The Trade Deadline Cometh...

vike daddy

Just now, JDBrocks said:

He was also playing for Indianapolis. Did you see that entire team?

Yes.  And it was a more talented team than their record indicated...and got arguably worse QB play than they got from Wentz the season before.  They suffered because of the injury to Taylor, otherwise they were pretty much the same team that went 9-8 the season before.  A guy with Ryan's pedigree should have been able to weather the ship...but he wasn't even NFL-caliber, fumbling the ball 11 times and throwing 9 picks in the first 7 games.  That's not the entire team...that's him. 

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Yes.  And it was a more talented team than their record indicated...and got arguably worse QB play than they got from Wentz the season before.  They suffered because of the injury to Taylor, otherwise they were pretty much the same team that went 9-8 the season before.  A guy with Ryan's pedigree should have been able to weather the ship...but he wasn't even NFL-caliber, fumbling the ball 11 times and throwing 9 picks in the first 7 games.  That's not the entire team...that's him. 

Weather the ship - a little Monday Morning Metaphor Mixing 😉

I disagree. The OL was atrocious (41 sacks allowed by the OL), and they hired Jeff Saturday(!) to run the team midseason. This Vikings team is several tiers better than that with an actual coaching staff. 

I'm not advocating for bringing him in - he's just the best veteran option available.

Hypothetically, if the Panthers were willing to trade Derrick Brown for the Vikings’ 2nd round pick, would you make the move knowing the situation around the QB position? 

On one hand, Brown would be a great player to add to the front line, and would bolster the defense even more to help a young QB like Hall. And similarly to the Hockenson deal last year, he wouldn’t be a rental but another long term piece. 

But, on the other hand, losing your 2nd round pick would just make it that much more difficult to possibly trade up for a QB in the draft. 

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Hypothetically, if the Panthers were willing to trade Derrick Brown for the Vikings’ 2nd round pick, would you make the move knowing the situation around the QB position? 

On one hand, Brown would be a great player to add to the front line, and would bolster the defense even more to help a young QB like Hall. And similarly to the Hockenson deal last year, he wouldn’t be a rental but another long term piece. 

But, on the other hand, losing your 2nd round pick would just make it that much more difficult to possibly trade up for a QB in the draft. 

I would do it. Trade all of your future firsts and seconds to get your QB on the strongest possible team.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I'd have a hard time not having a 2nd 2 years in a row.  The biggest thing is finding the next QB imo and the defensive line can be fixed after that

Is that 2nd round pick going to be as good as Derrick Brown? That's the question. The Vikings could give up firsts in 24, 25, and 26 ahead of the draft to go get QB 2 or QB 3 (I highly doubt someone is going to trade away the right to select Williams). As a GM I want my QBOTF to step into a situation where he can be successful right away. Otherwise you end up with a situation like Chicago, Carolina, Pittsburgh, NYJ, or NYG - you don't know if it's the QB, the supporting cast, or both.

• Like 2

Just now, JDBrocks said:

Is that 2nd round pick going to be as good as Derrick Brown? That's the question. The Vikings could give up firsts in 24, 25, and 26 ahead of the draft to go get QB 2 or QB 3 (I highly doubt someone is going to trade away the right to select Williams). As a GM I want my QBOTF to step into a situation where he can be successful right away. Otherwise you end up with a situation like Chicago, Carolina, Pittsburgh, NYJ, or NYG - you don't know if it's the QB, the supporting cast, or both.

I'd rather give up a 2nd next year than a future first if that's what it took to move up for a QB. I think the Vikings would be a better landing spot for a QB than a lot of teams that pick early.  I don't know about the player so maybe he's good enough to part with a 2nd but I think I'd rather see what's on the free agent market

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Trading for a QB, regardless of the cost, just doesn’t make sense to me. You’re asking a backup level QB to pick up the offense in a week? And expecting them to make you competitive? Better off sticking with Hall and Mullens. 

If Matt Ryan was physically capable, I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to it. He’s about the only FA veteran with enough clout to come in and help. But his capabilities are a big “if” at this point. 

Edited by Karnage84
Moved to Cousins replacement section

2 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I'd rather give up a 2nd next year than a future first if that's what it took to move up for a QB. I think the Vikings would be a better landing spot for a QB than a lot of teams that pick early.  I don't know about the player so maybe he's good enough to part with a 2nd but I think I'd rather see what's on the free agent market

It's gonna cost multiple firsts to move up for a QB. That's just the market rate.

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I'd make a trade if someone came in with a great offer for Hunter, like a 1st+, or a solid offer for Harrison Smith, but I'm not going to say sell off all the good assets. I'd not blow up too much of the team though.

Ya, unless they get a first for Hunter, I have come to the conclusion it likely isn't worth dealing anyone...as I don't need more 5th round picks....and I 100% don't deal assets for a QB at this point. Integrating one is HARD, and no one available is likely all that good. Roll with Hall and see what you have (I'm not holding my breath, but you never know).