Let's talk Bryce Young

notthatbluestuff

20 minutes ago, 43M said:

Bryce has a full season on Bo, on top of an additional training camp and offseason of preparation and training.

More than that, Bo was a massive reach that most people felt needed work in the NFL.  Bryce was widely considered a special talent that was largely pro ready, and was almost a consensus top pick amomg "experts".

If Bo is worse, its not by much.....and factoring in those other facts, its so much worse for Bryce and the Panthers, especially considering they gave up multiple firsts to get him.

This.

Bo sucks and it was so easy to see he'd bust. But in two games he still has shown more promise than Young, IMO.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Towerbridge said:

He's 5-10...same height as Russell 

Russell had a thicker frame at least and was also more athletic.

EDIT: To add to that.. huge difference taking a chance on a dude like Wilson in round three and, not only drafting Young with the first pick, but trading up for him.

Edited by DawgX
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

EDIT: To add to that.. huge difference taking a chance on a dude like Wilson in round three and, not only drafting Young with the first pick, but trading up for him.

Wilson also never should have been seen as a prototype. 

He got carried by the D and Lynch owning people. As soon as those wells dried up, he was painfully average and his long-apparent drawbacks like unnecessary sacks became undeniable. 

A dominant D and run game can mask a lot. Trying to replicate Wilson was always a sucker bet. 

36 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Wilson also never should have been seen as a prototype. 

He got carried by the D and Lynch owning people. As soon as those wells dried up, he was painfully average and his long-apparent drawbacks like unnecessary sacks became undeniable. 

A dominant D and run game can mask a lot. Trying to replicate Wilson was always a sucker bet. 

To be fair, Wilson was really good after Lynch and that defense, though. From like '17-20 in that four year span he threw for like 140 TDs and 36 INTs with not the greatest offensive line and other talent around him.

I think Wilson is like one of the best QBs ever at improvising and scrambling while not taking big hits. Wilson is also not afraid to throw the ball down field. Young has a mediocre arm, doesn't use his legs enough, and doesn't throw the ball downfield.  

• Like 3

I actually feel bad for Young.  You can tell he's frustrated with the losing and his own poor play, but at the same time what more can you ask of him?  Look at what they are giving him to work with.  Now I don't think he'll ever be better than Stroud, but I do think he could have a respectable NFL career if he gets the hell out of Carolina.

1 minute ago, Raves said:

I actually feel bad for Young.  You can tell he's frustrated with the losing and his own poor play, but at the same time what more can you ask of him?  Look at what they are giving him to work with.  Now I don't think he'll ever be better than Stroud, but I do think he could have a respectable NFL career if he gets the hell out of Carolina.

That's great and all, but even when he has time and the easy throw is there he's missing on those throws.

20 minutes ago, warfelg said:

That's great and all, but even when he has time and the easy throw is there he's missing on those throws.

I'm not arguing that.  His play has obviously been way down than what we saw at Alabama and the reason for that can be too many to count.  Even though it's super early on, I just don't think he'll ever be the QB many thought he could be with the Panthers.  I think he might've already developed PTSD with them and will struggle regardless.  His only chance is on another team, sort of like Sam Darnold finally looking good on a team that's got pieces and is willing to give him a chance, but I'm not sure if there is anything Carolina can do outside of a whole new coaching staff meant to bring comfort?

Bring in his Alabama OC, maybe bring in Saban as some kind of FO advisor role meant to help bring Young some support.  Who knows.

5 minutes ago, Raves said:

I'm not arguing that.  His play has obviously been way down than what we saw at Alabama and the reason for that can be too many to count.  Even though it's super early on, I just don't think he'll ever be the QB many thought he could be with the Panthers.  I think he might've already developed PTSD with them and will struggle regardless.  His only chance is on another team, sort of like Sam Darnold finally looking good on a team that's got pieces and is willing to give him a chance, but I'm not sure if there is anything Carolina can do outside of a whole new coaching staff meant to bring comfort?

Sam Darnold never looked as bad as Bryce does now.  

There is too much wrong with Bryce to be fixed.  His footwork is terrible.  He's incapable of escaping the pocket and keeping his eyes downfield, which was supposed to be his best trait coming out of Alabama.  His accuracy is nonexistent.  He's not even as accurate as Anthony Richardson, and that's sad.  

Daniel Jones has been in a crappy situation for years and yet has still shown a lot more than Bryce.  Could you imagine Bryce throwing 24 TDs in a season?  Hell no.  He's thrown for 3 TDs since Week 9 last year.  And while the team as a whole sucks, it isn't like Diontae, Legette, and Thielen are straight bums.  Bryce doesn't even give them a chance.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, DawgX said:

Kyler Murray is also the exact same size as Bryce (5'10 204lbs vs 5'10 207lbs) and this was the same thing that was said constantly about him before the draft too.

Size does matter, but it is pretty overrated and can be overcome if you have the tools to. Thing is, Bryce Young doesn't look to have those tools, or even the tools to succeed if he were 6'4, 240lbs.

8 hours ago, showtime said:

To be fair, Wilson was really good after Lynch and that defense, though. From like '17-20 in that four year span he threw for like 140 TDs and 36 INTs with not the greatest offensive line and other talent around him.

I think Wilson is like one of the best QBs ever at improvising and scrambling while not taking big hits. Wilson is also not afraid to throw the ball down field. Young has a mediocre arm, doesn't use his legs enough, and doesn't throw the ball downfield.  

Sure, but we're also not talking a 1:1 comparison. 

Russell Wilson was still statistically good, but year by year his aura diminished to the point the Seahawks were willing to cut ties with him while, ostensibly, still in his prime as a QB. 

Go back to pre-2017 and point out that Wilson takes a lot of unnecessary sacks and often leaves his offense and/or defense in relatively tough spots when his heroics don't work. People would throw a fit. He did, and always has, the difference post-2016 was that the ingredients that offset it were chipping away and hero ball wasn't working as often or as consistently. 

There were too many external reasons Russell Wilson worked out as well as he did to make it a worthwhile endeavor to seek a 2.0 version. That's not to say he was trash, but sometimes you have to recognize when someone is just lightning in a bottle and not a blueprint. To me, Wilson had a lot of flaws in his game that made his success lightning in a bottle. I wouldn't have sought Wilson 2.0 and any tine a comparison was made that someone was "similar to Russell Wilson" in size and skillset, I was quick to say "Yeah, that won't work". And sure enough...it really hasn't. 

• Like 1