Coach of the year

Steelersfan43

I'm tired of these coaches who take a below average team and get lucky in a few one-score games, barely make the playoffs, and get coach of the year. 

It's just embarrassing to have Daboll as coach of the year when Kyle Shanahan hasn't won it. 

Building a super bowl contending juggernaut is much more difficult than eking out close wins against crappy teams. 

IMO if a coach doesn't have 10 wins at this point they should be disqualified. So I accept Campbell and McDaniels as candidates, but Shanahan is clearly the best HC this year and it's not particularly close.  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I'm tired of these coaches who take a below average team and get lucky in a few one-score games, barely make the playoffs, and get coach of the year. 

It's just embarrassing to have Daboll as coach of the year when Kyle Shanahan hasn't won it. 

Building a super bowl contending juggernaut is much more difficult than eking out close wins against crappy teams. 

IMO if a coach doesn't have 10 wins at this point they should be disqualified. So I accept Campbell and McDaniels as candidates, but Shanahan is clearly the best HC this year and it's not particularly close.  

I agree with you but at least last year was an exception...If we look at the record for the coach of the year each time since at least 2010, each had at least 11 wins

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I think it's hard to argue against stefanski based on their record and the number of QBs they've gone through.

Yes, this was impressive last year too, when Kyle Shanahan did it.  Brian Daboll won the award though. 

I would give it Ryans because I feel like he changed the organization more than any other coach, but using this criteria is highly favorable to 1st year coaches.  Sports awards are usually highly subjective, where different arguments hold different weights different years based on who knows what. 

15 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Yes, this was impressive last year too, when Kyle Shanahan did it.  Brian Daboll won the award though. 

I would give it Ryans because I feel like he changed the organization more than any other coach, but using this criteria is highly favorable to 1st year coaches.  Sports awards are usually highly subjective, where different arguments hold different weights different years based on who knows what. 

Shanny went through 3, not 4. Shanny also didn't have the additional injuries that Cleveland has had which is what should really give stafanski a push.

Ryans, steichen... They still have to make the playoffs. Don't think it's been given to a non playoff coach since Jimmy Johnson 30 years ago

He's currently sitting like 5th in the odds, so he almost certainly isn't going to win it, but the team result with the adversity is the best in football imo

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Shanny went through 3, not 4. Shanny also didn't have the additional injuries that Cleveland has had. Ryans, steichen... They still have to make the playoffs. Don't think it's been given to a non playoff coach since Jimmy Johnson 30 years ago

That's the thing with these awards, I try to compare things that are comparable, but they are not identical so they cannot be compared because they are different.  Like, what even is the basis for coach of the year?

The Texans have sucked for many years, now they don;'t suck, and that is pretty impressive.  He changed over personnel at every level of offense, defense, and  the coaching staff.  Playoffs, or no playoffs, nobody expected them to play as well as they have.  

Is it the coach that got the most from his guys?  Affected the team the most since the prior year?  Had to overcome the most adversity?  Is it just the crappiest team from last year to make the playoffs.

I feel like generally speaking, p]eople come up with their own favorites, then come up with a criteria that supports their guy, then they relentlessly defend their guy using the specific criteria they created.  Is that what I am doing with Ryans?  

23 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

That's the thing with these awards, I try to compare things that are comparable, but they are not identical so they cannot be compared because they are different.  Like, what even is the basis for coach of the year?

The Texans have sucked for many years, now they don;'t suck, and that is pretty impressive.  He changed over personnel at every level of offense, defense, and  the coaching staff.  Playoffs, or no playoffs, nobody expected them to play as well as they have.  

Is it the coach that got the most from his guys?  Affected the team the most since the prior year?  Had to overcome the most adversity?  Is it just the crappiest team from last year to make the playoffs.

I feel like generally speaking, p]eople come up with their own favorites, then come up with a criteria that supports their guy, then they relentlessly defend their guy using the specific criteria they created.  Is that what I am doing with Ryans?  

So general rule of thumb, I think that this is how the award is given (the reason I was adamant last year that Daboll was going to win the award and Shanny had no real shot). 

A) Take over bad team and out perform expectations. This by far the most important piece year in and year out. That's why you get so many mediocre coaches who win the award. **Being a relatively new coach helps imo, but is not a requirement (see John Harbaugh). The most important piece is simply outperforming the original expectations for your squad. 

B) Make playoffs (You often have to win 10 games as well, but there is a little more leniency there as we saw last year with Daboll). 

Injuries do play a role (as they impact expectations). The rate at which they impact the award  varies (likely based on just how good the team ended up being and how severe the injuries were) and whether or not there is a team coach that qualifies based on A / B and if injury impacted coach also exceeded expectations (see Mike Vrabel in 2021. Titans were ravaged by injuries and he was given the award. Zac Taylor also got some love as the pre season expectations for the Bengals was only a 6.5 o/u, however Vrabel suffered those injuries, also overshot his projected win total by 3 games (even if it wasn't as low as Taylor's) and I believe that was the year that they were the 1 seed in the AFC). The only time Reid won the award was when he had to use 3 starting QBs in the same year

But I think that new coach ---> bad team to good team is the most surefire way to win the award provided you make the playoffs. 

