Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

I haven’t seen much out of Saleh that says he’s a good HC. The defense is good, but it was awful year 1 and it’s not exactly a unique scheme. I think he’s better suited as a DC in the long run. His record speaks for itself.

6 game losing streak to end last season and it’s heading in that direction again.

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

While I sort of agree with Saleh, we need to be on the lookout for an offensive guy. It would be easier to find a bright OC to run the offense while Saleh keeps the defense humming. But I don’t want to miss out on a better HC. 

As if we should trust the Johnsons on making that call (because I would not assume they will let JD pick his own HC). Saleh, in my eyes, is holding up his end of this deal. It's the lack of talent at QB, the decimated OL, and the garbage OC that are letting us down each week.

The sad thing is we really can't even pencil many guys on this OL in for next year. Tippmann who has been struggling at C but also playing with terrible guards. AVT will be back but is not reliable at all and we do kind of overrate him. He is not an all-pro guard he's just good and versatile and anyone who is serviceable we think is elite lol. Becton really isn't very good but we do need him even if he isn't reliable and he isn't. Laken Tomlinson down right sucks at LG. Cut him please. We need to add at least one OT and RG at the very least and the unit will still project to be below average. 

22 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

The sad thing is we really can't even pencil many guys on this OL in for next year. Tippmann who has been struggling at C but also playing with terrible guards. AVT will be back but is not reliable at all and we do kind of overrate him. He is not an all-pro guard he's just good and versatile and anyone who is serviceable we think is elite lol. Becton really isn't very good but we do need him even if he isn't reliable and he isn't. Laken Tomlinson down right sucks at LG. Cut him please. We need to add at least one OT and RG at the very least and the unit will still project to be below average. 

The biggest failure on Douglas is offensive line. Becton over Wirfs, awful FA signings, AVT has been good but he traded up for him and he’s looking like an injury problem. I cannot fathom how they chose to go into this “Super Bowl” season with Becton and Brown as the starting OTs.

2 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

Interesting comment 

There were always rumors there was disagreement in the building

Its pretty easy in my opinion to decipher. They wanted Trevor Lawrence, we won a game and ruined that and woody said take a QB no matter what. so we took Zach. Id wager anything had woody not been involved we trade down or go a different direction. 

18 minutes ago, jetfan8178 said:

Its pretty easy in my opinion to decipher. They wanted Trevor Lawrence, we won a game and ruined that and woody said take a QB no matter what. so we took Zach. Id wager anything had woody not been involved we trade down or go a different direction.

All this is on Woody IMO. He's always more concerned about ticket sales than letting his staff work.

2 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

The biggest failure on Douglas is offensive line. Becton over Wirfs, awful FA signings, AVT has been good but he traded up for him and he’s looking like an injury problem. I cannot fathom how they chose to go into this “Super Bowl” season with Becton and Brown as the starting OTs.

Yeah I think Douglas knows what to prioritize and I like that he looks to always get value for his assets but his selections have just not been great. FA has been terrible for the most part as well. 

I think Saleh is a good leader and built a great defense which is what he is proficient in, but his in game coaching management has been poor as have been his OC choices. That being said I am now in favor of keeping him unless the change is for a proven good coach. As crazy as it sounds I would almost rather just keep GM and HC and either let Rodgers go elsewhere or retire. I am not a fan of the guys he brought here or this just being his show. I think this year was the window and it closed in 4 plays. He doesn't make us a super bowl team next year. We have way too many issues.

52 minutes ago, jetfan8178 said:

The way Saleh answered made it seem like he wanted to keep Sam and Joe D didnt and they took Zach. Darnold was horrible in his third year here but the roster was horrific and so was the coach. Even has a low end QB, we would be better if we traded down and kept Sam.

Got to rewatch a condensed version of the game and my god is this OL just pitiful. I never want to hear about Max Mitchell again, hes just horrendous. Tippmann also was noticeably really bad too. I stand by what I said, even next year this is projecting to be one of the worst lines in the sport even with AVT back. Its just bad all around. 

On defense, the LBs and Safeties were terrible. Whitehead has had some picks but he is a missed tackle machine. Quincy and Mosley were also pretty bad in space. Sauce wasn't good and we can't stop the run. The 4th down Ty Johnson screen was just brutal and the big TD catch and run from their 4th WR in the coverage Sauce blew. Maybe the worst game as a Jet from Gardner, he also needs to learn how to tackle. 

It may be a very painful Holiday season for this team. I think even the Falcons and Texans honestly beat us. Texans for sure. Falcons, Redskins and Patriots are the only realistic wins we have left. This team needs to retool and add more depth offensively. I honestly hope Rodgers wants out. Him being here really isnt going to do anything for us at this point. He isn't winning a SB here, hell I am not convince we could even have a winning record with him. Nobody can play behind that line.

I said it then and I'll continue to say it. The right move was trading out of the Zach Wilson pick and use the capital to build a competent offense around Sam.

