State of Titans convo: Non-game specific

deeluxx3

vrabel did himself absolutely no favors by not just embracing the rebuild. a clear rebuild year would have elicited some amount of patience among fans- a totally wasted year like this one will do the opposite. he has only himself to blame 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

vrabel did himself absolutely no favors by not just embracing the rebuild. a clear rebuild year would have elicited some amount of patience among fans- a totally wasted year like this one will do the opposite. he has only himself to blame 

this is true 100%

I don't say this to defend Vrabes, I just wonder if there was more that happened...or DIDNT happen...behind the scenes that we weren't privy to. I think RC did try to move Tannehill, or at least made it clear to Tannehill that we were exploring new QB options. If we got Stroud, Tannehill would've been gone and the rebuild/new era would've been on. You can argue that moving guys like Byard, Henry, etc would've signified a rebuild, but nothing really says rebuild like moving on from your QB. We were unable to get Stroud or move Tannehill (who knows if we actually tried to, I just think we did).

On the flip side, a move for Hopkins says we're trying to win. But with RT fully entrenched after the draft and being unable to trade RT or draft Stroud...I can't really blame that move.

All that said...if we move to Levis next week and ship out some vets for draft picks by the deadline...I'll say "all's well that ends well"

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Who would support a Vrabel trade to LA Chargers?  

Only if they send Justin Herbert in return for him. 0 Interest in trading Vrabel anywhere unless it's for a top flight QB, that's the only thing worth moving on from a coach as good as him.

29 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

this is true 100%

I don't say this to defend Vrabes, I just wonder if there was more that happened...or DIDNT happen...behind the scenes that we weren't privy to. I think RC did try to move Tannehill, or at least made it clear to Tannehill that we were exploring new QB options. If we got Stroud, Tannehill would've been gone and the rebuild/new era would've been on. You can argue that moving guys like Byard, Henry, etc would've signified a rebuild, but nothing really says rebuild like moving on from your QB. We were unable to get Stroud or move Tannehill (who knows if we actually tried to, I just think we did).

On the flip side, a move for Hopkins says we're trying to win. But with RT fully entrenched after the draft and being unable to trade RT or draft Stroud...I can't really blame that move.

All that said...if we move to Levis next week and ship out some vets for draft picks by the deadline...I'll say "all's well that ends well"

There was the report we were close to trading Tannehill to Atlanta that came out a bit after the draft.

• Like 1

I'm for it, I have been over him for a while. I think he would be a great fit for LA, but I would hate for him to be in the AFC. I think he would return good value so I am all for letting him start over while allowing us to get a fresh start as well. My only caveat is we have to go offensive coach. 

Well thinking on it, they rarely trade coaches that are losing. 
But I know Vrabel is very well respected in the league among players and coaches.  

I was just thinking if we really bottom out this year. Can he do a rebuild.  Does he have it in him? He was brought in to take a talented team over the edge of 1st round playoff losses. 

I don't want him gone, but like after Fisher left, I don't have the confidence the immediate replacement will do anything but sink us further. 

19 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

But I know Vrabel is very well respected in the league among players and coaches.  

I was just thinking if we really bottom out this year. Can he do a rebuild.  Does he have it in him? He was brought in to take a talented team over the edge of 1st round playoff losses. 

I don't want him gone, but like after Fisher left, I don't have the confidence the immediate replacement will do anything but sink us further. 

Munchak was such such such a bad hire. Thanks for that trip down memory lane!

24 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

If for whatever reason Vrabel was to leave, I hope we go in the direction of a young offensive mind. How you are with the QBs we drafted where you’d like us to go with a more cerebral guy than the “raw” athletic guy is how I feel about the next coaching hire (whenever that may be).

We’ve never gone the route of the young innovative offensive guy (I’m not counting the retread in Whisenhunt) since we’ve been the Titans and it’d be a nice change for us.

19 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I think it comes down to how much control Vrabel has in team building. The firing of Robinson yet Vrabel's job was never even remotely in danger leads you to believe Robinson held complete control. Would make sense too I guess given Robinson hired Vrabel. Obviously Vrabel gave input, but it's Robinson's picks.

Now Ran comes in and all of the sudden our team has changed a good deal. People frequently blamed Vrabel for relying too much on Henry, and now Henry's snaps have been cut quite considerably and Sharpe has played a big role. We brought in a really good receiver and actually use the passing game a lot/target him a good deal. We completely revamped the offensive line and made it a far more mobile/athletic one.

So it seems to me the GM still holds control of draft/roster building. Vrabel's job is what I think most agree every coach's job should be. To coach. I'm not sure if that's exactly by his choice or not, but he strikes me as the type of guy who wouldn't care to shoulder the burden of having to play the role of GM too. That fails 99% of the time teams do it anyway. Even with maybe the greatest mind in NFL history, Belichick up in New England struggles so badly to build a competent roster and with Brady not there to cover up all the holes, it's easy to see.

Given Vrabel played under Belichick and perhaps saw first hand how challenging that role is, it's not surprising. On the flip side, he also played under Cowher, who did not take GM control of the Steelers and focused largely on just the coaching aspect. From his first hand experiences, wouldn't be surprised if that pushed him to the route he's seemingly on now.

Bill Cowher is perhaps the best comparison you can make head coach wise for Vrabel. Hard nosed coach who wants an extremely physical team, and sometimes focusing so much on the physical aspect that you become predictable offensively is a downfall both have faced(but Vrabel has seemingly/hopefully fixed by letting Kelly and London run the system they want). Vrabel seems a bit more relaxed than Cowher, but I don't recall Cowher ever being criticized for being super hard on his players, would mostly just blow up on officials.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Watch Ryan Day lose to both Penn St and Michigan this year … Vrabes will be a buckeye

Wouldn't bet on it I don't think. 1:54:13 is where it should start if the timestamp doesn't work. He was answering a question about "if you couldn't coach the Titans, what other NFL team would you coach" and Vrabel says he's only concerned about coaching here, excited for the new stadium, etc, then Taylor transitions to a question about coaching college and Vrabel's response sums it up lol:

20 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Wouldn't bet on it I don't think. 1:54:13 is where it should start if the timestamp doesn't work. He was answering a question about "if you couldn't coach the Titans, what other NFL team would you coach" and Vrabel says he's only concerned about coaching here, excited for the new stadium, etc, then Taylor transitions to a question about coaching college and Vrabel's response sums it up lol:

I know, I’ve seen that. I also know what blank checks can do.

Just now, deeluxx3 said:

I know, I’ve seen that. I also know what blank checks can do.

Vrabel already makes 9.5 million a year(per NBCSports). Highest paid in CFB right now is Saban at 11.1. Vrabel also made north of 20 million in his playing career. I mean you're not wrong in that blank checks do sway a lot of people for obvious reasons, but it'd be hard for me to believe Vrabel is gonna walk from a job where he's making 9.5 million a year, with likely ~10+ million in the bank even before he started his coaching career, to go to a job he hates just cause it'd bump him up to 11.5 a year(or whatever mark they'd have to hit to make him highest paid if it were to happen).

Possible he has some goals or interest in life that would make him want as much money as possible I guess, but in general speaking his quality of life and style of living wouldn't change at all going up 2 mil a year when he's already got as much in the bank as he has.