The Week 7 Thread: Where a coach kicked an FF member's dog. Maybe knee it instead.

MikeT14

Just now, MWil23 said:

If Penix was 22 and didn’t have a horrific injury history, he’s the best quarterback prospect in the draft.

But he's going to be 24 and he does have injury history.  He's this year's Hendon Hooker.  Hopefully he doesn't have a season-ending injury late.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Maye hasn't been good this year.  Caleb Williams would need to pretty much fall off the face of the earth to not be the #1 pick.

He had an up and down first 4 games, but he absolutely dominated last week and has been really good tonight (though did miss a couple throws). If he keeps up how he's played the last 2 weeks, there's no reason to think he can't close the gap.

However, I feel like any fan base would turn on him instantly if he was picked over Caleb.

5 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

People probably shouldn't put this game on Caleb too much. Literally everyone on USC looks like trash. His receivers are dropping passes and fumbling, his line is garbage, no run game and ND is getting incredible pressure with 4 every play.

I mean, he threw 3 INTs and if I'm not mistaken, they were all bad passes

5 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

People probably shouldn't put this game on Caleb too much. Literally everyone on USC looks like trash. His receivers are dropping passes and fumbling, his line is garbage, no run game and ND is getting incredible pressure with 4 every play.

Lincoln Riley always has at least 1 clunker of a game (last year vs. Utah in the Pac-12 championship, 2021 against Baylor, 2020 against Kansas State, etc.).  This is hopefully their only clunker, but they've got a gauntlet with Utah next week and then Washington and Oregon in back-to-back weeks.  They could end up losing 3 of their next 4 games, and I don't think I'd be surprised.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

So this probably ends USC playoff chances right? Don't really see them making it with a loss

I think if they win-out, they should still be in but they'll need some help along the way.  Right now, I think you've got Georgia (SEC), Florida State (ACC), Oklahoma/Texas (Big 12), and Michigan/Ohio State/Penn State (Big 10) as 3 likely participants.  If they can win out, they'll get quality wins versus Utah, Washington, and Oregon.  But I don't think they're going to win out.

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I mean, he threw 3 INTs and if I'm not mistaken, they were all bad passes

Not inaccurate. One was tipped at the line but still.

He was scrambling and under pressure on every play. Drops and fumbles when they were caught. When he scrambled there were always 2 or 3 guys that he'd turn in to; there was nowhere to run.

Caleb didn't play well at all, but his supporting cast was miserable.