Coach of the year

Steelersfan43

8 hours ago, 43M said:

I dont think some people actually look beyond wins and losses when it comes to Tomlin.   And if you tell them that the team is mediocre at best, its everyone fault EXCEPT Tomlin's.

Funny how that works.

This team is 6-3.

Its been laughably embarrased in two of those losses.

They had no business winning either division game, especially the Ravens game as mentioned.

So, at best, this team should be 4-5.

Then barely eeked out 4 wins vs a terrible Josh McD led Raiders team, a mediocre Titans team with a raw rookie QB, and middling at best Packers and Rams teams.

Im not trying to dump on Tomlin or acting like he is the reason for all of the teams issues.   There is plenty of blame to go around up and down the organization....but to suggest he is anything close to coach of the year worthy is nothing short of ridiculous.

I'ma stay outta the Tomlin discussion this time, but you know this is the part of the cycle where Tomlin's team overachieves for a playoff win and he gets extended before going 8-8-1 next year. 

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Soggust said:

If it wasn't, Kyle Shanahan might have a ring. Or the Steelers would have had more over last two decades. Or the Patriots would have won in 07. Or the Chargers would have done something. etc etc etc

Talent is inherently subjective and punishing a coach because we feel like he should have done more is unrealistic imo.

Sure, wins shouldn't be everything. Like, if we were comparing a 14-3 Eagles team loaded with talent vs an overachieving hypothetical 11-6 Raiders team, then I would think the talent argument would make a lot of sense. But when you are giving it to a 9-7-1 team over them because "hey the Giants suck and now they're mid", then if feels like apart from a flawless or 1 loss season, it's impossible to win as a previously successful coach.

It's no longer a factor, it's literally the entire argument.

That point would be valid here if I thought Daboll ever should have been Coach of the Year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Forge said:

He'll be in there for now, but ultimately I think a lot of the guys in this position will get sorted by the end of the year as not all of them will make the playoffs. You basically have no shot if you don't get your team into the post season 

Absolutely, Steichen needs to make the playoffs to win or get a winning record to even be considered. That's what the award is, after all - essentially a "most improved team" award.

3 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

And yet... the Steelers were less talented than the Ravens, Browns, Rams, 49es, Jaguars, and Packers... Like we cannot sit here and pretend that the 6-3 Steelers are as talented as every other team that's 6-3. The quality of opponents isn't being held against every one else.

And it's incredibly facetious to claime they had no business beating the Browns. Their defense dominated the Browns at the LOS to the tune of 6 sacks and 2 scoring turnovers. Aside from a 69 yard lucky run on a cutback, the Browns had an average running game, and DeShaun Watson was (somehow) outplayed by our Bottom 5 in the NFL QB.

Your dislike for Tomlin is clowding your vision here.

My "dislike" for Tomlin is entirely because people laughably overrate him and pretend he is something he isn't.   

Also, they want to give him credit for everything good and exempt him from everything bad.    Its the flipside of the issue I had with certain Steelers fans years ago who gave him zero credit when we played well and blamed him for everything when we lost.    

As far as us being less talented...okay...

1)   Tomlin has a hand in the talent we bring in.   Funny how often people conveniently ignore that fact.

2)   One of Tomlins biggest strengths is he tends to get the most out his teams when they are down....and I like that about him, but it hurts us too because it justifies major and NEEDED changes not being made.   

3)  On the flipside, Tomlin teams regularly UNDERachieved when we were one of the more talented teams in the league.    So lets not act like this is all talent related.    Tomlin rarely gets 4 full quarters out of his teams.    This team regularly runs hot and cold under them, regardless of talent.

Someone summed it up well in the Steelers forum....the things Tomlin does well, he is VERY good at....but the things he struggles with he is really really bad at and probably shouldn't be involved with much....but is.

As far as the Browns game, Chubb was gashing us before he went down, and the Browns had 200 yards rushing.    Saying we "dominated" their line is laughably misleading.    But you know what....I will give you that one.   Doesn’t change my overall point.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Mike Tomlin is just Jeff Fisher with better facial hair

Ive actually compared him to Jeff Fisher before, funnily enough.

I do think Tomlin is better than Fisher, but has similar issues.   I always referred to Fisher as a "training wheels coach"....a coach who can go to a bad team and make them decent, but cant really get them over the hump.....and its very arguble that Tomlin hasnt gotten this team over the hump since he truly made the Steelers HIS team.

Bottom line, Tomlin is a pretty good, but ultimately, extremely flawed coach.   He isnt to blame for all of our issues, but he certainly plays a big part in many of them.

• Like 2

I'd love KOC to win it,  but Demeco Ryans  is my front runner right now with Dan Campbell a close 2nd.

I think Houston has to win their division though for DR to get it.  Otherwise it's Campbell. So I'm expecting it to change. 

If Minnesota somehow wins the division (we have to win out), KOC sneaks in and steals it.