Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

Outside of Rodgers, there was very little I liked about our offseason; thought JD dropped the ball, but again, because of Rodgers I didn't really care.

• Lazard was never good in GB. Hated the signing, and that was assuming he would be our 3/4
  • Same idea with Hardman
  • Not replacing CD and rolling with the aforementioned never made sense - I posted at the time that if GW were to go down, we would have the worst WRs in the league
  • Opting for Billy Turner as our primary swing tackle
  • Will McDonald > Jaxon Smith-Njigba looks like a mistake - I didn't have much of an opinion at the time, but plenty of people here were quick to call that out

I'm not going to fault Douglas for things that were out of his control... i.e. landing a top OL in FA. This is all stuff where he could have reasonably gone in a different direction, decisions he made (or didn't make) that collectively are a big reason as to why this offense is such a mess.

Still a big fan of JD, but definitely deserves some of the blame for this offense. 

Another thing, Hackett has been terrible.

Was never a fan of bringing him in, but if that's what it took to land Rodgers I get it. The guy just seems clueless as a play-caller - no rhythm, no identity, no creativity, no consistency. I'm sure someone else can break this down more insightfully.

The first few series are a good indicator for evaluating an offensive coordinator; 15 or so scripted plays that you've had all week to plan for, which in theory gives the offense a huge advantage. We've been abysmal at starting every game this season. 

18 hours ago, JetsandI said:

lol. your man crush for him is insanely staggering.    Anyway, it could be either him or veteran Dennis Kelly.

Its not so much a man crush as just being tired of the guys we have just failing miserably. It seems the youngsters play harder when given the chance and Warren has potential. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Not counting the Dallas game, he's been much better at not throwing picks, has lead 3 fourth quarter comebacks, and is now only partly the reason we lose games instead of being the sole reason (this week the loss was a team effort).

The floor on Zach is well below sea-level, so yeah, up from there isn't all the good, but where he is is progression nonetheless.

Yeah but his overall body of work is still pretty awful. Comebacks are nice but we need more than just a drive a game. He’s fumbled like 8 times in the last 5 games, literally ending the Chiefs game. I’m pretty sure his ELO is almost dead last behind  Brett Rypien. He still has no feel for the game and takes maddening sacks. He took a sack on 4th and game vs the Giants and we got incredibly lucky considering we had a 99.9% chance to lose.

Id still be getting Siemian at least up on the active roster. The Wilson and Hackett offense just isn’t working. Another game with no touchdowns, you have to start trying something.

12 hours ago, JetsandI said:

He was replaced by Ben Johnson as OC for Lions.  That certainly doesn't sound appealing for Jets. Well, at least.

That doesn't matter to me because some coaches are better as an HC than a play caller, like Dan Campbell. Not all HC's even call plays. 

The failure of our two high number # two draft picks has been a disaster. Both WR's Mims & Eljah Moore has left us with only Wilson, as our only dependable receiver. R Cobb has been a no show , Lazard is ok as the third receiver, and this guy Turner no nothing about this guy. The Offensive Wii never be any good till we get an Offensive line and another top WR. 

Year after year, teams whiff on players, but QB's seem to stand out most. We're quick to place blame on JD for things gone wrong, quickly forgetting things JD has done which have been positive and made us one of the most elite defenses in the NFL. 

SF trades 3 number one's  for a QB they would later release after 2 years, and I'm not sure he even played a whole game. We could go down the line team after team.

What drives most of us crazy is the talent that Zach has is undeniable and we have seen flashes of it and for one game against the Chiefs we saw what an elite Zach could be. Do the Jets have the QB they envisioned? Who knows. But right now, this team will not make a move unless AR says so. 

AR loves Saleh, Zach, JD, Hackett, so I don't see any changes until next year when AR comes back, Zach rides the pine, and the Jets see what they have in the offense of Hack.

I expect the Jets to go heavy offensively in FA and the 2024 draft, OT, G, WR or 2, the Jets don't have a plan at QB yet, so it is possible the Jets put the screws to Zach and bring some real back up comp.

But as it stand now, with this team, aside from Zach going to the bench and replace him a 3rd string qb would be disastrous. 

You are all but guaranteeing that the Jets have thrown in the towel sitting at 4-4, we can't do that with an elite D and an Offense which hasn't found itself yet. 

We have an OL which is a quilt make up of left overs, we have WR's who drop the ball, and an OL which can't open up running lanes. On top of that a QB that is asked to do the impossible OR haven't we learned anything from watching AR go down game one of the season. 

That this OL will cripple you, I'm sorry we have a terrible unit, Becton was out for 2 years, now AVT is 2 years running, we sign over the hill OL who have been hurt or out for the past 2 years, and second year or practice squad players thrown into the fire to make up bodies to stand in front of your QB, no matter who it is.

Our vaunted RB room consists of B.Hall, the rest are ghosts, has beens or players who have regressed.

Oh, but all that doesn't matter because our QB can't save us.

