Coach of the year

Steelersfan43

21 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

It’s the same thing across all sports

It's literally not, but k.

21 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

All those turnovers and he still leads the league in TD’s and total yardage. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah...he throws for 500 yards while turning the ball over 5 times. This is common knowledge.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Your logic doesn't track at all!

McVay is a play caller, at least LAR is good offensively.

Ryans is also a play caller - Houston is not good defensively.

So by your logic, they don't oversee the entire team either!

There is a long precedent of giving the COTY to the HC of a team that massively outperformed expectations to make the playoffs. The Texans and Rams fit the bill. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DawgX said:

No, but you're crazy if you don't think he had a say in who the DC was.

And that's a f'ing joke man. Look at the predictions on this forum alone before the season. Most thought we'd finish last or third in the division at best. Revisionist history right there. And that was before we got decimated by injuries.

Again, no one is saying Stefanski would deserve COTY if we won 11 games with a relatively healthy roster. He deserves COTY (or Ryans) because he won 11 games with a roster decimated by injuries. And not just injuries to a bunch of JAGs, but injuries to very key players.

I don't see how you can say that Stefanski deserves COTY with a straight face knowing damn well he had no part to play in the Browns signing Joe Flacco who then carried them to where they are.

It should be Ryans or Campbell imo.

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

There is a long precedent of giving the COTY to the HC of a team that massively outperformed expectations to make the playoffs. The Texans and Rams fit the bill. 

Yeah so do the Browns, and out of those 3 teams they're probably the best.

1 hour ago, BillSabre said:

Oh….. I thought the narrative was the Bills were expected to regress this season. Also, are injuries “fires” that the Bills started??? Maybe I’m confused here but the bottom line is the Bills were 5-5 and counted out by nearly everybody and came back to win the division and take the number two seed. Those are the facts. If you don’t believe McDermott should be mentioned here then maybe Josh should be  getting some MVP votes. 

The Bills did regress. They went from 13-3 to 11-6. Again, why would people give McDermott credit for climbing out of a hole he dug?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

It's going to be DeMeco Ryans. McVay is already an established entity. They'll want to reward the first-year HC.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

Has Kyle won it yet? If not, probably him. If he has won it in the past, gotta be Ryans or McVay. 

Kyle has never won it and I doubt that he ever will at this juncture (at least with the niners)

3 hours ago, BillSabre said:

I’m not sure why McDermott isn’t being mentioned in this conversation. Bills were 5-5 with many injuries to key players and won 6 of 7 games to storm back to win the division and secure the second seed. I mean, my vote would go to Ryans but my point remains. Not even a mention for him. Seems weird considering the circumstances. 

I think you could make a reasonable case that he would fall outside of the top 10 just as easily, tbh. Doesn't mean I think all of them have done a better job, but frankly if I can put you 11th in a vote, I'm probably not going to entertain you as a serious candidate. Here are the 10 guys I think you can at least have a conversation about placing higher on a ballot: 

Shanahan, McVay, Lafleur, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Stefanski, O'Connell, Steichen, Ryans, Dan Campbell

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

I don't see how you can say that Stefanski deserves COTY with a straight face knowing damn well he had no part to play in the Browns signing Joe Flacco who then carried them to where they are.

Huh? Where's your proof?

Oh yeah, Campbell who led the Lions to the playoffs when everyone thought they'd make the playoffs.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It's going to be DeMeco Ryans. McVay is already an established entity. They'll want to reward the first-year HC.

Even so, I swear McVay is the only coach in the league who can make a mid-round or late-round skill position player look like CMC and Justin Jefferson on the regular. Jeeze. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Even so, I swear McVay is the only coach in the league who can make a mid-round or late-round skill position player look like CMC and Justin Jefferson on the regular. Jeeze. 

You know I was just praising Kyle for that this year. And yet I overlook mcvay. Honest to god he’s spoiled us. I was a ticket season holder since the start.. You wouldn’t BELIVE how many people wanted him fired after last year. It’s either 13+ wins or we had a bad season… Guy turned 2 guys that no one wanted into bonafied super stars this season in Kyren and Puka. He finds football players and just amplifies what they do best. He did the same with Kupp and has established a culture. He took Goff who everyone thought he was a bust and made him a probowl QB. Even in Det Goff best seasons are under Mcvay. 

28 TDs, 7 Int, 3,804 yards and 8.0 YPA 100 rating.  Then he followed it up with. 

32 TDs, 12 int, 4,688 yards And 8.4 101 raring. 

This years was his best. 

30 TDs, 12 int, 4,575 yards 7.6 YPA, 97 rating. 

Sometimes the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Not to mention how the coaching staff has been ripped apart since the start of his tenure. 

Zac Taylor, KOC, Brandon Staley Jeff Fisch and Matt Lefluer.. and we lost Brad Holmes to Det whose building a monster out there.. I love this man. Just wonder how much longer he’s going to coach.. He’s done it all. I hope he rides off to the sunset and lives his best life. 

4 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Thats why it’s coach of the years and not executive of the year. 

Edited by sdrawkcab321

4 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Thats why it’s coach of the years and not executive of the year. 

Yeah stefanski didn’t do anything he got lucky that the browns signed Joe Flacco. Y’all miss the playoffs without him.

11 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

Has Kyle won it yet? If not, probably him. If he has won it in the past, gotta be Ryans or McVay. 

How does whether a guy has won it or not in the past affect whether he deserves it this year?

This award needs to be redefined or renamed lol, it just goes to the coach of the team who improved the most contrary to expectations. It's kind of ridiculous that guys like Shanahan aren't considered.