The Michigan/Sign Stealing Thread

BobbyPhil1781

12 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Freezing NIL spending is penalizing kids so doubt NCAA opens that can of worms as it would meet lawsuits.

They can penalize the school all they want 

12 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

That's true. Maybe allow current NIL deals for students to be done, but no future spending on new recruits. It would essentially neuter them on the recruitment trail

It's even more blatant - NIL only exists because the courts struck down the NCAA's ability to enforce rules that were on the books. The NCAA has no ability to regulate NIL money.

Which makes schools effectively sanction proof as long as kids prefer NIL money over championships.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

12 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

I just don't think it's enforceable imo. 

NCAA has really screwed up any real impact they can make on a school.

How they handle this thing could be the beginning of the end of NCAA which was already looking to be on thin ice.

They should have gotten ahead of NIL which is now ruining the game. 

Now it's also impacting the NFL with kids not having as much desire to go pro for certain teams.

Unless you tell UM you can't field a team you can't stop those players on field dr getting NIL based on Supreme Court rulings 

This is a good thing IMO. Going to force the NFL to up their rookie wage scale.

But yes CFB effectively has had no executive branch since COVID because they, just kinda gave up trying once the writing was on the wall that they wouldn't be able to keep the kids unpaid any more. Now there is no real judicial branch because the bulk of the revenue that kids are seeing is completely out of sight from the schools.

I cannot emphasize enough how much student athletes not being considered employees screws all of this up. This was entirely preventable (and is still entirely fixable). Give the kids the sweetheart deal in exchange for them not being contractors, let them unionize, get them healthcare, get a CBA together negotiated with the NCAA so it finally has something to do, and centralize the NIL money so that there's oversight.

Would have been infinitely cheaper to do this when the kids were having to take under the table money and Pandora's Box was still closed for the most part, but that's the stupid fee.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Obtaining the signals isn't the problem. It's how they were obtained. Best analogy I've seen is it's legal to throw a curveball but not legal to throw one using sandpaper. We know Stalions went to/had people at over 30 games, on both sidelines. We know he's heavily involved for a low-level staffer. We know shady **** is going on but they just need to find the smoking gun which doesn't seem like it's too far away. If they sent people to games and they recorded the sidelines (which I believe someone said they have proof of), that is illegal and said gun

I don't disagree with any of that I was responding solely to your claim, that I quoted, that the pictures prove THE PLAYERS knew what was going on. I'm saying that doesn't follow. They know the team had cracked the signals it doesn't mean they know how the staff was able to do that, or what the did.

EDIT: To be clear I have no doubt that Michigan cheated and that Harbaugh knew about it. I am more dubious that the players knew about the operation

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

I don't disagree with any of that I was responding solely to your claim, that I quoted, that the pictures prove THE PLAYERS knew what was going on. I'm saying that doesn't follow. They know the team had cracked the signals it doesn't mean they know how the staff was able to do that, or what the did.

EDIT: To be clear I have no doubt that Michigan cheated and that Harbaugh knew about it. I am more dubious that the players knew about the operation

The players obviously knew the signs and that their staffer had decoded them, which is why you can see from the one video 5+ players on the Michigan sideline staring at OSUs bench and all pointing up as soon as they saw the signal on the very first possession of the game. They were prepped on what the OSU signals meant pre-game.

So the signs were stolen and taught to the players by the coaching staff, Im just wondering if any of the players decided to ask "hey, how are we getting all of these when there is no tape out there that shows the opposing teams sideline? Are we really relying on their signals being the same as last year?"

Not one of the super smart kids that go to Michigan asked how is it possible their coaches have all of the signs to teach them before they even go into a game against the opponent? So 105 kids remained blissfully ignorant for 2.5 years? I dont know...its a tough sell that not one of them knew something fishy was going on--they were probably just too afraid to speak up about it.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

https://www.si.com/college/2023/10/25/michigan-connor-stalions-texts-stolen-signals 

In a lengthy text exchange from 2021, Stalions boasted of sign-stealing and close relations with the Wolverines’ ‘whole staff.’ He said he envisioned leading Michigan football one day and to prepare was creating a hundreds-page-long document he called ‘the Michigan Manifesto.’

“Pre-covid, stole opponent signals during the week watching tv copies then flew to the game and stood next to [then Michigan offensive coordinator Josh] Gattis and told him what coverage/pressure he was gettin,” Stalions continued.

Stalions, now 28, revealed that he was part of a small group of people—two of whom he said were at low-level positions on different college football coaching staffs—who were putting their heads together on a long-term plan to run the Michigan football program. Stalions claimed to have a Google document between 550 and 600 pages long that he managed daily, containing a blueprint for the Wolverines’ future. He referred the document as a movement more than a plan, dubbing it “the Michigan Manifesto.”

wtf

• Like 4