14 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

That doesn't matter to me because some coaches are better as an HC than a play caller, like Dan Campbell. Not all HC's even call plays. 

Maybe.  Because of Jets' forever offense, people may want to have heavyweight offensive side coaches or freshest ones.   Lynn is a cerebral coach like Saleh and that should cause some concerns for Woody and certain fans.

1 hour ago, Big T said:

Year after year, teams whiff on players, but QB's seem to stand out most. We're quick to place blame on JD for things gone wrong, quickly forgetting things JD has done which have been positive and made us one of the most elite defenses in the NFL. 

SF trades 3 number one's  for a QB they would later release after 2 years, and I'm not sure he even played a whole game. We could go down the line team after team.

What drives most of us crazy is the talent that Zach has is undeniable and we have seen flashes of it and for one game against the Chiefs we saw what an elite Zach could be. Do the Jets have the QB they envisioned? Who knows. But right now, this team will not make a move unless AR says so. 

AR loves Saleh, Zach, JD, Hackett, so I don't see any changes until next year when AR comes back, Zach rides the pine, and the Jets see what they have in the offense of Hack.

I expect the Jets to go heavy offensively in FA and the 2024 draft, OT, G, WR or 2, the Jets don't have a plan at QB yet, so it is possible the Jets put the screws to Zach and bring some real back up comp.

But as it stand now, with this team, aside from Zach going to the bench and replace him a 3rd string qb would be disastrous. 

You are all but guaranteeing that the Jets have thrown in the towel sitting at 4-4, we can't do that with an elite D and an Offense which hasn't found itself yet. 

We have an OL which is a quilt make up of left overs, we have WR's who drop the ball, and an OL which can't open up running lanes. On top of that a QB that is asked to do the impossible OR haven't we learned anything from watching AR go down game one of the season. 

That this OL will cripple you, I'm sorry we have a terrible unit, Becton was out for 2 years, now AVT is 2 years running, we sign over the hill OL who have been hurt or out for the past 2 years, and second year or practice squad players thrown into the fire to make up bodies to stand in front of your QB, no matter who it is.

Our vaunted RB room consists of B.Hall, the rest are ghosts, has beens or players who have regressed.

Oh, but all that doesn't matter because our QB can't save us.

Well said, BIG T, I AGREE

9 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Maybe.  Because of Jets' forever offense, people may want to have heavyweight offensive side coaches or freshest ones.   Lynn is a cerebral coach like Saleh and that should cause some concerns for Woody and certain fans.

Lynn got a 12 win season from Rivers and a rookie record-breaking season from a rookie QB with 2 different offensive coordinators. Rivers was 37 during that 12 win season and threw for 4,308yds, 68%, 32tds/12ints (probably his career-best season). The season before Lynn showed up, Rivers threw for 21 interceptions. He knew what to look for on offense to get good performances from his QBs. I'd be happy with him. 

Here is something to consider going into game 9 of the season and part of the reason our O stinks. The offensive line we're trotting out to both protect Zach and open up passing lanes is the 6th different offensive line of the season. So in theory does that make it an offensive line that has different moving parts at an average of 1.5 games?

How on earth can any QB in this league win with that kind of change rate? Now throw in a wr considered WR2 who drops the ball 20% of the time and has no speed to separate from a defender?

An OC who has been incapable of creating or changing something to get this team headed in the right direction. REALLY, REALLY, is it ONLY ZACH'S FAULT?

So all you armchair GM's and Youtube wanna be Jets Announcers just don't pontificate without really seeing the whole picture of why this team is struggling to put points on the board. Inviting so called Jets experts, making demands, and threats of "I'm sick and tired of this or that, trade this guy, cut that guy, bench this guy or that guy". 

Enough already, your entitled to your opinion and I respect that but darn 6th different offensive line in 9 games. Even you total Zach haters have to admit, its a tough gig to have playing for this team as a QB compounded by the fact that your in NYC and under the shadow of AR's return in the future.

1 hour ago, jetfan8178 said:

Its seems there are lots of OT options in the draft at least in 2024. Assuming Vera Tucker comes back healthy at RT theres hope to fix this line next season between draft and FA. I just hope they realize it needs more work than we have put into it

If they can sign the best OL guy in FA and draft a OL guy in the first then pick a QB in the third that can sit for a year or 2. I'm stil a fan of Baker Mayfield and think he would have the Jets with at least 2 more wins. A guy like Mayfield would have been perfect for the backup job. I woild love for the Jets to pick Quinn Ewers from Texas. I think he has a good chance to be above avege QB to a top 5 QB in the league. He has all the tools but just can't put it together yet. He does have a very good completion rate above 70% all year except 1 game. I love that stat. This shows me he can see the open man and throw a good ball to the open man. That is all I want. I don't care if he has a cannon or a 4.3 speed. That is just add on's that I could careless about. I hope he falls to the third or even trade up into the second to get him. 

• Like 1