Titans trade S Kevin Byard to Eagles for 5th, 6th, and Terrell Edmunds

General Tso

4 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I mean y'all are paying a lot of that contract lol

cap hit is 14m next year. it was get something for him or get nothing for him, and there's no way he would've been around long enough for us to be any good again

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Hey now, that's not fair.  Two trades with two GMs.  He has two Titans GMs locked in his basement.

Apparently there isn't much interest in Henry around the league.  Which isn't surprising considering the running back market.  It's too bad, because I was hoping a contender would want to grab Henry and make their team complete.  Then I'd have someone to root for in the playoffs.

In all seriousness though, the Titans are in trouble, needing to start a rebuild, and are already short on draft picks.  Byard was gonna be gone by the time they were gonna compete for anything, and they're actually solid at safety without him, so this will help in the draft.

In fairness, safeties usually aren't valued too highly either (and we just saw they were willing to move Byard for crumbs, more or less). Would have to think they'd be open to moving Henry for similar compensation, yeah? Especially considering his contract

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Apparently there isn't much interest in Henry around the league.  Which isn't surprising considering the running back market.  It's too bad, because I was hoping a contender would want to grab Henry and make their team complete.  Then I'd have someone to root for in the playoffs.

I'm honestly hoping for Henry in Detroit. That just *feels* right, y'know?

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

In fairness, safeties usually aren't valued too highly either (and we just saw they were willing to move Byard for crumbs, more or less). Would have to think they'd be open to moving Henry for similar compensation, yeah? Especially considering his contract

Realistically who wants Henry? I feel like his value is much higher in Tennessee than it is pretty much anywhere else.

2 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

cap hit is 14m next year. it was get something for him or get nothing for him, and there's no way he would've been around long enough for us to be any good again

There is a "we'll send you to a contender for a SB push" feel to this trade. I think they could have received a little more compensation from a lesser team, but this move could be something the entire locker room would appreciate.

Byard is going to be playing meaningful football now - and he was underrated by many, so a lot of folks are going to see what sort of playmaker he could be with this front.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Realistically who wants Henry? I feel like his value is much higher in Tennessee than it is pretty much anywhere else.

What value does he have to a team wanting to tank (they don't really have a choice at this point with Tannehill's injury)? For a contender who feels like they could use an upgrade at RB and have the cap space this year there's not a huge risk (his contract for the next two seasons is actually quite team-friendly and painless to move on from due to being initially frontloaded).

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Henry is still very good, and is the face of the franchise, so I think they'd want more to let him go.  Plus Henry will make things easier offensively for a rookie/sophomore QB, so he's more valuable to the team long term than Byard.  Plus Byard fell off quite a bit this season, unfortunately.  But to be fair, he also was surrounded by terrible CBs, so he couldn't do what he does best.

• Like 1

Even if Byard isn't obviously the same player he was. I'm still really excited about this trade. Have always loved watching the way he plays safety and think he can be a good mentor to the younger guys. It's also pretty cool he's from Philly and looked up to Brian Dawkins. This trade was much needed from an Eagles perspective like I said in the thread that got locked.

10 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

What value does he have to a team wanting to tank (they don't really have a choice at this point with Tannehill's injury)? For a contender who feels like they could use an upgrade at RB and have the cap space this year there's not a huge risk (his contract for the next two seasons is actually quite team-friendly due to being initially frontloaded).

I just feel like Henry's style of running isn't going to fit in the overwhelming majority of offenses in the NFL. Henry needs a ton of touches to be truly effective, he isn't a guy that you give 10-15 carries a game and call it a day. He is ideally getting 20+ touches and wearing on defenses over time. The only contender that makes sense to me off the top of my head is the Lions, but I don't think they are investing any more at RB lol. The Falcons also come to mind as a fit but ya.... they don't need an RB. 

The only team that I think actually makes sense in terms of fit and need would be the Browns for the current year only of course. MAYBE the Rams? They have been more willing to grind out the run game this year. Not saying he won't get moved, I just don't think Henry is a plug and play RB in the current day NFL.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I just feel like Henry's style of running isn't going to fit in the overwhelming majority of offenses in the NFL. Henry just needs a ton of touches to be truly effective, he isn't a guy that you give 10-15 carries a game and call it a day. He is ideally getting 20+ touches and wearing on defenses over time. The only contender that makes sense to me off the top of my head is the Lions, but I don't think they are investing any more at RB lol. The Falcons also come to mind as a fit but ya.... they don't need an RB. 

The only team that I think actually makes sense in terms of fit and need would be the Browns for the current year only of course. MAYBE the Rams? They have been more willing to grind out the run game this year. Not saying he won't get moved, I just don't think Henry is a plug and play RB in the current day NFL.

Browns and Rams do make a ton of sense.

11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Henry is still very good, and is the face of the franchise, so I think they'd want more to let him go.  Plus Henry will make things easier offensively for a rookie/sophomore QB, so he's more valuable to the team long term than Byard.  Plus Byard fell off quite a bit this season, unfortunately.  But to be fair, he also was surrounded by terrible CBs, so he couldn't do what he does best.

HOT TAKE TIME!

Derrick Henry is not good anymore, and is totally reliant on getting 15+ carries/game so that he can go for 1 yard for 14 of those carries, then on the 15th carry the defense or OL will give him a gaping hole and he'll break a 45-yard run to inflate his YPC. He's been this way for at least 2 or so years now but nobody wants to admit it and I will die on this hill.

Ravens fans everywhere are so hell bent on trading for him when we've already got Costco brand Derrick Henry in Gus Edwards who averages 5+ ypc without having to break an 80 yard run every game on his 29th carry to do it!

• Like 2