We Can Still Crack the Top Ten

MacReady

32 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I've always thought of the O-line as the heart of the offense. Although the comparison is not perfect, I think the O-line is like a chain. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Right now we have like three weak links. As much as I would like DeJean, he is a want not a need. We have three big needs on the O-line. Must maintain discipline and draft O-linemen. Ideally, we should move Tom to center where he could maybe develop to an all-pro, rather than an above average T. That means we need a G and two Ts. This is supposed to be a great year for Ts. Let's go #1 and #2 on Ts in the draft, with maybe a G in round 4. Then draft a bunch of Ss and RBs and see where we are. 

P.S. You're one of my favorite posters. Keep 'em coming!

You have a really low bar for "favorite posters"  !!  :)

I agree about the line.  We've had a great tradition of having a great OL.  Not any more.

I disagree about Tom, though.  I think he's a LT.  A plus LT.  But....I'd have his second best spot as center.

I'm thinking that we need to move Tom to LT.  Draft a RT.  Find a mauling guard in free agency.  Draft a center.  Draft a guard mid to late.

We have the shiny things at WR and TE.  We do need a RB, so I'd grab one in FA while drafting another one late.

But...in regards to DeJean...he's a playmaking secondary player.  If I can't have a top tackle with where we are picking, I'm certainly looking at someone like DeJean.  

• Like 2

I don't think the situation on the ol is so completely dire. The big problem is not having a viable Bakh up plan at LT. If you firm up that spot, the rest become things you can work with. It would be nice to have 5 high end OL and quality backups but it's not a realistic expectation. One guy in the first half of the draft, one in the second, and a Billy Turner level vet, I think we are fine.

I don't want to write off a LT in the first, but I'm also not dead set on one. A star FS would also be a great find, and I'd consider other positions top of there are special prospects.

47 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I don't think the situation on the ol is so completely dire. The big problem is not having a viable Bakh up plan at LT. If you firm up that spot, the rest become things you can work with. It would be nice to have 5 high end OL and quality backups but it's not a realistic expectation. One guy in the first half of the draft, one in the second, and a Billy Turner level vet, I think we are fine.

I don't want to write off a LT in the first, but I'm also not dead set on one. A star FS would also be a great find, and I'd consider other positions top of there are special prospects.

I will admit a truly elite FS who can play the Center Field role would be among the biggest check marks on the bucket list- going into this season I thought it was the biggest wish on said list myself. I'm just not sure there's someone like that with a first round grade in this or future draft pools. By contrast, I'm fairly sure there will be at least one or two high-rated LT prospects available by our selection, so I'm more comfortable penciling in LT as the top priority, and penciling in other positions as a 'only if a BIG one comes around' sort of alternate.

7 hours ago, pgwingman said:

To be fair, we probably need a first round and mid round infusion of OL into this team. I'd argue 3/5 of this line could be turned over next season.

I agree, and at the same time, I disagree.  I think we could turn over 3 positions, but I want to wait and see what the climate is like when that decision has to be made.  I am guessing that Bakhtiari is gone.  Jenkins and Tom will stay.  Then we get into the real mix of things.

I am not 100% against paying Runyan, it just has to be the right price.  

I also think that dedicating 3 picks to the OL is really testing out your scouting and playing dangerously with other positions.  Without seeing the rest of the season, we more than likely need 2 running backs and most likely 2 safeties.  If that all comes from the draft, we have already dedicated 7 picks right there.  

• Like 1

We've given up 9 sacks on the year. *

Love: 2

Walker: 2.5

Dillon: .5

Runyan Jr.: 1

Newman: 2.5

Coverage Sack: 1

* Love scrambling for 0 yards outside of the pocket isn't a sack. For some reason that was counted as a sack which is why a lot of sites have us listed at 10. 

* Love, Walker, and Newman all got assigned 1/2 a sack on a play when all three shared responsibility for it. That's why it's 9.5 when you add up the numbers. 

+++

Meyers is just fine. He's not costing you games. 

Ton has been real good, though he was lucky to stay off this list. 

Jenkins has been good as ever. 

Runyan is survivable.

Fix LT and this line is back in business. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Zycho32 said:

I will admit a truly elite FS who can play the Center Field role would be among the biggest check marks on the bucket list- going into this season I thought it was the biggest wish on said list myself. I'm just not sure there's someone like that with a first round grade in this or future draft pools. By contrast, I'm fairly sure there will be at least one or two high-rated LT prospects available by our selection, so I'm more comfortable penciling in LT as the top priority, and penciling in other positions as a 'only if a BIG one comes around' sort of alternate.

I just don't want to pencil in any top priorities. I want to look where there are holes that cost you games. Those are your priorities. Next is positions that could be better, and the last tier is "depth and development". Right now, LT, FS, RB (but I don't like the value high outside of a Christian McCaffrey/Bijan Robinson level prospect) and, depending on if we see anything from Stokes, CB, are the positions in that top bracket for me.

53 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

* Love scrambling for 0 yards outside of the pocket isn't a sack. For some reason that was counted as a sack which is why a lot of sites have us listed at 10. 

* Love, Walker, and Newman all got assigned 1/2 a sack on a play when all three shared responsibility for it. That's why it's 9.5 when you add up the numbers. 

+++

Runyan is survivable.

One of these days you'll realize it's "Myers"

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

+++

Runyan is survivable.

How about the great run blocking we've seen from this bunch?

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

+++

Runyan is survivable.

Draft an OT, see what Robert Hunt, Jonah Jackson or Damien Lewis are looking for in FA and either move there or bring back Runyan.

I would like to move Tom to the left side in the off-season and get a RT like Fuaga or Latham that can collapse the hell out of the backside of zone. 

Really think this could be a special offense if you start pounding people in the run game and get Love on the move in the action game.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Draft an OT, see what Robert Hunt, Jonah Jackson or Damien Lewis are looking for in FA and either move there or bring back Runyan.

I would like to move Tom to the left side in the off-season and get a RT like Fuaga or Latham that can collapse the hell out of the backside of zone. 

Really think this could be a special offense if you start pounding people in the run game and get Love on the move in the action game.

I think the FO sees this too and invests what we can this off-season in the OL. 

On 10/16/2023 at 4:28 PM, Zycho32 said:

Finding those Earl Thomas-like FS is like finding a franchise QB.  They're incredibly rare.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2023 at 7:04 PM, Packerraymond said:

Asking because I do not know much about college football guys...

But....Those RT's you listed.  They going to be any better than putting Caleb Jones out there with 2 years of practice under his belt?  He seems like an ideal guy to "collapse the hell out of the backside of a zone".  I understand that the draft pedigree isn't there with him.  And Lord knows, I hope we take a tackle.  But....I think Jones can play in the league at RT.