Week 9: {5-2} Cow Patties @ {7-1} Eagles (Dallas's SB Edition)

Nabbs4u

5 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Disagree.  There has been to many movable parts in our secondary due to injury. We just started the same group in consecutive games for the first time all season and that was with Ricks playing SCB.

I am not saying Roby will fix all of our woes, he's not Maddox. But after the Bye Byard will be a full month int the system. Roby over a month into the system it will just depend on health. Blankenship included!

Yes it's a older secondary but it's a secondary minus Blankenship that has seen it all. Communication should get better and if we an stay healthy upfront (Carter) Davis, Cox, let the Dogs eat that too will only aide this secondary. 

LB 🤷‍♂️

All I do know is we are sitting here 8-1 after losing

I mean yeah, older secondary not playing to last year's level because they're one year older. But some of this problems predate this season and haven't been fixed, teams found out since last year and they are better at exploiting them now. 

Slot CB, should get better from "disastrous" that's wehere we're at at the moment. Byard who knows, he might as well be washed as some said, he might get better, I don't think he is as bad as he was on Sunday. 

I'm not saying it is unfixable other than LB (that sh*t is broken), I'm saying "we'll be fine" is very dismissive of a problem that has been present for a long time and some of it is rooted in roster construction.  

Edited by Broadway Joe

1 minute ago, Broadway Joe said:

I'm not saying it is unfixable other than LB (that sh*t is broken), I'm saying "we'll be fine" is very dismissive of a problem that has been present for a long time and some of it is rooted in roster construction.

While doubtful,  maybe this will be the wake up call Howie needed that ignoring the LB and Safety positions and treating them like after thoughts is the wrong approach.  

Doubtful,  but possible in the after season self scout process!!

From the Athletic weekly power rankings

2. Philadelphia Eagles (8-1)

(Last week: 1)

Sunday: Beat Dallas Cowboys 28-23

Report card: A

Philadelphia fans are not going to be happy falling a spot after a win over the Cowboys. That’s fair, but the Eagles were outgained 406-292 by Dallas on Sunday, and there are a couple of areas of concern to monitor. The Eagles have averaged fewer than 100 rushing yards in their last four games (86.8), and they are 20th in the NFL in yards per play allowed (5.3). Big picture though, they are 24-5 dating to 2022 and have established themselves as the clear favorite in the NFC.

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

While doubtful,  maybe this will be the wake up call Howie needed that ignoring the LB and Safety positions and treating them like after thoughts is the wrong approach.  

Doubtful,  but possible in the after season self scout process!!

You can't find someone that can want that more than we do. But if he didn't change his stance after going into a season with Nate Gerry/Alex Singleton and McLeod/Epps as your starts at LB/S, I don't think there's hope for him. 

If Roby is an adequate Slot CB our secondary will become so much better just because of that. If Bradberry can get his head on straight and start playing like he cares about the freaking game our secondary will be just fine. I will say Desai asking Bradberry to play so much man coverage is not very smart. He is a zone corner through and through and he is not going to play well if they ask him to play as much man as they did this weekend going forward. That said the tape shows a serious lack of effort from Bradberry this year and while I haven't seen anything from the All-22 this week I definitely saw some of it on the broadcast. He seems completely unwilling to come up and make a tackle this year and it is very frustrating. Hopefully the coaches get on his *** for it. Slay has been good this year, but we need to utilize him more because of that. Have him follow guys like Lamb going forward for the whole game please.

LB's are actually completely fine if Dean isn't playing imo. Morrow has actually been quite good and Cunningham is an excellent run defender. No they aren't All-Pro's who are great vs the run and pass but for what they are being asked to do they have been just fine. Dean unfortunately looks like he isn't going to be a player for us though which sucks because I really was a fan of that pick, but he has just not been good this year.

Just now, downundermike said:

I have seen what adding Roquan Smith to the Ravens defense has done.  I will have to find the post from a couple of weeks ago about it.

Oh ya just get a Roquan Smith! That is easy! Everyone has one of those!

Like I said some of you have no clue what LB play league wide looks like.

20 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Oh ya just get a Roquan Smith! That is easy! Everyone has one of those!

Like I said some of you have no clue what LB play league wide looks like.

Yeah, there is not another Roquan available, but good linebacker play has an impact, and can have a huge impact.

In the 17 games before acquiring Roquan Smith, the Ravens ranked 17th in points allowed, 27th in DEF EPA/play and 24th in DEF success% In the 17 games since acquiring him, they rank 1st, 1st and 3rd in those same categories.

The lb situation is what it is.  They've been mostly fine.  They could certainly do worse.  I think it's blatantly obvious though that the Eagles need to go get some secondary help in the off-season.  Hopefully Roby stabilizes the group a bit, but they clearly need to upgrade in the off-season.

On 11/7/2023 at 10:18 AM, Broadway Joe said:

I think that's one issue. But the imbalance of talent allocation, bad signings at CB this offseason (in hindsight), coaching, and the terrible LB/S corps we have contribute to that. 

Teams have completions on 3rd and long whenever they need them against us. It's like pressing a button. 

Either way, what you mention and what I mention haven't been fixed in a long long time, and doesn't look fixable during season, hence your original comment of "we'll be fine" is very debatable or dismissive of a very big problem with our team. 

I think it's fixable. They just need time. Injuries been kicking our butt this season. Imo that's the biggest reason most likely causing that issue. I think Dean going down tho might actually help as weird as that sounds. With the addition of Roby coming back in ofc.

The slot and Dean been a bad combo.

I'm just not a fan that panics halfway into a awesome season. Seems like a few posters have an issue with that and that's a them problem. If we were 5-4 then this is a different tune.

Can't really panic either when we got Hurts , WRs and both Lines. We'll always have a great shot at winning with all those. 

Our biggest test is incoming and we can revisit this after the bye + those next like 4 games.