The Trade Deadline Cometh...

vike daddy

11 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Would they sign someone like Wentz and see if he has anything left?

Carson Wentz I would love to bring him in and just see what he can do.  Basically his confidence is just shot but he is a big athletic dude who is still only 30.  Odd no one even brought him in this season but he would be a decent guy with some upside.  

Here are the other names thrown around

Jacoby Brissett - Washington
Teddy Bridgewater - Lions
Marcus Mariota - Eagles
Jameis Winston- Saints
Trey Lance- Cowboys
Ryan Tannehill - Titans
Case Keenum - Texans
Davis Mills - Texans

All of them would cost a draft pick where Wentz would cost nothing in terms of draft capital and is arguably as good as any of these guys listed outside of maybe Mills who is still young with upside.  Trey Lance doubt the Cowboys trade him after trading for him, Cowboys got him for a 4th round pick and do still have Cooper Rush.  

There is also something to be said where, maybe they should learn to be a team, compete as a team and not depend on any one player to win games just like they have done with Justin Jefferson out.  Maybe they could do the same with Cousins but obviously that is a hell of a lot harder without a quality backup to take his place.  All comes down to who the head coach likes and is familiar with.  

Wentz and Lance rely on the QB run game and that is not really part of the offense for them currently so they might be out just on that alone.  Same with Mariota and Tannehill as well.  Would love to see Wentz brought in just to see, curious why they never did that in the preseason but maybe Wentz was asking way to much.  Would a team have to pay the last year of his contract if signing Wentz?  Maybe that is why no one has signed him, was making $30 mil a year or so off that Eagles contact till 2024.  

• Like 1

Let's roll with Hall, see if has anything before the draft/signing Cousins again (if that would even be an option now). If he shows something, great, and we could go in different direction in off season. If he doesn't, we get that QB in draft with the presumed high pick, or sign one. Maybe sell if returns are good.....but don't sell just to sell.

All IMO of course.....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Let's roll with Hall, see if has anything before the draft/signing Cousins again (if that would even be an option now). If he shows something, great, and we could go in different direction in off season. If he doesn't, we get that QB in draft with the presumed high pick, or sign one. Maybe sell if returns are good.....but don't sell just to sell.

All IMO of course.....

I would have no problem with that but real thing is, signing Kirk Cousins again is that even possible considering what he has got the past few seasons?  Would he take a lower number?  How focused are they on a new QB or will they sign Cousins again like they have the past few times the contract came up?

Justin Jefferson I assume signs a contract for what $30+ mil a year easily, so there goes $30 mil.  Also having Hunter a free agent and Wonnum, Osborn, Hicks, Risner etc...

When a rookie QB would get $9 mil or so a year but probably less because they will not get the 1st or 2nd pick overall.  

Really sucky part is, with how much improvement Brian Flores has brought to the D and how they are playing with suspect parts at CB and DT, losing him would be a massive loss and if they keep playing this well on D he is long gone and then they could be back to average crappy D all over again.  It is him and the energy he brings and his passion, not so sure it is the players, he is putting the players in positions to succeed greatly huge examples being Bynum, Metellus, Hicks and Pace.

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

I think the only one I call on would be Andy Dalton. Maybe gives us a shot this year but is also under contract for next at a very reasonable rate to be the placeholder until the torch is ready to be passed. 

bring in guys like McCoy and Wentz for workouts for sure, but Dalton would be the only one I maybe work out a pick swap for. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I think the only one I call on would be Andy Dalton. Maybe gives us a shot this year but is also under contract for next at a very reasonable rate to be the placeholder until the torch is ready to be passed. 

bring in guys like McCoy and Wentz for workouts for sure, but Dalton would be the only one I maybe work out a pick swap for. 

I think Carolina would want more than we’d be willing to part with, but I agree in principle.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I would have no problem with that but real thing is, signing Kirk Cousins again is that even possible considering what he has got the past few seasons?  Would he take a lower number?  How focused are they on a new QB or will they sign Cousins again like they have the past few times the contract came up?

Justin Jefferson I assume signs a contract for what $30+ mil a year easily, so there goes $30 mil.  Also having Hunter a free agent and Wonnum, Osborn, Hicks, Risner etc...

When a rookie QB would get $9 mil or so a year but probably less because they will not get the 1st or 2nd pick overall.  

Really sucky part is, with how much improvement Brian Flores has brought to the D and how they are playing with suspect parts at CB and DT, losing him would be a massive loss and if they keep playing this well on D he is long gone and then they could be back to average crappy D all over again.  It is him and the energy he brings and his passion, not so sure it is the players, he is putting the players in positions to succeed greatly huge examples being Bynum, Metellus, Hicks and Pace.

I couldn't agree more about Cousins....can't pay Cousins AND JJ, AND the Oline AND improve the D. Something's gotta give, so that's why I say roll with Hall.  If he doesn't have "it" then draft rookie deal QB with the presume high pick.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

This is my guess at what they will do, not what I think they should do:

they will likely look for a veteran stop gap, but there aren’t many that will be available for what they are willing to give away. With less than 48 hours before the deadline there isn’t going to be enough time to move their big pieces AND feel out the QB market.

i think they end up rolling with Hall and Mullens while maybe signing Mannion to be the third QB as an extra teacher, while Cousins is on IR and trying to contribute from the sidelines. They are going to try to thread the needle with the pieces they have, and maybe add to the defense.

Agreed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

i'm trying to. i'm trying to cool hotter heads down, and to show that no one is attempting to silence other members.

People absolutely are silencing others. It used to be buried by the fact dozens of people posted..... And the threads went all over. But it's like twelve people dominating and getting mad whenever people disagree. I don't even bother with game threads anymore. 

• Like 1

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

People absolutely are silencing others. 

no, they are not.

expressing a contrary view, or saying "you're wrong" or something to that effect is not silencing anyone.

saying something directly to a poster like "why don't you leave the site" or "shut up" would be attempting to silence someone.

again, if you or anyone else feels a poster(s) is out of line, breaking rules, attempting to silence another member, then take it a senior mod or the webmaster and let them look their posts over.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

People absolutely are silencing others. It used to be buried by the fact dozens of people posted..... And the threads went all over. But it's like twelve people dominating and getting mad whenever people disagree. I don't even bother with game threads anymore. 

I get silenced by senseless dribble that is off topic of the thread for pages.

There shoulda be a "I'm butt hurt because of ____ " thread for those people/reply's.  😐

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Still don’t see the point. If you need someone to fill the gap for 4-6 games, sure, maybe get a Dalton or Tannehill to hold down the fort. But if Cousins season is over, do you really expect Dalton to do anything for you in terms of making a deep playoff run? That should be the goal, right?

If I’m trading for any QB, I might look at Trey Lance. 

Mullens should be back soon.

• Like 1