat the Browns (16-14) who were forced to start 3rd string QB Nick Mullins as an example among other starters out. They had like 20+ players who tested positive. 

Josh Jacobs began a stretch of elite play that extended into last season at the end of that season. That was the difference. Carr played terrible and that should have been a pre-cursor to his 2022 season honestly. He had 5 TDs, 4 INTs and fumbled 4 times, losing 2. 6 total turnovers in the 4 must win games to get into the playoff. He did make plays when he had to though.

Then we’ll agree to disagree. The team overcame so much and absolutely deserved to go to the playoffs, most teams would have crumbled in those circumstances. Credit where credit is due for me.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Back to the Packers. 

I don't want them to. Unless we can compete in the west a couple of struggling wins are meaningless. We need a franchise QB and we aren't gonna play AOC anyways. The coach sucks and is trying to stay afloat. I don't see any positives outside of tanking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

An offense with Josh Jacobs, Davante Adams, Jacoby Meyers, and Hunter Renfrow should at least look somewhat capable even with a bunch of Helen Kellers making up the OL and Steven Hawking at QB. I don't think Jimmy is a great QB by any means, but he looks like he's not really even a good backup level QB right now, and I fail to believe he's gotten THAT bad. Him not being great doesn't mean he's trash, but boy he looks like trash out there. There's gotta be something going on we're just not privy to yet for us to be as bad on offense as we've been, and I just cannot fathom it being a raw talent level issue. With half of our offense being undeniably good at their jobs, and at least some of the OL being decent, I'd expect a middle of the pack offense at least but we're nowhere even close to it yet. 

This is what puzzles me too. Half the offence is great, we know that Garoppolo is a capable starter who lead the 49ers to a Super Bowl and our HC does know offence, so what is going wrong??

Good coaching makes a team greater than the sum of its parts but this team, particularly the offence which is where all the resources have been plied is nowhere close to the sum of its parts. There’s some type of disconnect somewhere as you say, Garoppolo is not as bad as he’s playing and things he’s dove well all his career he’s not not doing. I don’t believe it is talent level. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

This is what puzzles me too. Half the offence is great, we know that Garoppolo is a capable starter who lead the 49ers to a Super Bowl and our HC does know offence, so what is going wrong??

Good coaching makes a team greater than the sum of its parts but this team, particularly the offence which is where all the resources have been plied is nowhere close to the sum of its parts. There’s some type of disconnect somewhere as you say, Garoppolo is not as bad as he’s playing and things he’s dove well all his career he’s not not doing. I don’t believe it is talent level. 

Capable is generous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Capable is generous.

Well, it’s kind of the issue isnt it? He was very capable in San Francisco, took them to the Super Bowl and whilst you can’t put that on him, he certainly was a part of the success. Then he gets here, supposedly in a system that plays to his strengths and he looks like a bum. Now, I don’t think he’s a great QB at all, but I think he’s better than what he’s showing…….. the mystery is why he’s looking so bad and why did Carr look worse than we know he is too?

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Well, it’s kind of the issue isnt it? He was very capable in San Francisco, took them to the Super Bowl and whilst you can’t put that on him, he certainly was a part of the success. Then he gets here, supposedly in a system that plays to his strengths and he looks like a bum. Now, I don’t think he’s a great QB at all, but I think he’s better than what he’s showing…….. the mystery is why he’s looking so bad and why did Carr look worse than we know he is too?

He was never very good to begin with. He barely threw the ball in those playoff runs and struggled to throw down the field then too.

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

"Led" them to the playoffs is the wrong word. He led them in the same manner as their right tackle led them to the playoffs. "Was a starter during the run to the Superbowl" would be more accurate. He almost lost them as many games as he helped. 

I watched almost everyone of their games and we're seeing how exactly how he played on the Niners. Super conservative, lots of check downs, does nothing exciting or high level, with some mistakes sprinkled into the game. That's all he's ever contributed to any football team. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

"Led" them to the playoffs is the wrong word. He led them in the same manner as their right tackle led them to the playoffs. "Was a starter during the run to the Superbowl" would be more accurate. He almost lost them as many games as he helped. 

I watched almost everyone of their games and we're seeing how exactly how he played on the Niners. Super conservative, lots of check downs, does nothing exciting or high level, with some mistakes sprinkled into the game. That's all he's ever contributed to any football team. 

Yeh, you’re right, led is probably too grandiose a word 😁

He was an active participant in their run 👍🏼

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Flip side, no Adams and Mayock likely throws those picks into the fire with the rest of his. 

Won’t argue the Mayock part.....at all. But the adams trade?.......maybe, but only maybe based on carr and DAs love of the raiders. But mayock? Extremely disappointed can’t even cover it. SMH x 100!!