Pairing a rookie HC, OC, and QB never works. Then toss in a bad offensive line and no skills position players just for fun. It was so stupid. 

Sam was bad but, at a bare minimum, it would have given LaFluer a chance to build the scheme up and offensive gameplan up. If sam and whichever vet they signed failed, the next QB they drafted would have been coming in to a far better situation. One where there would be talent and players experienced with the offensive system that could help the rookie QB grow.

The worst thing though, is this team and fanbase just loves repeating the cycle. This infatuation with chasing after some hot new QB, putting them in trash situations, being shocked when they don't perform well in said ****ty spot, deride them over every single bad outcome whether it's the QBs fault or not and beg for a backup that also looks like trash. Rinse and repeat. No patience, no long game, just keep throwing everything in the trash and hitting reset every two-three years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, drew39k said:

I said it then and I'll continue to say it. The right move was trading out of the Zach Wilson pick and use the capital to build a competent offense around Sam.

Pairing a rookie HC, OC, and QB never works. Then toss in a bad offensive line and no skills position players just for fun. It was so stupid. 

Sam was bad but, at a bare minimum, it would have given LaFluer a chance to build the scheme up and offensive gameplan up. If sam and whichever vet they signed failed, the next QB they drafted would have been coming in to a far better situation. One where there would be talent and players experienced with the offensive system that could help the rookie QB grow.

The worst thing though, is this team and fanbase just loves repeating the cycle. This infatuation with chasing after some hot new QB, putting them in trash situations, being shocked when they don't perform well in said ****ty spot, deride them over every single bad outcome whether it's the QBs fault or not and beg for a backup that also looks like trash. Rinse and repeat. No patience, no long game, just keep throwing everything in the trash and hitting reset every two-three years.

Man for the life of me I couldn't understand why we moved Darnold. he never had a real chance and the team was hot garbage. Had we landed Lawrence I would have understood but once we blew the tank we should have built around darnold and given him a real chance. I cant imagine what could have been if we didnt waste that #2 pick. Not to say Darnold would have been the savior but it could not have been worse than this. 

29 minutes ago, jetfan8178 said:

Man for the life of me I couldn't understand why we moved Darnold. he never had a real chance and the team was hot garbage. Had we landed Lawrence I would have understood but once we blew the tank we should have built around darnold and given him a real chance. I cant imagine what could have been if we didnt waste that #2 pick. Not to say Darnold would have been the savior but it could not have been worse than this. 

That last part was key. Whether or not Darnold played well or failed, we would have been in monster position with the picks we would have gotten in a trade down to build out a really good offensive line and wr core. The coaches would have had a better feel for how to operate an NFL team too. 

On 11/20/2023 at 9:46 PM, drew39k said:

A lot of people think it's as simple as just waving a magic wand to trade down from #2. That's an expensive move up and the scenario needs to play out perfectly for a team to trade up that far. 

That said I would've been fine taking Chase at #2. He was my guy all along if no Trevor that year.

We are bad and the future is not looking good. I'm not sure we get this figured out in time to convince Sauce and GW to re-sign here in a couple years. No room for error whatsoever.

5 hours ago, jetjuice said:

A lot of people think it's as simple as just waving a magic wand to trade down from #2. That's an expensive move up and the scenario needs to play out perfectly for a team to trade up that far. 

That said I would've been fine taking Chase at #2. He was my guy all along if no Trevor that year.

We are bad and the future is not looking good. I'm not sure we get this figured out in time to convince Sauce and GW to re-sign here in a couple years. No room for error whatsoever.

??? A team traded up to pick #3 in that draft. No magic wand needed to know that a team was willing to move up. Three first round picks and a third 

Playing the "what if" game can get tricky because of the trickle down effect. Even still, the player that was picked at 12(49ers) pick that would have been ours was Micah Parsons, or the player we picked at 14 (AVT) could have been selected without giving up additional picks. Guys like Darrisaw, Travis Etienne and Greg rosseau we're all available. Even after that we'd still have pick 29(wed probably have taken Elijah here)

Then we'd still have multiple high second rounders too. Plus a second first in the 2022 draft.

I should mention that my personal hope was penei sewell or Jamar chase so we would have had to do the Miami trade up after the Miami trade down to get Sewell(or waddle). I was pretty surprised to see Chase go over a tackle to the Bengals 

On 11/20/2023 at 6:08 PM, GangGreen420 said:

YOU ARE SURE RIGHT ON THIS POST i REMEMBER HOW MANY GUYS ON THIS BOARD WANTED WIRFS OVER BECTON,I REMEMBER WHEN BOBBY 816 WENT NUTS WHEN WE PICKED BECTON OVER WIRFS. THIS OFFENSIVE LINE HAS BEEN A MAJOR PROBLELM FOR THE LAST THREE OR FOUR YEARS. THERE IS HARDLY A WEEK GOES BY THAT I HAVE NOT BEEN ON THIS TERRIBLE O LINE.