We Can Still Crack the Top Ten

MacReady

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Very conflicted about what my mindset should be for the rest of this year. Would absolutely love to add Fashanu or Alt to this OL room, but you're going to need probably a top 5-8 pick to do that.

With this schedule, I see no way that Love progresses and we end up with a pick in that range. Be different if we had the Niners, Eagles, Bills coming up. From now until seasons end the Chiefs and Lions are really the only two games I could say, we could play really good ball and still lose. The rest are wins if we play well. To get a top pick, Love ain't the guy, and I'm certainly not rooting for that.

So I'm going to keep hoping for progression and wins.

There is also Alabama OT J.C. Latham as a pick, who some prefer to Alt. He might be a better run blocker, though he isn't 6'8", like Alt is, Latham is listed as 6'6", 326.

40 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

There is also Alabama OT J.C. Latham as a pick, who some prefer to Alt. He might be a better run blocker, though he isn't 6'8", like Alt is, Latham is listed as 6'6", 326.

Very familiar with Latham, went to HS in Waukesha before transferring to IMG. Bama has him at 360 right now, think he'll be red flagged on our board until the Combine, and if he's still 360, don't think he makes our board. They'll take a gamble on a UDFA like Jones that he can lose the weight, but not a 1st rounder. He needs to weigh in at 330-340 in Feb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Very conflicted about what my mindset should be for the rest of this year. Would absolutely love to add Fashanu or Alt to this OL room, but you're going to need probably a top 5-8 pick to do that.

With this schedule, I see no way that Love progresses and we end up with a pick in that range. Be different if we had the Niners, Eagles, Bills coming up. From now until seasons end the Chiefs and Lions are really the only two games I could say, we could play really good ball and still lose. The rest are wins if we play well. To get a top pick, Love ain't the guy, and I'm certainly not rooting for that.

So I'm going to keep hoping for progression and wins.

I'm in the same mindset. Worst would be to to finish 8-9 or 9-8 and miss the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

WE need: 

2 - O lineman minimum

2 - safeties

1 - run stuffing NT

1 - slot CB

2 - RBs

1 - deep threat. 

Thinking three of those can come via free agency. The RB's can come round 4-7. 

How's our offense working right now with no threat at RB? Old outdated thinking to just toss late picks at the position.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

2 - RBs

Thinking three of those can come via free agency. The RB's can come round 4-7. 

So just for the sake of debate, do you plan on getting rid of both Jones and Dillon?

Aaron Jones would have a $17M cap hit next year, $12M dead cap. If he plays next year, he'll have a $6.6M dead cap in 2025. You MIGHT be able to get his contract number down a few million to $13-14M.

Dillon, on the other hand, has had a rough year. Let's say he signs a Jamal Williams type of deal in the offseason, $4M/year

Honestly, I'm not sure I get rid of either. Cutting Jones to save a few million feels dumb. And I'm not sure how much I'm going to upgrade Dillon at that price range. 

I know i posed this question in a different thread, but i'm curious to hear peoples thoughts. RB seems to be a weird spot where you don't want to let both of your guys go, but you also don't want to spend a high draft pick replacing guys, especially if the goal is to fix the OLine first.

6 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

So just for the sake of debate, do you plan on getting rid of both Jones and Dillon?

Aaron Jones would have a $17M cap hit next year, $12M dead cap. If he plays next year, he'll have a $6.6M dead cap in 2025. You MIGHT be able to get his contract number down a few million to $13-14M.

Dillon, on the other hand, has had a rough year. Let's say he signs a Jamal Williams type of deal in the offseason, $4M/year

Honestly, I'm not sure I get rid of either. Cutting Jones to save a few million feels dumb. And I'm not sure how much I'm going to upgrade Dillon at that price range. 

I know i posed this question in a different thread, but i'm curious to hear peoples thoughts. RB seems to be a weird spot where you don't want to let both of your guys go, but you also don't want to spend a high draft pick replacing guys, especially if the goal is to fix the OLine first.

No, I'd like to work out something to keep Jones. Dillon is gone. You need three guys who can play. You are going to have injuries, so you need two besides Jones to keep things moving forward if somebody gets hurt. 

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

No, I'd like to work out something to keep Jones. Dillon is gone. You need three guys who can play. You are going to have injuries, so you need two besides Jones to keep things moving forward if somebody gets hurt. 

I think this is the reasonable answer. Jones has limited leverage at 30 years old, so maybe you can get his base salary down from $11M to $6-7M.

• Like 1

I actually see RB as a decent FA proposition. Draft a guy in rounds two-four, and then figure out what the FA pool looks like. Swift/ Pollard/Jones seem comparable, hell what if we sold out for Henry? Jones and Henry for Bahk and some change (18- 21 million) doesn't seem that unpalatable honestly. 

Edited by oldmansmell