The Michigan/Sign Stealing Thread

BobbyPhil1781

The biggest question I have is whether or not they look at the 2020 timeline with this scandal as a repeat offender for Harbs or if it’s added to it.

The fact that this happened at a pivotal time to turn the tide and resurrect the program is impossible to ignore.

His success against B1G opponents and failures in bowl and other big games vs non conference opponents cannot be ignored.

If the NCAA doesn’t come down HARD you’ll see some interesting fallout from other coaches and programs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

This all but confirms that Michigan players knew and were complacent w/ what was going on. They no longer have my sympathy if Michigan gets any kind of penalty. Now I can only feel bad for opponent's players who got screwed out of B1G championship visits, titles, bowl games, etc b/c Michigan (potentially) broke the rules and used it to their advantage.

I don't see how that follows. They knew they had decoded signals, but it doesn't follow that it was by illegal means. If you can decode the signals from tv coverage and allowed game footage then there is no problem

13 minutes ago, mse326 said:

I don't see how that follows. They knew they had decoded signals, but it doesn't follow that it was by illegal means. If you can decode the signals from tv coverage and allowed game footage then there is no problem

Obtaining the signals isn't the problem. It's how they were obtained. Best analogy I've seen is it's legal to throw a curveball but not legal to throw one using sandpaper. We know Stalions went to/had people at over 30 games, on both sidelines. We know he's heavily involved for a low-level staffer. We know shady **** is going on but they just need to find the smoking gun which doesn't seem like it's too far away. If they sent people to games and they recorded the sidelines (which I believe someone said they have proof of), that is illegal and said gun

4 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

That is very telling.  

I was all about sympathy for the players until I saw this.

Again, nothing has been proven yet so we need to chill on that stuff until there is evidence they broke a rule. If that does get proven though, well, we'll see what they do as far as punishments. I'm not knowledgeable enough to speak on what those could be but I would guess severe since they compromised the integrity of the game, ruined other kid's chances are bowls, championships etc and that's cool.

We still need to wait until facts come out though, no matter how bad it looks. The truth is important and everything could've been done w/in the confines of the rules via loopholes or whatnot.

6 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I was all about sympathy for the players until I saw this.

Again, nothing has been proven yet so we need to chill on that stuff until there is evidence they broke a rule. If that does get proven though, well, we'll see what they do as far as punishments. I'm not knowledgeable enough to speak on what those could be but I would guess severe since they compromised the integrity of the game, ruined other kid's chances are bowls, championships etc and that's cool.

We still need to wait until facts come out though, no matter how bad it looks. The truth is important and everything could've been done w/in the confines of the rules via loopholes or whatnot.

Well as a Michigan fan it is disheartening regardless of the outcome.  It looks bad.

I am not sure the right answer and the NCAA moves so slowly but I think they need to have this figured out before playoffs.

I would much rather them keep them out of playoffs versus doing a vacate situation after the fact.  It would be unfair to other teams that could have made the playoffs if they indeed determine to vacate anything after the fact.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Well as a Michigan fan it is disheartening regardless of the outcome.  It looks bad.

And this is something that I'm guilty of not thinking about - the fans. I've only been thinking about it from the player's perspective and no one else. I agree that this has to be extremely disheartening especially as good as Michigan has looked as of late. They looked like the best team in college football which should've given all their fans hope.

Again though, we'll see what happens. Everything could've been done legally and all that will come out of it is a rule revision.

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

And this is something that I'm guilty of not thinking about - the fans. I've only been thinking about it from the player's perspective and no one else. I agree that this has to be extremely disheartening especially as good as Michigan has looked as of late. They looked like the best team in college football which should've given all their fans hope.

Again though, we'll see what happens. Everything could've been done legally and all that will come out of it is a rule revision.

Stop.  I can tell you by simply what I have seen in video clips, posts, the internet and such there was illegal stuff taking place.

You can see it.  In the moment as a fan and watching games and enjoying the team you do not notice it.  After the fact you can see what is taking place.

I think they could have gotten to a level of good without this.  Dominance like they are now?  I question that a bit more now.

Harbaugh is done at UM imo.

Also in the age of the Portal and NIL the sanctions NCAA can put down in terms of death penalty and such hold less weight imo.

So the NCAA has backed themselves into a corner a bit here on what to do.

If Harbaugh is gone nothing stops a coach from filing a roster with tons of talent with NIL money....walk these kids on and pay them.

You dont need scholarships per say.....so NCAA needs to keep them out of bowls etc.

12 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

5 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Stop.  I can tell you by simply what I have seen in video clips, posts, the internet and such there was illegal stuff taking place.

You can see it.  In the moment as a fan and watching games and enjoying the team you do not notice it.  After the fact you can see what is taking place.

I think they could have gotten to a level of good without this.  Dominance like they are now?  I question that a bit more now.

Harbaugh is done at UM imo.

Probably, but they still deserve the right to respond and will exercise the full 90 days in doing so.

That's what fair is in this archaic system. 

Edited by Jameson_Neat

Just now, Jameson_Neat said:

You have to let the process play out and that program will exercise their right to respond, which kicks it back what I'm sure will be the full 90 days. 

Harbaugh moves on, program gets a slap on the wrist and hopefully headsets become the norm. If they can do it 

Probably, but they still deserve the right to respond and will exercise the full 90 days in doing so.

That's what fair is in this archaic system. 

I will lose a lot of respect for this University if they drag this out and are implicated.....it is messing up a lot of other kids and coaches dreams.  If you are guilty do not drag it out.  Take it...own it...learn and move on

Just now, detfan782004 said:

I will lose a lot of respect for this University if they drag this out and are implicated.....it is messing up a lot of other kids and coaches dreams.  If you are guilty do not drag it out.  Take it...own it...learn and move on

Frankly, there's too much money involved for them to care about kids and dreams.