2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

With Caleb almost a foregone conclusion at #1  the draft strategy for me now focuses to trading down from #9 into the teens, hopefully picking up a cpl mid round picks, including a 2nd this year, and then taking the best available DL or OL available, preferably a DE like Verse, Turner or Chop.

Then we address our WR depth in the mid rounds. Lots of good talent available there to choose from that would compliment DJ and Keenan

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Might as well get back to the old days of Jake Long being announced as the 1st overall pick well before the draft itself.

I thought about that too, but i just love the suspense of waiting for the commissioner to announce it on TV.  Even if I’m 99.999999% certain of the pick, i still love it.  It would be nice to avoid a debate between rookie QBs, though.

35 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Me.  I wanted Sapp and Randy Moss and Pickens.  I hesitated on Jalen Carter, but honestly more because of his purported laziness than off field concerns.

I will definitely take high talent, bad character at times.  To me it would depend on what the bad character is and how talented they were.  

But I don't have the inside scoops or background interviews.  So I can never truly say what I would do without that.

IRL at middle school level, I passed on more talented kids for the 'A' team because of various reasons.  Laziness or crazy parents or attitude problem or whatever.   You have to.  

People talk about cancers on a team.  I don't know about other sports, but in football that is 100% real.  It can ruin you if wrong person or persons gain an influence.

Laziness is a massive thing to me. It was the sole reason I liked Mack more than Clowney, because Clowney's senior year he seemed to play safe WAY too much and got stopped by too much inferior talent. When he wanted to turn it on he'd dominate, but I despised that. With Mack I saw a guy that was relentless and had freakish athleticism. Obviously that one worked in my favor but I know there are a lot of times where effort just doesn't match with the talent. 

I also believe risk is something that is accounted for, but like I said with Pace - you don't get fired for 4th-5th round picks blowing up- you get fired for picking poorly with your top picks regularly and poor roster construction. Once you get 3rd and down I think that is where you take the bigger risks/swings. As much as you want pure professionals who are living life like a saint that just isn't realistic. You just have to make sure you have solid leadership in the staff and vets and go from there. 

Also if you swing and miss on a mid-late round prospect who ends up being a cancer, you trade him for pennies or just cut him. 

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Might as well get back to the old days of Jake Long being announced as the 1st overall pick well before the draft itself.

Back then before the slotted salaries for draft picks teams used to work out contracts for the top pick and sign guys before draft day. Even though that may already be happening I’m sure the league wouldn’t want any of it made public. The draft is such a tv show now. 15 years ago it was hardly that. 

52 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Caleb really is going to land in an excellent situation that no other 1st overall pick has.

I know were all looking deep into this Rookie WR class, but honestly, I wouldnt hate adding another established Vet at this point. 

Some got excited about that suggestion on Twitter about Mike Williams and I doubt he ends up here, but a field stretcher is really what we need. Gallup, MVS and Chark all could be good fits for that, but Id take some of the others as well who are still out there.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Laziness is a massive thing to me. It was the sole reason I liked Mack more than Clowney, because Clowney's senior year he seemed to play safe WAY too much and got stopped by too much inferior talent. When he wanted to turn it on he'd dominate, but I despised that. With Mack I saw a guy that was relentless and had freakish athleticism. Obviously that one worked in my favor but I know there are a lot of times where effort just doesn't match with the talent. 

I also believe risk is something that is accounted for, but like I said with Pace - you don't get fired for 4th-5th round picks blowing up- you get fired for picking poorly with your top picks regularly and poor roster construction. Once you get 3rd and down I think that is where you take the bigger risks/swings. As much as you want pure professionals who are living life like a saint that just isn't realistic. You just have to make sure you have solid leadership in the staff and vets and go from there. 

Also if you swing and miss on a mid-late round prospect who ends up being a cancer, you trade him for pennies or just cut him. 

I called Clowney a bust.  Pre-draft I mean.  And he pretty much was relative to expectation.  

Edited by dll2000

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I called Clowney a bust.  Pre-draft I mean.  And he pretty much was relative to expectation.  

I thought he would at least be a good player. Bush was who I called a bust pre-draft. 

His hype was just ridiculous. He wasn't a bad player at all though. 

So obviously we are all focused on #9 now, my question to you all is Who would you NOT trade out for, staying at #9 to take? 

Honestly my list is pretty short, Its Marvin Harrison, Joe Alt and Olu Fashanu. The rest Im not pounding the table for. 

If we end up staying for Nabers/Bowers/Odunze Im fine with it. If we get stuck there and have to take Verse or Turner I wont be up in arms, but Im also fine taking the gamble that one of them or JPJ are there after a trade down

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

So obviously we are all focused on #9 now, my question to you all is Who would you NOT trade out for, staying at #9 to take? 

Honestly my list is pretty short, Its Marvin Harrison, Joe Alt and Olu Fashanu. The rest Im not pounding the table for. 

If we end up staying for Nabers/Bowers/Odunze Im fine with it. If we get stuck there and have to take Verse or Turner I wont be up in arms, but Im also fine taking the gamble that one of them or JPJ are there after a trade down

I honestly don't think i have anyone like that. I think we've put ourselves in a good position to take really anyone we see as BPA. Don't get me wrong, I would be happy with any of the WRs names flashing up there, Alt, or Turner/Verse, but I would be just as happy if we snagged some additional draft capital in a trade back too. Murphy/Newton as 3T I would like, but they feel rich at 9, same with Latu, but I would like all those guys on the team. 

I thnk for me its guys i DONT want to see at 9, which is mostly the OL that are talked about as a RT or OG

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HuskieBear said:

I thnk for me its guys i DONT want to see at 9, which is mostly the OL that are talked about as a RT or OG

Oh yea, if youre taking a Lineman in the first 50 picks it has to be a clear upgrade at LT (only 2 guys out there for me) or a Center

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Oh yea, if youre taking a Lineman in the first 50 picks it has to be a clear upgrade at LT (only 2 guys out there for me) or a Center

even a center falls in the trade back range for me too. even if JPJ is your #1 you can still likely get a frazier or barton in the late 20s early 30s.

if a team in the 20s gets desperate to trade up to 9 and wants to throw in their 2025 1st i'm for it