Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

Ben Johnson is obv a good coach and deserves his shot, but in my opinion he benefits from people assuming Campbell is a meathead. I think the Lions' improvement is more about both of them together than people realize.

Johnson has also been having moments of inexplicable play calls here and there this season. I don't think he's a slam-dunk success right away if he gets a HC job this year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Ben Johnson is obv a good coach and deserves his shot, but in my opinion he benefits from people assuming Campbell is a meathead. I think the Lions' improvement is more about both of them together than people realize.

Johnson has also been having moments of inexplicable play calls here and there this season. I don't think he's a slam-dunk success right away if he gets a HC job this year.

Campbell is a meathead.  Evidenced by his lack of in game management decisions.  Of course being a great coordinator and play caller doesn't guarantee success because we have seen that play out so many times, but Johnson has proven himself to be a bright offensive mind and he's going to have plenty of suitors.

3 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

Campbell is a meathead.  Evidenced by his lack of in game management decisions.  Of course being a great coordinator and play caller doesn't guarantee success because we have seen that play out so many times, but Johnson has proven himself to be a bright offensive mind and he's going to have plenty of suitors.

I don't blame someone on the outside for calling him a meathead.

But it's hard to argue results.

• Like 4

Just now, scar988 said:

I'm honestly surprised Dimitroff hasn't gotten a 2nd shot yet. HE did a great job here.

I am too, tbh. Maybe his outside work is a big success and he doesn't care anymore, but that's just pure speculation. 

15 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I don't blame someone on the outside for calling him a meathead.

But it's hard to argue results.

Are we really going to defend his decision making in that Seahawks game?  Here's the thing about that stat.  It doesn't take into account in any way shape or form the 2 teams, the perceived talent of the 2 teams, how they're playing, weather conditions, etc.  Campbell has a history of being ultra aggressive in low leverage situations and then with the game on the line make decisions like he did against Seattle.  This myth that he's a really good in game coach has to stop.  And I like Campbell.  He's a good coach that has gotten his teams to play hard for him and surrounded himself with smart coaches.  

8 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

Are we really going to defend his decision making in that Seahawks game?  Here's the thing about that stat.  It doesn't take into account in any way shape or form the 2 teams, the perceived talent of the 2 teams, how they're playing, weather conditions, etc.  Campbell has a history of being ultra aggressive in low leverage situations and then with the game on the line make decisions like he did against Seattle.  This myth that he's a really good in game coach has to stop.  And I like Campbell.  He's a good coach that has gotten his teams to play hard for him and surrounded himself with smart coaches.  

Considering he took over a talentless team in 2021, that should only give him more credit if you think about it. Also I don't know if the tweet is using the same model that's explained here https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/breakdowns/win-probability-explained/ but 33rd's says it in fact does account for weather and expected points of previous possessions in the game.

Did we lose against Seattle, sure. The only thing I wish he did differently was kick a field goal earlier in the game instead of going for it.

I don't think he's done anything egregious since that game.

• Like 1

The hype around Wink Martindale and Mike Kafka getting head coaching jobs has obviously cooled, but I expect Giants assistant GM Brandon Brown to get interviews for GM again this cycle, and he almost certainly will get hired elsewhere soon. He's a very bright, young mind. He came up through the Eagles organization but was hired away by Schoen to be the AGM of the Giants before the 2022 season.