One of the things that's also hurting Stefanski this year though is that the multiple QB things is a little saturated. I mean, KOC is on QB 3 as well and has the Vikings in the playoffs. Steichen lost his starter for the year in the first month. Tomlin is on QB3 and fighting for the playoffs. Bengals are fighting for the playoffs with their backup QB for over half the year. So I don't think that Stefanski is going to get the love for doing what he is doing on qb4. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

So general rule of thumb, I think that this is how the award is given (the reason I was adamant last year that Daboll was going to win the award and Shanny had no real shot). 

A) Take over bad team and out perform expectations. This by far the most important piece year in and year out. That's why you get so many mediocre coaches who win the award. **Being a relatively new coach helps imo, but is not a requirement (see John Harbaugh). The most important piece is simply outperforming the original expectations for your squad. 

B) Make playoffs (You often have to win 10 games as well, but there is a little more leniency there as we saw last year with Daboll). 

Injuries do play a role (as they impact expectations). The rate at which they impact the award  varies (likely based on just how good the team ended up being and how severe the injuries were) and whether or not there is a team coach that qualifies based on A / B and if injury impacted coach also exceeded expectations (see Mike Vrabel in 2021. Titans were ravaged by injuries and he was given the award. Zac Taylor also got some love as the pre season expectations for the Bengals was only a 6.5 o/u, however Vrabel suffered those injuries, also overshot his projected win total by 3 games (even if it wasn't as low as Taylor's) and I believe that was the year that they were the 1 seed in the AFC). 

But I think that new coach ---> bad team to good team is the most surefire way to win the award provided you make the playoffs. 

One of the things that's also hurting Stefanski this year though is that the multiple QB things is a little saturated. I mean, KOC is on QB 3 as well and has the Vikings in the playoffs. Steichen lost his starter for the year in the first month. Tomlin is on QB3 and fighting for the playoffs. Bengals are fighting for the playoffs with their backup QB for over half the year. So I don't think that Stefanski is going to get the love for doing what he is doing on qb4. 

Man, that is complicated.  I like the coaches that call the good plays and help the players do the right things in the right ways. 

So, it's the usually the guy that goes from 5 to 10 wins.   

Cambell has done a helluva job, but he got hot late last year so a lot of people expected the Lions to be good.  Expectedly going from 7 to 12 wins.  COTY Rating 6/10

The Dolphins were good last year as well.  McD is a great coach, but they are expectedly going from 9 wins to 14 wins.  He shoulda won last year over Dabol.  COTY 6/10. 

Ryans has turned the texans around quickly.  3 to 9 wins, unexpectedly, no playoffs.  COTY 7\10

Browns guy has been there for four years already, but has built a solid squad.   He went form 7 to 11 wins expectedly, but with extra hardship. 7\10

5 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Man, that is complicated.  I like the coaches that call the good plays and help the players do the right things in the right ways. 

So, it's the usually the guy that goes from 5 to 10 wins.   

Cambell has done a helluva job, but he got hot late last year so a lot of people expected the Lions to be good.  Expectedly going from 7 to 12 wins.  COTY Rating 6/10

The Dolphins were good last year as well.  McD is a great coach, but they are expectedly going from 9 wins to 14 wins.  He shoulda won last year over Dabol.  COTY 6/10. 

Ryans has turned the texans around quickly.  3 to 9 wins, unexpectedly, no playoffs.  COTY 7\10

Browns guy has been there for four years already, but has built a solid squad.   He went form 7 to 11 wins expectedly, but with extra hardship. 7\10

Keep in mind, what I'm talking about it how I perceive how the award is given out. Not my own criteria or anything. For me, Stefanski deserves the award this year, but as I mentioned above, he's likely not going to win it. 

I think that they are almost always hoping to just have a bad team get good (go from 5 to 10 wins, as you said) and then just give it to that guy if he makes the playoffs. I think it gets convoluted if they don't have that guy or if someone else's situation is so massively crazy you can't ignore it. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

He has amazing talent to work with. It's not like he's taking scrubs and winning. 

roster talent is a must to consider 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

Keep in mind, what I'm talking about it how I perceive how the award is given out. Not my own criteria or anything. For me, Stefanski deserves the award this year, but as I mentioned above, he's likely not going to win it. 

I think that they are almost always hoping to just have a bad team get good (go from 5 to 10 wins, as you said) and then just give it to that guy if he makes the playoffs. I think it gets convoluted if they don't have that guy or if someone else's situation is so massively crazy you can't ignore it. 

You brought up a good point about CLE winning with 4 QBs this year.  Nearly every year that is significant,  but this year there are several teams doing similar ( indy, cincy, Minnesota, Pittsburgh).  That takes some shine off that for sure

• Like 1

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

He lost to Stefanski though, who also has 10 wins with 4 different QBs.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I think it's hard to argue against stefanski based on their record and the number of QBs they've gone through.

The Browns have the 27th ranked offense and 1st ranked defense (by DVOA). 

Seems like that's a case for Jim Schwartz as assistant coach of the year. Stefanski is the playcaller and leader of a terrible unit (terrible due to injuries, but terrible nonetheless).