State of Titans convo: Non-game specific

deeluxx3

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Also file under the you never know category....Punka in LA. Raise your hand if you had him setting records. Shoot raise your hand if you like me and didn't even know who he was. 

Imma toot my own horn. I actually thought he’d be the WR we drafted instead of Dowell.

On 4/29/2023 at 11:20 AM, TitanSlim said:

Calling it now. Puka Nacua in 6th, it’s going to be a bunch of unfunny puns made about his name, and he’s going to be this year’s camp darling.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Imma toot my own horn. I actually thought he’d be the WR we drafted instead of Dowell.

Nice call!

Yeah. I don't think I even watched any of his college games leading up to the draft. First time was last night.  He was nowhere on my radar. 

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Nice call!

Yeah. I don't think I even watched any of his college games leading up to the draft. First time was last night.  He was nowhere on my radar. 

I remember seeing or hearing someone mention him during the draft process and looked him up. Then I was like “he kinda fits the characteristics the Titans like in a WR”. High character tough WR, who isn’t know for his speed. Honestly like another version of NWI.

Never thought he’d have the immediate impact he’s had but it just goes to show how important going to the right franchise, system, coaching is for like 85% of NFL players.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I remember seeing or hearing someone mention him during the draft process and looked him up. Then I was like “he kinda fits the characteristics the Titans like in a WR”. High character tough WR, who isn’t know for his speed. Honestly like another version of NWI.

Never thought he’d have the immediate impact he’s had but it just goes to show how important going to the right franchise, system, coaching is for like 85% of NFL players.

Yeah. If he was here, I'm sure he'd be averaging maybe 2 catches for 30 yards a game. 

48 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Yeah. If he was here, I'm sure he'd be averaging maybe 2 catches for 30 yards a game. 

I'm sure this is at least partially a joke, but it is something I've become kind of concerned with lately.  The team is having a tough time developing talent, even when it's clearly there.  Ignoring recent high draft picks, a good example is Chig Okonkwo.  He was arguably the best rookie TE in the 2022 class, then this year he's got 17 receptions for 122 yards.  The talent was already there.  He was already good, and now, he's JAG on a team where most JAGs look good.

It does make me wonder how much it is the guys we're getting on the team vs. what we're doing with them once we get them.

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'm sure this is at least partially a joke, but it is something I've become kind of concerned with lately.  The team is having a tough time developing talent, even when it's clearly there.  Ignoring recent high draft picks, a good example is Chig Okonkwo.  He was arguably the best rookie TE in the 2022 class, then this year he's got 17 receptions for 122 yards.  The talent was already there.  He was already good, and now, he's JAG on a team where most JAGs look good.

It does make me wonder how much it is the guys we're getting on the team vs. what we're doing with them once we get them.

i share this concern to an extent but i'm not actually sure chig's the best example, because A. we're having to use him to help our OTs more this year as TE1, and that's limiting what we can do in the passing game and B. he's gotten open downfield repeatedly, almost every week, and basically every single time ryan tannehill has either not gotten the ball out or flat-out missed him. if tannehill hits him twice in NO and once against the ravens, off the top of my head, we're probably not having this conversation. i get that at a certain point these become excuses and a guy just has to ball, but i'm not out on chig the way i am on burks. the offense is so utterly devoid of talent at every position except RB and *maybe* TE that it becomes very hard to judge individuals. 

i do feel this way about our CB room though. when you see a guy like fulton making literal rookie mistakes week in and week out in year 4....oof. our CBs are consistently awful at playing the ball no matter who we bring in. even in fulton's good years he was not good at locating the ball. and it's certainly hard not to wonder about OL as well, though line play is always tough for me to judge as a layman.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Partial joke but really serious to tell the truth. 

We don't have enough offensive possessions to target someone 15 times. 

It's weird because defensively we seen guys who are off the street be coached up to be serviceable. 

Offensively, we don't do it. 

I just don't ever see us have an offensive player outside of a running back produce numbers. 

Puka would be playing ( I'm hoping) if he was here.  But would he be breaking records? I just can't picture it. 

23 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i share this concern to an extent but i'm not actually sure chig's the best example, because A. we're having to use him to help our OTs more this year as TE1, and that's limiting what we can do in the passing game and B. he's gotten open downfield repeatedly, almost every week, and basically every single time ryan tannehill has either not gotten the ball out or flat-out missed him. if tannehill hits him twice in NO and once against the ravens, off the top of my head, we're probably not having this conversation. i get that at a certain point these become excuses and a guy just has to ball, but i'm not out on chig the way i am on burks. the offense is so utterly devoid of talent at every position except RB and *maybe* TE that it becomes very hard to judge individuals. 

i do feel this way about our CB room though. when you see a guy like fulton making literal rookie mistakes week in and week out in year 4....oof. our CBs are consistently awful at playing the ball no matter who we bring in. even in fulton's good years he was not good at locating the ball. and it's certainly hard not to wonder about OL as well, though line play is always tough for me to judge as a layman.

I was originally gonna talk about Farley, but I know injuries kinda make that one a wash.  OLs do seem to be struggling too.  Radunz's development was handled terribly, and he was a highly touted prospect.  NPF looks to not be improved from last year in the few snaps he played, and Skoronski is getting good PFF grades, but I'm not liking the number of missed blocks I see from him, and even though I was very openly extremely bearish on him at 11, I still expected him to come in and be a plus OG right away.

So many players flash, then never take steps forward.  It's frustrating, and it makes me think our staff maybe just isn't equipped to build a good team.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I was originally gonna talk about Farley, but I know injuries kinda make that one a wash.  OLs do seem to be struggling too.  Radunz's development was handled terribly, and he was a highly touted prospect.  NPF looks to not be improved from last year in the few snaps he played, and Skoronski is getting good PFF grades, but I'm not liking the number of missed blocks I see from him, and even though I was very openly extremely bearish on him at 11, I still expected him to come in and be a plus OG right away.

So many players flash, then never take steps forward.  It's frustrating, and it makes me think our staff maybe just isn't equipped to build a good team.

yeah, whatever the merits of individual cases, i think as a whole we can firmly say that this is a staff that somehow seems to get a lot of hype and rhetoric around player development that seems frankly undeserved. 

16 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The problem is that is taking place over multiple coaching staffs.

When we had Munch, no matter who was playing OL, it was a sure bet that they would be at least a serviceable player. 

Only position we routinely have good to above average players, 

Punter, RB, S, DL and maybe TE.
I think that's why being a fan of this team is really feeling rudderless. 

Change coach, Change GM, Change Owner.  Still the same thing 

About trading: We not gonna trade anyone. No insider stuff. Just me saying my prediction.

Henry has no worth.
Byard, You get at most maybe a 3rd round pick? Maybe?

To trade, I think we have to have someone aggressively come after a player. Otherwise we trading just because.  Also the message it sends, goes against everything Vrabel is about. 

15 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

About trading: We not gonna trade anyone. No insider stuff. Just me saying my prediction.

Henry has no worth.

To trade, I think we have to have someone aggressively come after a player. Otherwise we trading just because.  Also the message it sends, goes against everything Vrabel is about. 

Just got a notification that we're trading Byard to Philly for a 5th, 6th, and Terrell Edmonds... 

16 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Henry has no worth.

lol, bad timing my man